Martial Arts / Self Defence

Chan110

Anyone doing Martial Arts?

Just wondering what arts is effective on our UK streets these days?

Been looking at:

1. Tae Kwon do

2. Karate

3. Brazilian JuJitSu

4. Krav Maga

5. Filipino Martial Arts

6. Silat

7. MMA?

Any one particular for a not so fit person or children?

Cheers

Depends a lot on the culture at the club IMO. Would be best speaking to other parents already bought in.

In some ways it's not so much the precise discipline but the mind-set behind it. You're likely to be more alert if you have someone swiping at your head once or twice a week than if you're content with a Bottle of beer on the sofa.

J.

3rd Dan Black in Goshin Kenpo Jiu Jitsu over the course of 15yrs before work got in the way..

dabbled in a bit of Aikido and Judo over the yrs too.

Reality is these days MMA is the way, but on a single style (im biased) Jiu Jitsu taught in a good dojo is the broadest spectrum. Pm where youre at and ill have a think if theres anyone ive trained with in the area that i can reccomend, see if i can root out some contact deails.

Also worth remembering - IF you do end up in a situation, the law can very easily slam a book on your fingers if somebody decides "you shouldve been more aware and controlled of what you did to that lad, given you have been trained in how to deal with it"

Brazilian JiuJitsu (and i have trained with a couple of the Gracies) is good for sport combat but it relies an awful lot on ground work and restraint - not really the ideal place to be in a street situation - friends can verily easily and happily put a boot in your head while youre restraining their buddy..

I did Muay Thai for about 4 years 20 years ago. Never did it to fight just to keep fit, couldn't fight my way out of a paper bag, but loved it and the people I trained with.

Anything is better than sitting on the sofa and if you don't like it try another.

I did Tae Kwan Do (TAGB) for 7 years before going to uni, the club was great and we had a decent spread of instructors including the current world champion at the time. It was brilliant and ranged from some family friendly sessions through circuit training to full contact sparring if you wanted it. I tried the uni club when I went there and the atmosphere was very different so I binned it off, as others have said it doesn't really matter which art you do, it's more about the attitude and atmosphere of the club, make sure you have a look around a few places and chat to the members / parents.

I switched to Jeet Kune Do for 3 years in the end (Bruce Lee's Kung Fu without form), it was bloody brilliant but not very family friendly as it was all full contact. I haven't trained for over 10 years now though but I'm getting the itch to re start something

Edited by RampantBadger

My boy started Taekwondo a couple of weeks ago.

He only 6 but so far seems to be enjoying it.

I wanted him to do a martial art for the fitness and discipline side of it as well as him being able to handle himself if needed.

A social thing too.

If it's for sport then any martial art is good, if its for self defence then Krav Maga is the only way to go, it is specifically designed and taught as self defence, no pyjamas in sight :) It is brutal and you will be coming home after training battered and bruised but it will give you a solid base of skills....the first being the most important....if you can run away then do so DO NOT stand and fight if you have a clear option for escape.

Have been doing it since I was in the Royal Marines and it is taught to virtually all top forces and intelligence organisations around the world.

K:)

There are reasons that some Martial Art Training is more suited to those that might have disabilities and concern over health matters but want to be able to defend them selves because running is not always an option.

Those that are unfit but are prepared to try to improve fitness and mobility. There are martial arts that suit those in wheel chairs or who have prosthetic limbs and Instructors that are trained in teaching students with particular conditions or needs.

Warm Ups and learning Break Falls etc to reduce the risk of injury to those that are looking for a Martial Art that offers them the kind of defence skills they feel they would like.

Cool guys :)

I did look at Krav Maga - but none near us

Nearest one we could fit into our schedule

I believe the British Krav Maga is the one to go for?

Thought about TAGB, but somehow prefer WTF

But then not sure if I can handle the kicks in TKD

Hmmm...not looked into Muay Thai yet

Trained in Jujitsu for five or so years. Very enjoyable and very interesting practice to learn.

Focuses on self preservation, incapacitating the opponent, so can seem quite brutal and over the top in a dojo. But if you pretend the person your throwing to the floor and then finishing with a stamp to their jaw has just attacked you with a knife, it changes things.

There are some 'sacrifice throws' in Jujitsu (where you end up on the floor too) but the majority of locks, techniques, counters and throws are all about controlling the opponent, whilst staying in a defendable and strong position yourself, should there be more than one assailant.

There isn't any competitions in Jujitsu as it isn't a points scoring kind of hobby. Installs a lot of discipline and control too, as certain locks have to be undertaken very smoothly and in total control to prevent injuries.

There is a big focus on using the opponents' centre of gravity, balance, momentum and body mechanics (if someone twists your wrist/finger/neck, your body will naturally move a certain way to release the pain, that's where you gain the advantage). You don't need to be athletic fit or in top shape, you don't need to be flexible or able to kick above your head. So it appeals to all age groups and all body types.

As others have mentioned, anything is better than nothing, judo, Jiu Jitsu/ Brazilian Jujistu, Wing Chun and Jujistu are all very close quarters fighting, really up tight with little distance in between. Some people prefer that as they feel more in control, some people prefer to be stood back slightly, in which case your Karate, Taekwando, Kick boxing, boxing and Muay Thai boxing would be a better selection.

I have recently started Muay Thai as I couldn't kick for toffee ('kicks' are something that aren't really focused on in Jujitsu, better to get in close, gouge the eyes and then lock onto the windpipe ;) ), and I must say I am enjoying it, despite it being a completely different ball game. The clinching is where I feel most at home, up close and personal.

Get yourself to a few different classes, try them out and see which one you prefer. The standard of teaching matters the most in my opinion. No point learning anything to a poor standard.

JRJG

• Like 1

Trained in Jujitsu for five or so years. Very enjoyable and very interesting practice to learn.

Focuses on self preservation, incapacitating the opponent, so can seem quite brutal and over the top in a dojo. But if you pretend the person your throwing to the floor and then finishing with a stamp to their jaw has just attacked you with a knife, it changes things.

There are some 'sacrifice throws' in Jujitsu (where you end up on the floor too) but the majority of locks, techniques, counters and throws are all about controlling the opponent, whilst staying in a defendable and strong position yourself, should there be more than one assailant.

There isn't any competitions in Jujitsu as it isn't a points scoring kind of hobby. Installs a lot of discipline and control too, as certain locks have to be undertaken very smoothly and in total control to prevent injuries.

There is a big focus on using the opponents' centre of gravity, balance, momentum and body mechanics (if someone twists your wrist/finger/neck, your body will naturally move a certain way to release the pain, that's where you gain the advantage). You don't need to be athletic fit or in top shape, you don't need to be flexible or able to kick above your head. So it appeals to all age groups and all body types.

As others have mentioned, anything is better than nothing, judo, Jiu Jitsu/ Brazilian Jujistu, Wing Chun and Jujistu are all very close quarters fighting, really up tight with little distance in between. Some people prefer that as they feel more in control, some people prefer to be stood back slightly, in which case your Karate, Taekwando, Kick boxing, boxing and Muay Thai boxing would be a better selection.

I have recently started Muay Thai as I couldn't kick for toffee ('kicks' are something that aren't really focused on in Jujitsu, better to get in close, gouge the eyes and then lock onto the windpipe ;) ), and I must say I am enjoying it, despite it being a completely different ball game. The clinching is where I feel most at home, up close and personal.

Get yourself to a few different classes, try them out and see which one you prefer. The standard of teaching matters the most in my opinion. No point learning anything to a poor standard.

JRJG

^^Good advice

Chan, If your looking at Krav Maga then you want someone who has been taught in Israel or been taught in the military, with KM being so newly available to the public there are few Walts out there claiming all kinds of certification. The good thing with KM is that it uses elements of all martial arts so you get a base in a few of them, but as said above it is not pretty and people turn up to training in work clothes, suit, tie and shoes the whole lot as your not going to get mugged in the gym wearing your sweats!!

As JRJG said try a few and see what you like and what you are comfortable with.

K:)

• Like 1

JRJG is spot on with the suggestion to go to a number of clubs and see what suits you best - not every style works for everybody!

If you want a family based martial art, then i would suggest a traditional based style such as Tae Kwon-Do, Kickboxing or Karate in a Dojo where you can practice alongside your kids. Nowadays the self-defence side of these martial arts are an extension to thier normal training and usually "borrowed" from other styles.

If you want an 'all round' set of skills then i would suggest MMA as it usually combines the best of other more traditional martial arts, it would give you a base in a stand up/striking style (ie: Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Tae Kwon-Do, Karate) mixed with boxing, it would also give you basic ground based, wrestling or submission styles (ie: Judo, BJJ, Akido).

I've training in ITF style Tae Kwon-Do (same as TAGB) for +20 years, but ive also done Judo, Wing Chun, Kickboxing and Boxing. I spent +14 years competiting at various levels and ive seen world champions in one style get beaten by "OK" competitors using another, they panic being out of their comfort zone - being calm and able to adapt to your situation is key. Knowing what to use and when.

As someone said you dont want to be rolling around on the floor while others are kicking you on the face, but most fights usually end up on the floor so having enough to be in a better position than the other guy gives you an advantage!

I trained Wado Ryu karate for years, its a good self defence platform as its more fight orientated than Shotokan. Im a bit to old for that stuff now so im doing Chi gong and Tai Chi .

Ahh Tai Chi, one of the most under appreciated, covert, killing arts ever... see my graceful, fluid, slow motion movement.. which if i was holding you and moving fast would have your shoulder dislocated and throat removed, but im about peace :notme:

Ahh Tai Chi, one of the most under appreciated, covert, killing arts ever... see my graceful, fluid, slow motion movement.. which if i was holding you and moving fast would have your shoulder dislocated and throat removed, but im about peace :notme:

I did Tai Chi a long long time ago (as exercise. Not self defence)

It was fun and different

But this time I want self defence

Interesting to know if anyone teaches Tai Chi for self defence in West Yorkshire???