Upgrade?

Hi all,

I'm currently driving a 2011 fabia vrs. Looking to upgrade and become quite fond of the Octavia 3 vrs. Looking for a dsg model but stuck on TSI or TDI, so hoping owners could clear a few things up for me.

Can you still have fun in the diesels? I don't do masses amounts of miles but around 6k a year.

Do they feel quick for a 180bhp in a big car?

I'm hoping to test drive a tsi & tdi next week, just thought I'd ask owners first.

Kind regards.ĺ

Karl.

• Like 1

I just got rid of a 2014 plate Octavia VRS 2.0TDi. Sure you can still have fun, it pulled like a train, but MPG is no where near what they quote. VRS TSi is thirsty but it is quick.

At 6K miles a year, you need to consider the DPF and all the regens that go with it if your only doing short trips. Last but not least, the road noise is bad, I mean really bad.

So I ended up getting the Octavia 1.4TSi SE 7 speed DSG. Quicker from 0-60, same MPG, quiet, refined, IMHO better car and a good deal cheaper.

• Like 1

The TSI VRS is not as thirsty as you would expect... I did a long road trip with the courtesy 1.2TSI and averaged 5.7l to 100km. The VRS TSI can do around 6.0l under similar conditions, so hardly would say it is consuming a lot.

My previous car was a Saab 2.8V6 turbo and I was lucky to see it under 8.0l under any conditions.

A friend of mine has the TDI VRS and we drove his and mine back to back. The TSI clearly has more low end torque and more pull, but the TDI is ok also. Between both, I would choose the TSI, unless you want a 4x4 VRS, which is only available for the TDI engine.

• Like 4

Thanks for your input guys. I don't tend to buy cars based on Mpg. As long as they make new smile & I can have fun that's me sold!

I'll keep my eyes out for a TSI estate. They're quite rare by the looks of it, especially at the 15/17k mark.

• Like 1

For me the sweet spot would be 1.8TSI with 6-DSG and 4x4. This setup can go easily 250-270PS and actually use this power...unlike mine with dry-clutched 7-DSG that limits the torque range (no room for power increase as torque is already at specified max 250Nm and +/- flat all the range) plus FWD I have, which quite often mean some noisy rubber loss instead of acceleration ;)

• Like 1

Echo what the other posters are saying at 6k p/a the pitfalls and additional cost of diesel ownership make petrol the stick on cast iron 110% sensible option.

If your buying though a dealer or similar any decent sales person should steer you to petrol over diesel given your annual mileage.

Of course if you absolutely must have diesel then factor in frequent extended runs to allow for DPF regens.

Edited by jbyrnes82
  • Like 1

220 tsi dsg estate and love it. Very well spec I believe it was ex demo. I thought they was rare in the tsi estate and I still wanted fun and only doing 50miles a week for work there was no way I was going for a diesel

This is my spec

Black pack

Pam roof

19 extreme wheels

Power boot

Leather

Heated seats, screen and washer jets

Big nav

Canton sound system

Variable boot floor

Spare wheel

Keyless entry

Push start button

14 plate with 33k on for 17k

It was the one I wanted and being white I had to have it.

Edited by Ant-Vrs
  • Like 4

So I've had a phone call today from a friend of a friend who works for Skoda and is currently on the look out for a 2.0 TSI DSG estate vRS.

Hopefully it comes up trumps and I can get hold of one shortly. Fingers crossed!

Yours is Mint Ant! I've been looking at other options in different brands but I've enjoyed owning the Fabia vRS so an Octavia Upgrade was the way forward!

• Like 2

For me the sweet spot would be 1.8TSI with 6-DSG and 4x4. This setup can go easily 250-270PS and actually use this power...unlike mine with dry-clutched 7-DSG that limits the torque range (no room for power increase as torque is already at specified max 250Nm and +/- flat all the range) plus FWD I have, which quite often mean some noisy rubber loss instead of acceleration ;)

Torque is only limited to 250Nm in 1st and 2nd gear

And 10 grand more.

But it's worth it...............

With a bit of discount we paid approx. £4.6 more than a loaded vRS 230 wagon, & that's with £8K's worth of options on the Golf.

Inside it's a nicer place to be than the Octy too & just big enough for our needs, but I'm still keeping the Superb around for when we do need a bigger car.

DC

• Like 1

So I've had a phone call today from a friend of a friend who works for Skoda and is currently on the look out for a 2.0 TSI DSG estate vRS.

Hopefully it comes up trumps and I can get hold of one shortly. Fingers crossed!

Yours is Mint Ant! I've been looking at other options in different brands but I've enjoyed owning the Fabia vRS so an Octavia Upgrade was the way forward!

if your ever around my neck of the woods I will take you out in it for a blast
  • Like 1

Hi all,

I'm currently driving a 2011 fabia vrs. Looking to upgrade and become quite fond of the Octavia 3 vrs. Looking for a dsg model but stuck on TSI or TDI, so hoping owners could clear a few things up for me.

Can you still have fun in the diesels? I don't do masses amounts of miles but around 6k a year.

Do they feel quick for a 180bhp in a big car?

I'm hoping to test drive a tsi & tdi next week, just thought I'd ask owners first.

Kind regards.ĺ

Karl.

Definitely a petrol model, purely based on your mileage.  I've always been a petrol person, simply because i prefer the way they drive with the engine revving more freely and also feeling smoother, like yourself I only do about 7-8k per year.

Not sure I agree with the comments about road noise, whilst yes not Rolls Royce quiet I don't think its that bad.  Tho I did come from a Mk5 Golf GTI so my vRS estate is noticeably different in noise levels (quieter).

You'll find you can't quite throw it around as much as your Fabia, I recently chased my brother down round some B roads in his Honda S2000 and whilst yes I was never going to worry him, the big ole' estate did a fine job of keeping him in sight. 

• Like 1

Why does it have to be dsg Karl , Evo ran a dsg vRS long term and they said it was really the photographers car not an evo car , whist in for service they had the petrol as a courtesy car and they said now that's more like it . Gave you thought about leasing ? Neighbour is changing his gtd golf for a golf R as it's cheaper per month !

• Like 1