£7500 (ish) to spend on my first car...

Originally looked at a Citigo Monte Carlo, then a Fabia Monte Carlo and now I seem drawn to the Fabia VRS, and I haven't even passed my test yet...it's my first car so I'm not really sure how much mileage I'm going to do, I use my scooter for my 2.5 mile trip to work, and funnily enough the same back again, but then with a car I'll be taking my son to football on Sundays so that's 20-50 miles, then wherever else it might take me. I've looked at insurance and it ranges between £550-£1000 depending on the year, model and spec. So do I go balls out with a VRS or ease my way in with a Reaction or 1.2 Monte?

Thanks...

Nout wrong with a bit of power. Power is as safe as it is dangerous, as long as its used in the right places. 

180bhp in a hatch isnt exactly going to set the world on fire. 

But yes stick with the Monte. Purely because the 1.2TSI is a more reliable and alot less stressed engine. The 1.4 twincharger found in the VRS isnt the kind of engine you'd want to keep long term without a warranty. It's too stressed, oil pressures are too high and so can oil consumption. imo,  its not worth the risk of keeping one. 

Nout wrong with a bit of power. Power is as safe as it is dangerous, as long as its used in the right places.

180bhp in a hatch isnt exactly going to set the world on fire.

.... so a new inexperienced driver will know all these right places you speak of?

Maybe a little hasty on a roundabout and that's it crashed.

180bhp isn't going to no, but it's enough to lose traction and more so in bad weather

• Like 1

.... so a new inexperienced driver will know all these right places you speak of?

Maybe a little hasty on a roundabout and that's it crashed.

180bhp isn't going to no, but it's enough to lose traction and more so in bad weather

It is what you make it. I come from a motorcycling background so you learn wheres right and where isnt, you take your chances and you get bitten if you get it wrong, no matter what you ride. 

180hp in a hatch? You poke it abit much and it understeers on a roundabout, big so what? If theres space its no big deal at all and its really no rocketship.  A 1.2 on a crap tyres will cause you the same problem if you get ham fisted enough. 

It's not exactly a Z4M or M3

You live and learn. Start slow and build it up... start fast and you soon make an insurance claim.

Its all in the mentality.. not the motor so much. 

I got my VRS when I was 18, It was my second car though. Had a c2 for the first 8 months after passing my test, I Still never forget opening it up for the first time on the m4 and jesus Christ it was a shock but I have no regrets. That being said I very rarely actually cane it around the place.

as said above though the costs which COULD come with the VRS are eye watering. I've had quite a few issues with mine but I've managed two western European road trips in it totalling nearly 5,000 miles each. good luck with whichever option you go for.

• Like 1

I got my VRS when I was 18, It was my second car though. Had a c2 for the first 8 months after passing my test, I Still never forget opening it up for the first time on the m4 and jesus Christ it was a shock but I have no regrets. That being said I very rarely actually cane it around the place.

as said above though the costs which COULD come with the VRS are eye watering. I've had quite a few issues with mine but I've managed two western European road trips in it totalling nearly 5,000 miles each. good luck with whichever option you go for.

I'm exactly the same! Had a Citroen C2 for my first car for a year and a half or so, and then about a month or so before I turned 19 I got my green Fabia vRS :)

And to the OP - I'd say get a Monte Carlo!

there is a nice vRS for sale in the for sale section well modded by a current member, a good car with history, that would give you pleanty of money left over from your budget for things like insurance and fuel and more mods ect.. iirc he has it for sale for about £5300.

• Like 2

I'm selling my vRS :)

£7,000 ono. Just had a new engine fitted with a 2 year guarantee, only c.50 miles on the new one - 35k on the clock.

Haven't got round to setting up the for sale ad yet, going to shine it up and get some good photos this weekend, but if you're interested in getting first dibs PM me.

Tmmok4x.jpg

• Like 1