Running In

I've always been fairly careful with new cars; half throttle or less, no more than 3000-4000rpm for the first 500 odd miles and try to avoid short or long journeys. I know modern cars are built to much finer tolerances nowadays so there's less chance of engine damage but I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on running in times on a new 2.0 TSi?

Take it easy for the first 1000 km, no high rpm, no high torque output at low rpm and no long journeys where you stay at the same rpm for a long period of time.

Then slowly let the engine get used to som harder driving the next 500 km.

Is this something you must do? No.

Some say its OK to hammer the pedal to the metal from day one. Maybe this is the same people that complaining about oil consumption later on?

I dont see why I should take the risk.

I did this to my 2016 1,8TSI and after 7 months and 10000 km it havent used a single drop of neither oil or water.

• Like 1

I just went easy on it for the first 1,000 miles, during which I didn't red line it, and had an early first oil change.

Skoda told me to just drive it normally and to not worry about it.

Gaz

If you are hiring the car, leasing it or not keeping it any length of time then it probably will not matter to you what it is driven like. Probably not going to die in the first few years even if you drive it like you stole it (same may not be said for your licence though)  :)

For me I tend to keep machines a while so I do think about things when they are new. Sensible driving is the key, not letting it labour in a high gear, nor hitting the redline but up and down the rev range a bit and all will be fine.

Quite a few threads on here if you do a search, but one of the best IMHO is a sticky in the Superb section here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/408713-running-in-tsi-engines/?p=4691781

• Like 2

I just went easy on it for the first 1,000 miles, during which I didn't red line it, and had an early first oil change.

Skoda told me to just drive it normally and to not worry about it.

Gaz

I would take what skoda say with a pinch of salt with any aspect of car owner.

• Like 2

It's not a lease car so I'll definitely be taking it fairly easy over the next few weeks...the first 1000miles will probably come up within a month anyway (not that I'll then suddenly switch to doing full throttle starts off every set of lights!)

I've just hit 1k miles coming back from Oxford yesterday, I am going to try some 5-6k gear changes now to see how things feel. I was not letting it past 3k for the most part prior to that and it was still a damn quick car. (vrs 230, btw)

• Like 1

Do You recommend  going pass 5K then............................ :notme:

Brutal!

My car was already run in for me courtesy of the sales rep as it has nearly 7K on it when I bought it, I bet he didn't do any 'running in'

• Like 1

I would follow the advice in the manual, regardless to what people think of vw thay want the car to last longer than 3 years, and unless some one has some evedence to prove other wise its the safest bet. These car manufacturers spend mega bucks on r and d, so they will have loads of data to back it up.

Its common sence realy, dont screw a new engine.

Edited by Alpha2110

If you exceed 2000rpm during the "running in" period then you're asking for problems.

Why, u shouldn't run in too gently as u won't get heat cycles into engine and get a perfect seal with rings, hence using more oil later life

Why, u shouldn't run in too gently as u won't get heat cycles into engine and get a perfect seal with rings, hence using more oil later life

And changing gear that early is going to labour the engine which is exactly what you are trying to avoid when running in,

If you exceed 2000rpm during the "running in" period then you're asking for problems.

Advice to live by when you get new rings and rebore on the Morris 1000.

Don't forget the 'running in' sticker in the back window.

• Like 1

Can you link to some proof or evidence of this?  (on production cars not supercars)

Nope just presumed they would be.

I've owned 4 cars from new, 2 vRS and 2 BMW's. I've just driven then normally from the show room, none of this stick below 2000rpm rubbish and they've all been fine :) 

Nope just presumed they would be.

If they were then manufacturers would not put running-in instructions in the manual

none of this stick below 2000rpm rubbish

Agreed, it is rubbish, we all know it (including, I suspect, the person that posted it :notme: )

Just drive normally.

I think we are on the same page but the problem is some people's normal!

I doubt most people's normal is red-line from cold (a certain 1.4 driver excepted  :devil:) but a lot of people put the car in too high a gear and let it labour when cold and that will cause the same, if not more issues later on.