EU referendum/Brexit discussion - Part 2

john999boy

Nothing is being done at all. Mrs May and her breezy lead negotiator, David Davis, offer platitudes about Britain embracing the globe and no deal being better than a bad deal, but even the most innocent negotiator in the EU team can see this is vainglorious posturing. They are betting on a deal being struck – negotiators with few cards, nor making sure they hold better ones. As matters stand, the consequence of no deal would be calamitous.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/03/britain-being-led-to-epic-act-self-harm-brexit

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Well, the timescale for leaving is short anyway; why in the name of sanity did Mayfly squander 3 months of it by not negotiating and then having a General Election?

Why did she call an election she said, repeatedly, that  she she wouldn't call? That's easy. Because she wanted a mandate which she said she already had.

Keep up, Ken :D;)

Donald Trump will be introducing sanctions on the UK and UK Banks as being the home base for terrorists.

He will just have to concentrate on deals with Saudi Arabia because they have nothing to do with funding it.

He can maybe even get them to host the nuclear deterrents because they would never use them against the other US supported country Israel.

Just imagine the President of the United States of America's reaction if there has to be a coalition Government in the UK with Jeremy Corbyn as the PM.

Edited by Awayoffski

20 hours ago, Lee01 said:

Why did she call an election she said, repeatedly, that  she she wouldn't call? That's easy. Because she wanted a mandate which she said she already had.

Keep up, Ken :D;)

the more I see, the more I am coming round to the view that she's deliberately trying to lose the election so that she doesn't have to face the consequences of Brexit. Let Corbyn trie to do mission impossible, then when it all goes pear shaped she can ride to the rescue in 5 years time. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, domhnall said:

the more I see, the more I am coming round to the view that she's deliberately trying to lose the election so that she doesn't have to face the consequences of Brexit. Let Corbyn trie to do mission impossible, then when it all goes pear shaped she can ride to the rescue in 5 years time. 

She has lots of practice as 6 years as an inept Home Secretary and a year as an inept PM so lots of practice before the calling the election she said about ten times she would not. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

She has lots of practice as 6 years as an inept Home Secretary and a year as an inept PM so lots of practice before the calling the election she said about ten times she would not. 

On the other hand Diane Abbott will be an outstanding Home Secretary and Jeremy Corbyn a brilliant PM.:thinking:....err, no.

2 minutes ago, moley said:

On the other hand Diane Abbott will be an outstanding Home Secretary and Jeremy Corbyn a brilliant PM.:thinking:....err, no.

In the adapted word of The PM " No PM would have been better than a bad PM, same for Cameron as both of them have "steered", I use the term loosely, the UK to being Billy No-Mates.

I am not a Ms Abbott fan and there are plenty of others who might be appointed, Major Dan Jarvis, MP for Barnsley, I would suggest....

http://www.danjarvis.org/about

9 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

In the adapted word of The PM " No PM would have been better than a bad PM, same for Cameron as both of them have "steered", I use the term loosely, the UK to being Billy No-Mates.

I am not a Ms Abbott fan and there are plenty of others who might be appointed, Major Dan Jarvis, MP for Barnsley, I would suggest....

http://www.danjarvis.org/about

Do you mean if Corbyn was elected he would reshuffle the shadow cabinet into the cabinet with all of the left wing of the party? No PM would be better than Corbyn.

1 hour ago, Lee01 said:

Can't be 100% sure, @lol-lol might know, but I think it means if your business deals with Europe, you're gonna have a bad time

http://www.aatcomment.org.uk/what-will-brexit-mean-for-vat/

It is part of what I am discussing with some of the multi-billion pounds companies in the UK and some of the larger SMEs, usually one or two meetings a week on this aspect as well as the other affects of BREXIT.

What whatever the UK does with VAT once BREXIT happens is up for debate, yes we will be free of the minimum level of the 15% that the EU sets and will no longer use the EU's Acquisition rules where UK companies can supply goods to VAT registered entities in the other 27 Member States ie the half billion person strong market but will instead have to go through customs formalities for export to and then import in to the 27 MSs, considerable cost and the time-cost penalty could actually be greater than the tariffs, which tend to range from 2% to as large as 45% Ad Valorem.

Us Logistics companies should do very nicely out of BREXIT.  Consultants doing logistical and customs re-mapping for optimal re-positioning.  Some exporters who are and will continue to benefit from the current weak pound which is currently hedged to go even weaker by the financial industry, as long as the exporters can keep wages low.  For UK consumers, UK import businesses, wholesales, retailers, car businesses facing new customs procedures and tariffs, a very difficult time which many may not survive.  FT does a BREXIT business impact tracker....   https://ig.ft.com/sites/brexit-companies/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

domhnall, funniest thing happening in Edinburgh with her and the wee one introducing her.

Strong & Stable and sturdy little legs.

they were holding it in a removal company warehouse - a sitting prime minister visting a removal company 3 days from an election :-)

I had dinner the other week with the wee one and she was telling my boss that he should not be bringing his kids up in Glasgow because "no one wants a child saddled with a Weegie accent". My boss (who is a huge fan) wasn't overly impressed looking at that one.

• Like 1

Did not seem to hold her back much other than she could only get a job as a List MSP.

Moving to the Capital managed to get her into a seat by having enough votes.

Pity none of these Party Leaders in Scotland are actually standing in this General Election for a seat in Westminster.

You would think they were when you see the Leaflets they are putting out to homes in Scotland.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, domhnall said:

they were holding it in a removal company warehouse - a sitting prime minister visting a removal company 3 days from an election :-)

I had dinner the other week with the wee one and she was telling my boss that he should not be bringing his kids up in Glasgow because "no one wants a child saddled with a Weegie accent". My boss (who is a huge fan) wasn't overly impressed looking at that one.

was it this?

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15329378.Why_was_Theresa_May_hiding_from_the_voters_in_a_dark_warehouse_on_the_edge_of_Edinburgh_/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lee01 said:

You had me hoping that TM was going to move to Scotland if she lost the election our gain is Scotland's loss, can we swap for JK Rowling plus some other equity? 

On 6/6/2017 at 23:06, KenONeill said:

@lol-lol - We wouldn't have Mayfly in a gift!

I have heard the term Maybot (evasive and robotic)

You would get her multi-million pound husband and he is paid about a million and a half so would pay some good tax, maybe.

On 28 January 2016, the EU commission made anti tax avoidance proposals.

The EU referendum was announced on 20 February 2016.

The UK had the EU referendum on 23 June 2016.

The Leave campaign was driven, fuelled and funded by millionaires.

Article 50 was triggered in time for the UK to leave one month before the new anti tax avoidance legislation comes into effect in April 2019.

Convenient.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/company-tax/anti-tax-avoidance-package/anti-tax-avoidance-directive_en

Just now, camelspyyder said:

"Always with the negative waves" Lee.

Oddball wouldn't dig it at all...

Oddball wouldn't vote tory, Oddball would be pro EU, Oddball wouldn't strike a deal with a party that thinks being gay is a bigger sin than the sexual abuse of children (Arlene Foster, google is your friend) ;)

5 hours ago, Lee01 said:

On 28 January 2016, the EU commission made anti tax avoidance proposals.

The EU referendum was announced on 20 February 2016.

The UK had the EU referendum on 23 June 2016.

The Leave campaign was driven, fuelled and funded by millionaires.

Article 50 was triggered in time for the UK to leave one month before the new anti tax avoidance legislation comes into effect in April 2019.

Convenient.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/company-tax/anti-tax-avoidance-package/anti-tax-avoidance-directive_en

Is this the type of tax avoidance you are referring to?

Germany fears huge losses in massive tax scandal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40199259

13 minutes ago, moley said:

Is this the type of tax avoidance you are referring to?

Germany fears huge losses in massive tax scandal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40199259

Germany aren't conveniently leaving the EU.

It's also an international thing not limited to Germany. Going back as far as 1992.

They involved 40 German banks and scores of other financial institutions around the world.

And, as those German reporters reveal, in the end it wasn't a national authority, a finance minister or the justice system who finally exposed the practice.

It was a young administrative assistant in Germany's central tax office, who noticed that she was receiving claims for huge tax rebates from a single US pension fund.

Anna Schablonski (a pseudonym) dug further and, despite threats, began to uncover other cases. She is modest about her role - even though 30 colleagues are now dedicated to trying to recover some of the money, and prosecutors are building their cases against some of those involved.

She does not want to be cast as a hero, she says. She was just doing her job.