Depreciation.....ouch!

mikey vrs

Bored at work so i thought i would download the 2013 price list for the Volvo ive recently purchased...including the options the previous owner added my car cost £30150 on the road in Dec 2012.....4 years later ive paid £12500.....ouch!  :'( so glad i didnt buy it new....if the dealer gave him £11500 trade in(a rough guess) thats £18650 lost over 4 years..... Gulp... 

Mine was meant to be around £35k new which I'd have never of paid, but 6 months and 5k miles later, I get it for £24k! I don't plan to sell mine for quite a few years so hopefully the depreciation won't be a massive issue. New cars are so easily available now, cars just don't seem to hold their value for long anymore.

• Like 1

I think one of the worst depreciating cars I've seen is the Citroen C6. Not sure if they're made anymore but when they were new they were over £30k, and after 3 years they were said to be worth no more than £10k!

If you look at many VW Group cars the depreciation might be £4,000 a year in 3 years, or more.

Leasing can cost that and more in premium cars.

Even lower retail cost cars are often £2,500 - £3,000 a year depreciation or more.

Buying a keeper for £15,000 with a 5 year warranty, or 7 years that looses £10,000 over 5 years has your £2,000 a year and you had Servicing & Maintenance

can sometimes leave you a car worth £5,000 or more, or you keep the keeper only its 5 years old.

Euro 5 Emission cars can luckily still be run as keepers if you buy correctly and some cars from 2009 or so are not dating looks wise.

Volvo are good at design that does not look dated, even VFM cars, and even long lived and reliable cars, just not some from the Ford era.

• Like 1

I think one of the worst depreciating cars I've seen is the Citroen C6. Not sure if they're made anymore but when they were new they were over £30k, and after 3 years they were said to be worth no more than £10k!

You'd have to be certified to buy a new large French car

.....unless it's a tax write-off and you make embarrassing profits.

• Like 2

Clue for the reason there is in the name isnt it? :D

and they do still make them :no:

First few years are hellish on Jags. XF is a good deal at about 3/4yr old.

Even BMWs have some pretty catastrophic depreciation. But then with 20% of the list price being vat it's always going to nip.

My Seat Toledo was around £4.5k below new price, it was a pre reg with just 10 miles on the clock. Sat in a stock yard I guess and I bought it 4 months after it was registered.

Wind on  2 years, I checked it's current average price they go for, anything between £8500-£10000 depending on mileage spec.

So not a bad deal, I know Seats don't hold their prices very well, I paid £11,500 as said 2 years ago.

You never get what you want for a car though when selling.

• Like 1

I have noticed you can get some nearly new VW Jetta`s GT TDi`s for silly money. Just wondering if I can live without a hatchback......Would be a keeper. Only the better half and me and no plan for a dog etc......

Edited by threadbear

Try my cars.....not much depreciation from new...!!

Myvi £6150 new, now would sell £1850ish

10 years and £4300 loss, 48mpg, original clutch etc, only tyres, brakes and servicing since new

Kelisa £5080 new, now would sell £1350ish

11 years and £3730 loss, 55mpg and still on original everything except £70 cambelt, replacement rear tyres and front brakes

No breakdowns, no leaks, no hassle, no costs other than cheap servicing, typical Perodua (in UK new 1998-2012, part of Toyota group built in Malaysia)

RIP Perodua UK, dammit

Plus both cars are lovely to own and drive...

it's a percentage thing, so the more you spend the more you lose.

Just about every car will lose 50% in the first 3yr. But it means a big difference between a  £10k car and a £100k car.

As long as you know that what is going to happen it's not the end of the world.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, I've just been reading this thread with some interest as I wondered what the depreciation on my car would be.  It's a Fabia 1.2L Petrol DSG 105PS 2011.  It cost a smidgeon under £11k when I bought it as a 6 month old car.  It's got just under £46k miles on the clock.

Anyone any ideas, please?

How long is a piece of string?

You use WBAC and the quote they give means nothing other than your car is probably worth more.

So is the better price one a Private Buyer will pay, 

or a Car Dealer will give you without a trade in, or will give you if buying a car they want shot of, or one they know they will sell easily.

Prices are like that, can you find a buyer, you only need to sell it once, or trade in.

• Like 1

Basically take off money until you start to cry, then a bit more.

And that's about what you'll get offered as a trade in.

Parkers says about £4k trade in.

So I give your car a half-life of about 3.5yr.

Assuming the brochure prices are list then it is unlikely the original owner paid £30,500 for it.

15% discount off list is the average these days so around £26K, up to 30% for the persistent  :D

Basically take off money until you start to cry, then a bit more.

And that's about what you'll get offered as a trade in.

Parkers says about £4k trade in.

So I give your car a half-life of about 3.5yr.

Ha ha!  I like it.  Already done plenty of gulping when working out how much money I spend just on petrol.  Now, where did I put that bus pass....?

• Like 1

All the more reason to buy something like a Brand New Dacia Sandaro, with dealer discount £5550 on the road with a 5 year warranty. ( as my Son did )

In 3 years it must be worth £2K.

Depending on what you want from a car I agree, if it’s ‘just’ transport from A - B then it’s hard to argue against that logic.

However as someone who regularly drives low spec courtesy cars, yes they all do the job they all get to 70 mph and are warm and reliable, I certainly wouldn’t want to OWN one though.

• Like 1