EU referendum/Brexit discussion - Part 2

john999boy

1 hour ago, Skoffski said:

The Vote in 1975 was  clearly to remain in the European Community.

62.23% stay, 32.77 leave on a 64.62% turnout.   Or so i read from wiki.

62.23% of 64.62% = 40.21% of those eligible to vote. Under the unique terms of that referendum (Parliament passed the Bill that enabled the Referendum with the condition that 40% of those eligible to vote was required for a result to be valid) that amounts to a very marginal victory for Remain - much closer than the 52:48 of the 2016 Referendum.

Those of us eligible to vote at the time remember how demotivated many voters were as they felt that Parliament had "rigged" the terms of the Referendum to ensure that they got the result they wanted.

Edited by PetrolDave

8 minutes ago, domhnall said:

I think you misunderstand. They're not cancelling the car. They're taking it away from the UK. After all now there's a Japan EU trade deal they can build it tariff free in Japan. Lot less risky than waiting to see what the UK does next. After all the prime minister just voted down her own policy and the deal she spent 2 years negotiating. 

Didn't the C&UP and May give assurances to Nissan last year?
Obviously those 'assurances' were worth < SFA.
I wonder how the leave voting constituents of Sunderland are feeling right now. Everyone knew what they were voting for, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NISSAN have not made an announcement yet.  So Theresa and fire fighting team can move their lazy backsides and put the record button on for the Saturday night telly.

Dirty diesel SUV's,  when has the UK ever needed them.  When is there ever snow mayhem in England,  Doh. 

Well snow mayhem where WLTP   tested cars with OEM ECO tyres were any good.

Edited by Skoffski

Not sure what Theresa can say that will convince them that the UK is a safe bet. Nor why they can be expected to honour anything they agree to given their growing track record for breaking their word. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

28 Ministers agreeing on anything, highly unlikely, just like every cabinet formed in the last forty years, can't agree on anything so nothing ever changes for the better.:thumbup:

Given you only joined this topic recently and said you'd only make the one post you've become pretty vocal so let me ask you something;
Why did you vote to leave and what did you think the benefits of leaving the EU would be?
Do you still believe what you voted for on 23/06/2016 or has your position shifted?
If it has, what do you believe now is best for the UK?
Oh, re the faux psych analysis you mentioned; You said your wife was a MH nurse (or something like that) Ask her to explain 'normalcy bias' to you :) 

9 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Given you only joined this topic recently and said you'd only make the one post you've become pretty vocal so let me ask you something;
Why did you vote to leave and what did you think the benefits of leaving the EU would be?
Do you still believe what you voted for on 23/06/2016 or has your position shifted?
If it has, what do you believe now is best for the UK?
Oh, re the faux psych analysis you mentioned; You said your wife was a MH nurse (or something like that) Ask her to explain 'normalcy bias' to you :) 

Too young to vote in 1975 and since 1982 when I could vote I have wanted to leave the EU so not a recent decision for me. Final post on here to keep you happy, but feel free to keep moaning/complaining from Germany or wherever you call home. Proud to have been born in Britain, work in Britain and pay taxes in Britain. Work for a USA company (very famous) who will benefit from Brexit and no worries on the job front as we import 90% of our goods from Asia so big profit margins which will not be affected by Politicians in Brussels or Westminster.:clap:

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Too young to vote in 1975 and since 1982 when I could vote I have wanted to leave the EU so not a recent decision for me. Final post on here to keep you happy, but feel free to keep moaning/complaining from Germany or wherever you call home. Proud to have been born in Britain, work in Britain and pay taxes in Britain. Work for a USA company (very famous) who will benefit from Brexit and no worries on the job front as we import 90% of our goods from Asia so big profit margins which will not be affected by Politicians in Brussels or Westminster.:clap:

Congrats on not answering a single point of my post.
Another brex****ter who can't give a straight answer to a simple set of questions.
Oh, those goods you import from Asia; you might want to check what WTO tariffs and quotas would be imposed on them by the unelected and completely unaccountable bureaucrats in Geneva :D 

2 hours ago, domhnall said:

I think you misunderstand. They're not cancelling the car. They're taking it away from the UK. After all now there's a Japan EU trade deal they can build it tariff free in Japan. Lot less risky than waiting to see what the UK does next. After all the prime minister just voted down her own policy and the deal she spent 2 years negotiating. 

Exactly 

Sunderland was all about proximity to the continent and the massive market.

British Nissan sales would be microscopic in comparison.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nissan are moving to France as they have been pressing for a Renault Nissan merger rather than an alliance and with Ghosn out there is little to hold this back. 

4 minutes ago, CWARD said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nissan are moving to France as they have been pressing for a Renault Nissan merger rather than an alliance and with Ghosn out there is little to hold this back. 

Maybe it’s a way of deflecting criticism of the way Ghosn is effectively being tortured by the Japanese in order to extract a confession.

Carlos is expendable apparently.

I noticed the right wing scheisse stirring media are up in arms at the thought of Gibralter being called a 'Colony'. 
(New war of words over the Rock: No10 slams the EU after Gibraltar is labelled a 'colony' in draft laws to give Britons visa-free travel after Brexit)
Daily Heil, 1/02/19.

It's what you voted for. BLUUUUUUUUUUUE PASSPORTS (value may be diminished) 

Gibraltar_old_passport.jpg

30 minutes ago, CWARD said:

On the other hand Japan has recently signed a trade deal with the EU, which will reduce car import tariffs into the EU from 10% to 0% over the next 8 years. If you were a Japanese car manufacturer where would you make your future investments?

On the flip side the EU can sell more cheese to Japan.

• Like 1

Let's face it the British car industry was finished yonks ago, Honda, Nissan et al only set up plants over here to get around import restrictions. So the British car industry is just a bunch of Brit workers assembling cars for foreign owned companies they were sold out years ago. Workers that are far easier to get rid of than their mainland European counterparts, car sales drop and they are gone. Movement of production by both JLR and Mini was decided before the referendum. all subsidised by the EU which means you dear UK taxpayer. If a production line for RHD drive cars from Mercedes and others had been set up in the UK rather than anywhere but the UK, possibly there biggest market, then ref voters might have felt a bit different, we might have felt part of that great wondrous European dream.

To that great plastic German tripehund Gibralter is not a colony.

1 minute ago, moley said:

In competition with Australia which has no trade protection and is highly efficient.

EU farmers are protected from Australian competition.

2 minutes ago, moley said:

On the other hand Japan has recently signed a trade deal with the EU, which will reduce car import tariffs into the EU from 10% to 0% over the next 8 years. If you were a Japanese car manufacturer where would you make your future investments?

Japan also has an ageing population and a declining birth rate AFAIK. 
Good standard of living, low crime rate, low unemployment.
Maybe they'd like some young EU migrant workers to look after their aged and fill job vacancies in tech and auto plants.
Just a thought.

Just now, Lee01 said:

Japan also has an ageing population and a declining birth rate AFAIK. 
Good standard of living, low crime rate, low unemployment.
Maybe they'd like some young EU migrant workers to look after their aged and fill job vacancies in tech and auto plants.
Just a thought.

Pretty much an homogeneous society, as in spot the non Japanese........they certainly have a problem though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, essexalan said:

. all subsidised by the EU which means you dear UK taxpayer. If a production line for RHD drive cars from Mercedes and others had been set up in the UK rather than anywhere but the UK, possibly there biggest market, then ref voters might have felt a bit different, we might have felt part of that great wondrous European dream.

To that great plastic German tripehund Gibralter is not a colony.

I'm sure you've got sources to verify your claims that the EU subsidised the movement of JLR and BMW Mini and that 'If a production line for RHD cars.....................etc' haven't you, essexalan from Bedfordshire?

2 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

Pretty much an homogeneous society, as in spot the non Japanese........they certainly have a problem though.

I wonder if 'are Tommeh' Robinson will move there and start a 'Nippon First' movement ;)

I love how this works. I make a claim and a wrexiteer asks me to back it up which, more often than not, I have done.
I ask if a wrexiteer can back up their claim and I'm told to go Google it.
Right, gotcha.
Wrexiteers can't back up their claims. :thumbup: 
@shyVRS245 runs away and @CWARD et al still haven't proven how brex**** will benefit Britain. 
That's where we are, folks. Blue passports, WTO RULEZ OK, sunlit uplands and a ****ing field full of unicorns.

Oh, and one more thing (as Columbo would say). Scotland didn't vote for it, NI didn't vote for it and the Welsh Assembly rejected it.
Maybe it should be just called 'Exit'. Little ****ing England.

• Like 1