Fuel tank only takes 40 litres

I've read there was a button so you could vent the early Fabia, but I have not seen it on any other car I have filled up, or more specifically the Mk2 and mk3 Octavia, which are the only VAG machines I've owned. Is a vent option common on other VAG products?

There was nothing on the wide variety of others I've owned. All you could do to squeeze in another 2 or 4 litres was to dribble it in after the 2nd click if you had the need.

Iirc my Passat diesel 2001 had a button in the filler neck you could press with the nozzle. I just twisted the nozzle through 90 degrees in my last Octavia FL diesel if I had trouble filling up fully. I've yet to get a fuel warning in my current car.

If your car drives ok with fuel in it then I'd say jus keep puttin fuel in and driving it.....if you really want to test it then drive till it runs out...I guarantee you'll get 50 litres in it no problem at all....might not be able to start the thing like but that's up to you!

I could regularly get 65 litres, and once got 68 litres, into the supposed 63 litre tank of my Audi B7 RS4 even when there was supposedly 20 miles range left - go figure???

There's probably a bit of a MPG difference between a RS4 and a 2.0 TDI. If Skoda didn't build in a decent reserve and owners ran dry whilst ignoring the warning/estimated remaining fuel then I'm sure if enough engines or catalytic converters were damaged due to it, there really would be something to complain about.

I have a 64 reg diesel Octavia and when my fuel tank is showing virtually zero when I fill up I can at most fit 41 litres in it. Does anyone else have this problem as I thought it was a 50 litre tank.

Hi FGW, how far down into the red is it when you can only get around 40 litres into it? It does seem that your fuel gauge might be a little too conservative - I assume that both diesel and petrols have identical fuel tanks fitted - can anyone confirm this?    

Hi FGW, how far down into the red is it when you can only get around 40 litres into it? It does seem that your fuel gauge might be a little too conservative - I assume that both diesel and petrols have identical fuel tanks fitted - can anyone confirm this?

As far as I know, they are the same. Only the 4x4s has a different tank (55l).

I'm getting a bit fed up with every new Briskoda diesel owner raising this as a new topic.

Could the moderators 'sticky' any one of the existing half dozen threads? Please?

Not having a go at the OP as it is questionable that Skoda have to be this conservative with a diesel. but sometimes it worth using the search before posting.

Incidentally for the umpteenth time of posting the true capacity of the Octavia mk3 FWD models is at least 55 litres (diesel or petrol).

Don't click on the 'umpteenth' post then.

Instead Read the umpteenth post about:

Booming

Rattles

Overheating

Transport blocks

Real world mpg

Mk3 facelift

There are many topics repeated om here. Search and you will find.

Apart from emus, lots of feral goats and a few feral camels, there was not a lot to see but really dry landscape through to Broken Hill. Still loved the experience though.

Probably a lot more lush when you went though.

Not a lot to see but beautiful in its own right.

Plenty of feed.  The big dump had just filled Menindee.  As a result the wildlife was well back.

hoping to spend a bit more time out that way as we are developing a 470km water pipeline from the Murray to Broken Hill.

• 2 weeks later...

I let my warning light come on today. The tank took 43 litres. The handbook says the reserve is about 6l. So I'm not going to quibble that 43 + 6 only = 49 instead of 50l.

I let my warning light come on today. The tank took 43 litres. The handbook says the reserve is about 6l. So I'm not going to quibble that 43 + 6 only = 49 instead of 50l.

Ditto.  As soon as the warning light came on I filled up.

Never got more than 43 litres in.

The Skoda fuel warning system is definitely not fit for puprpose IMHO.

I'm content to get a warning when~ 6l of fuel remains.That gives me enough warning to buy fuel without the risk of running out of fuel. I still do not understand what the original complaint is really about.

• Like 2

I'm content to get a warning when~ 6l of fuel remains.That gives me enough warning to buy fuel without the risk of running out of fuel. I still do not understand what the original complaint is really about.

I think that the OP was saying that they had only been able to get around 40 litres into the tank - even though they had run the tank down to almost the BOTTOM of the reserve (red sector).  

How was the fuelgauge before filling up?

I put in 45l yesterday, and the needle was about halfway between 1/4 and the red area.

Just doublechecked the receipt: 53.53 ltrs

The fuel gauge was at the very bottom, I had done about 20 miles with zero miles to empty showing :D

Went to fill up last night but the filling station had closed early :doh:

It warned you that you needed fuel, albeit a little bit early but it did its job as intended. Can you imagine how much moaning would go on if people were running out of fuel and not being warned?

We all managed perfectly well 20 years ago :D

Point taken though, these days the ambulance chasers would be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of recompense for their snowflake clients......."m'lud, my client has been permanently traumatised by this utter negligence......."

I've not seen the original poster stating this but...... When you are filling it up are you fully brimming it? By this I mean do you just fill it till the pump clicks then stop or do you then keep going till you actually have a "full" tank and can see the settled fuel (not froth) in the fuel tank neck?

I only ask as if you are only filling till the initial pump cut off then yes you will only get around 40 litres or so in..... As others have said air and froth will make up the rest so to fully fill the tank you will then have to keep going slowly afterwards to get another few litres in.

This has been the same with all the cars I've owned. Currently in the Superb I get an extra four or five litres in doing this and I get another two or three litres in on the CitiGo etc.....

• Like 1