Fuel Consumption on new VRS

Hi Guys

I've picked up my new VRS230 today an i leave love it and was enjoying it driving it. but i'm worried about the Fuel Consumpion. Even in eco mode and driving between 70-80 on the motorway the fuel tank guage needle was just moving. left Fareham dealership on quarter tank to Outskirt of Fareham i was on the tip of the red part. Filled full tank at Liphook and drove. took quarter tank to London. after a little addtional driving i'm almost on 1/2 tank

Is it normal for a brand new car to be heavy on fuel like this. I know its a VRS but still it can't be that bad

Thanks

Salim

As a rule of thumb I once worked out you get 17% less mpg than what Skoda claims you shoul get. I average 27 - 28 mpg around town, best I ever achieved was 42mpg on a long run to inverness with average speed cameras all the way, this was for a normal petrol 220 vrs.

You should have had that 'Dealer' put that in writing and sign their name next to it.

'Derren Brown's' signature might be worth money in the future.

The only claim Skoda makes is this statement.

& that is about comparisons, but this is inside a temperature controlled building & on a rolling road and 

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

You should have had that 'Dealer' put that in writing and sign there name next to it.

'Derren Brown's' signature might be worth money in the future.

I have it in an email! but that's besides the point as the claimed mpg and actual mpg are not even close, I would say 50% out at this point.

In Sport, Mine seems to be stuck in Sport Mode  :think:   on motorway speeds and above I can see 33/35 and it's getting better with more miles on the clock, at the moment she has just done over 1k miles.

She only drinks V power, but I didn't buy her for miles per gallon I bought her because she is a sleeper......... ;)

• Like 2

Why is the vrs quite a thirsty car?. In the past i was always told a bigger engine was usualy more economical as it had to work less. About 10 years ago i had a 2.0 petrol vectra sri and £30 of fuel was only getting me 180 miles, i thought that was really bad. My last car was a mk3 fabia Tdi dsg and £40 would get me 535 miles, im hoping my new octavia 1.6 Tdi dsg gets me similar figures.

......Mine seems to be stuck in Sport Mode   :think:   

Oh Andy, that must be terrible for you.  And on such a young car too.  I can feel myself welling up!  :'(

Why is the vrs quite a thirsty car?

Something to do with the turbo and our right feet I suspect :yes:

On a serious note, I do find it quite bemusing that people are surprised that a two litre, turbocharged petrol, that's billed as an RS version isn't a beacon of fuel economy  :peek:

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

I've got just over 1000 miles clocked and MPG in Eco on a 50 mile non stop A road an motorway run is around 31/32. In 'normal' mode it's not much different for me. Very much hoping it will improve soon though as I would like to see the MPG at nearly book figures. My previous car, a 9 year old 3 litre diesel BMW almost matched it's book figures which were still considerably higher than you'd expect.

I've did the same 50 mile trip the other day and the needle moved from full to the next line down. On the way home the needle moved way past 3/4 tank. Same traffic conditions, same speed and similar road conditions (hills, corners).

It should but then only you know how you drive and where and when..

MPG improving just from the newness off the tyres, the tyre pressures set, the car 'driven / run in', newness off the brakes, so no slight touching, bearings breaking in, 

Super Unleaded in the tank and not the 95 ron as put in at the Dealership, and then getting used to the car and just driving.

Then the oil changed from that put in at the factory which is about engine protection and not necessarily protection and economy.

But if trips are under 20 miles or so then maybe no improvement, or familiarity has you driving not like during a driving test.

Hi Guys

So what your trying to say is as time goes on and i clock the miles the MPG will improve???

Who knows? Other than saying you are unhappy, you have not said what you are getting at the moment.

Start a log or use an app like Fuelly to record actual consumption.

• Like 1

My mpg seems to have improved over the last month, which surprised me but with so many factors its hard to know why.  Anyway,  Mines done about 16k miles now and I got over 45mpg on a run from Chester to south london last month.  Maxidot was showing about 48mpg until I came off the motorway and crawled 12 odd miles right through the centre of london.  Not bad for a tsi, drive it within the speed limits and smoothly and its fairly frugal.  On the same journey where the M1 and M6 have been empty, late at night, and I've cruised at about 80, I've achieved about 38mpg, which still seems pretty fair, although not spectacular. 

So today we did a bit of town driving to various shops - lost of stop and starts only getting 16.7MPG it has standard Shell Unleaded in the tank,

As for the car/engine being driven / run in I asked the dealship twice regarding this and both times they said the Engine is broken in before installed into car.

Regarding the oil change - can anyone else confirm this, that I have to have an oil change??

Edited by SalimShady04

You dont have to have an oil change, you are on fixed or variable servicing, but some might notice new oil at 8,000 miles or so and a change / improvement with new oil.

No need to though.

As to the engine Running in,  Dealerships do not for 3,000 miles or so with demonstrators, Hire cars dont, those leasing might not, 

people buying keepers might do.

?

How is the engine broken in?

It is built to tolerances, it is not bench run, or even running for 500 or 3,000 km. 

Best read the Owners Manual.

PS

If you brimmed it and the Dash showed only 16.7 mpg but you drove 16.7 miles and try to put in 4.456 litres you will not get it in.

Stop / start driving if you have Stop / start on will save you fuel.

Best brim the tank then see how many litres are required to brim again after the tank is getting near empty.

The car is still being Driven In, as Skoda describe the Running in process.

Edited by Offski

On a serious note, I do find it quite bemusing that people are surprised that a two litre, turbocharged petrol, that's billed as an RS version isn't a beacon of fuel economy  :peek:

Gaz

There's someone posting here that he got 50mpg out of his and that one was remapped to 300bhp.

I'd have given my eye teeth for 50mpg out of my VRS **diesel**.

Discussions like these are so objective, how do we know how each other drives?

Some people drive like miss daisy, others flat out and everything in between.

Bottom line is, its way too early to judge the economy, get some miles on it first.

Brim the tank and see how many miles you get till empty, then work out figure.