eOctavia?

Hi guys I love my Octavia and today I had amazing opportunity to drive eGolf.

It was amazing and cool experience. Wishing there is eOctavia. Any way until we get one from Škoda hers my

of my first EV.
is so cool and weird they had to add a sound to let you know that the engine is on!  :D

The e-Golf? It's pure electric. But there's also the Golf GTE, which is a plug in hybrid. That basic powertrain is also in the Passat GTE, and will (apparently) be coming to the Superb at some point, I'm guessing with its mid-cycle facelift?

eGolf is pure electric. It's so fun! First it's weird, no sound when you turn on the electric engine, no shaking no nothing. And the silent drive oh boy! You only hear the tires and maybe some wind, and the breaks, barely.

And the fun part it accelerate's so fast! I can only imagine Rimac Concept One or S the fastest EV made in Croatia it's damn fast! I have some connections in that company so in time who knows maybe I will get a test drive.

But the experience is amazing!

Wish more people can afford EV, now I need to find someone to let me test drive Tesla model S, haha.

Edited by Croat

Would like a Octavia VRS-E. 230 hp petrol and electric motor on thw rear with 70-80 kw.

Then it could have been fun. And would have awd.

But if battery technology becomes better I think it will probably be mostly electric cars here in Norway. The enviromental fanatics rule most of the politic parties here. So no taxes for electric cars, and loads of taxes for fun normal cars.

So far Tesla seems to be the best electric car. But still expensive without taxes here.

Bit offtopic.

@croat, I hope you get the chance. If I were closer to you, I'd take you out in my Tesla. It realls is something else :) But the prices keep going up, at least for Tesla in the UK. They're pricing themselves out of the market. My car would now cost around £25k more than when I bought it 5 months ago...

Still, the future is electric as far as I can tell and want!

@aka tfboy, there are few Tesla owners in Croatia, model S (old one) before the redesign. And there's one model X.

Well if you decide to come to Croatia for summer give me a call. ;)

Yes the price is a bit of a problem, but it's a premium car the Tesla, so ...

But hoping in the future there will be more regular car brands, with known models which will offer standard models with range and new tech like Tesla.

Edited by Croat

Is the future. .

Get rid of horrible smokey diesel's.

If you live out in the sticks, diesel is king as there aren't charging points on every street corner. Currently costing me £20 a week to do 180 miles a week...brilliant.

I do have an environmental conscience but I cannot help but think that EV battery technology is not quite there yet in terms of costs/weight/capacity.

My Fuelly tells me I have spent around A$2500 on fuel for 31000 km for my mk3 which is hard to beat.

When fuel prices go up I will cycle more.

If you do a lot of urban/city driving then hybrid or PHEVS make a lot of sense.

Also in my state of South Australia electricity costs are some of the highest in the world.

You can get really good electric skate boards that are good for up to 50 km :)

If you live out in the sticks, diesel is king as there aren't charging points on every street corner. Currently costing me £20 a week to do 180 miles a week...brilliant.

If you live out in the sticks, you don't need a charging point on every street corner as you can charge from home ;)

£8 electricity to do 250 miles... Awesome!

I do have an environmental conscience but I cannot help but think that EV battery technology is not quite there yet in terms of costs/weight/capacity.

My Fuelly tells me I have spent around A$2500 on fuel for 31000 km for my mk3 which is hard to beat.

When fuel prices go up I will cycle more.

If you do a lot of urban/city driving then hybrid or PHEVS make a lot of sense.

Also in my state of South Australia electricity costs are some of the highest in the world.

You can get really good electric skate boards that are good for up to 50 km :)

Battery tech and the cost of battery storage has dropped massively over the last few years. It's battery storage tech that enables truly flexible energy management.

As much as I think PHEVs are a massive compromise, they are useful for short distances. However, how much are you prepared to cycle? If you need to do a 100 mile round trip, that's a lot of cycling :) And not something where a PHEV really works...

31,000km. If you average at 200Wh/km (which is rather generous), that's 6,200kWh of energy. At GBP0.06/kWh energy, that equates to around A$420... But if your electricity costs are higher, that's a shame. At least you're not short of sun for generation :)

Robert's latest "2016 summary" video goes on about this quite a bit and worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet

The thing to remember with diesels is there the most enviromently friendly as its the most energy dense fuel. However there has been widely publicised news on diesels being bad for peoples health, this is not as black and white as its made out.

Electric cars are not the fantastic solution, if you take all the efficency losses from power station to motion, i suspect they would be more inefficent. The losses of a typical pmac motor ard 92% and inverter 85%, then battery, then drive train. These all add up, then we look at the conversion efficeny of the power station, then the national grid losses. Also the energy needed to make the thing, and rip half the planet to get rare earth metals, neodymium, lithium. The energy to process all this?

So basically the only good thing about electric cars are it shifts polution from the city some where else. Also a full electric car is so comprimised you need a second car for that perfect middle class lifestyle people always dream of. So it costs you even more money and your not saving the planet.

There is an argument for hybrid cars but these have some of the issues electric, the advantages being smaller electrical drive train so you can still dtive electric, but more slowly, ideal for traffic and when you actualy want to go places you can.

• Like 1

Not that I want to turn this into a slinging match, but the energy required from well to wheel for fossil powered cars versus electric cars is very much in favour of electric.

You might say diesel is energy dense fuel. That doesn't make it more enviromentally friendly. In fact, the amount of energy required just to get fuel to the forecourt is considerable!

Edited by Xavier

Not that I want to turn this into a slinging match, but the energy required from well to wheel for fossil powered cars versus electric cars is very much in favour of electric.You might say diesel is energy dense fuel. That doesn't make it more enviromentally friendly. In fact, the amount of energy required just to get fuel to the forecourt is considerable!

Your assuming the energy to power your electric car comes from renewables, what about fossil fuels coal, gas, even nuclear a clean fuel has losses, what about all the energy needed to process the uranium?

What do you call enviromentaly friendly, co2?, what about small citys allover the world built up around mining? The energy to process uranium is incredible, to the pellets that go into the control rods is substantial. And a nuclear power plant is only around 35% efficient, three times the thermal energy needed per unit of electricity.

Electricaty is used in oil production, but there are loads of other things made from oil as the video suggests, i also dont beleve the fag packet calculations from the video when it was totaly biased towards how fantastic electric cars are, richard lewellan is a electric car fanatic, i saw him at this years lcv event at millbrook.

Oh and the main point how much energy do you think it takes to build an electric car? A darn sight more then a deisel. This may chainge in the future but today the energy that goes in to the manufacturing of batterys is substantial. Not to mention all the rare earth minerals for magnets,

You would need to do incredable amount of miles to justify electric car for it be a more viable solution than diesel, i would say the energy used to build a electric outweighs any gain. I know people who have had electric cars, the batterys start to degrade after 6 months, not to mention there only realy good for 2000 full charges, this varies from battery to battery. And you need a second car so thats more energy needed during manufactre. So if you do 6k per year in the city is a note more enviromentaly friendly solution?.

The ban on diesels in European city's is nothing but a cheep publicity stunt, basicaly this is worce for the enviroment where people are going to buy petrol?, this is what happens when organistions such a green peace manipulate data. Saying diesels take 8 years off peoples life, this is complete rubbish. Its actualy upto 30 days, there is far more science behind this, diet, smoking etc.

Edited by Alpha2110

Your location shows as the North East so if the is North East England there is lots of Onshore & Offshore Renewable Electricity being generated or could be but is paid for even when not being generated as it can not be stored and more is being paid for the Nuclear & Gas generation in your area.

Soon Fracking & Coal Seam Bed extraction will be coming your way.

Odd that the Tariffs for Electricity in your area is some of the highest in the UK as is the tariffs in the North of Scotland where much of the Renewable Electricity in the UK is Generated.

Well it is generated and can not be added / used into the National Grid from Northern Isles, and from Shetland needs turned to Hydrogen to Store & Transport.

Lack of Government Spending on Infrastructure & Interconnectors, removing grants on Hydro & Solar schemes and messing up Carbo Capture Schemes by running competitions for them then not actually backing the building of them.

Diesel & Petrol, LPG etc to run vehicles is quite cheap for now and so are buying vehicles compared to newer EV's, 

The penalties the UK Government will have to pay for failing in Carbon & Pollution reductions are not cheap, 

and the Nuclear Clear up will never be paid for.

Edited by Offski

My point is basicaly if you care about the enviroment there is no ideal solution and electric cars dont negate a familys high energy consumption, the reality is we have to use less. Renewables are fantastic dont get me wrong but there is no where near the capacaty needed or the electrical infrastructure. We then have to condider smart grid solutions to maximise the renewable energy.

The average housing estate could not suport everyone owning an electric car anyway or anywhere close, neather could the national grid, we simply dont have anywhere near the generating capability needed for everyone to plug in the car when they get in from work.

This is why i think the best thing is for cars to have more energy recovery kers, intelegent alternator, teg etc. And most of all people learn how to drive energy efficent driving modes.

The truth is most people dont give a dam about the enviroment and think you can buy the concept of being enviromentaly friendly to sooth the concience, when it realy comes down to it its what can i do without.

Edited by Alpha2110

Are you just not believing about using power 'Off Peak' to store and to turn to other fuel sources?

White Meter Heating, Cooking and Industrial Use is nothing new, but still there is not enough Hydro Storage in the UK for the possibly generated Electricity, 

which is why Norway will need to store what the UK or actually Scotland can generate.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-36597451

Average Housing Estates can not support every property having a parking place and ones for visitors as well.

The truth is many could not give a monkeys on many things as long as 'i'm alright jack'. 

But then nearly all are paying high prices for energy and that is just on the interest to pay for schemes from decades ago.

As to Recuperation of Braking Energy and all that stuff, 

first you need to build vehicles and have them running, so best make them lighter and smaller in the first place.

PS

£5-£6 a day is enough to pay for electricity in average houses in average housing estates in the UK.

£5-£6 only takes a vehicle for like 30-60 miles.

Maybe paying £5 to charge your vehicle while the household is sleeping is a good idea if that gets you 120 miles, 

but then it does not need to be £5 off peak.

Edited by Offski

Its not the off peek i am disbelieving, this has to be renewable off peek, and by off peek we can realy rule out solar, and it has to be windy. Geographicaly we dont have the places to store energy in the same way the swiss do. Thinking electric cars use renewables to charge is wrong, people charge them in the day as they dont have the range to take them home, the power comes from all sources, drax being the biggest coal fired station.

This can be factored in to the oil refinery electricaty consumption as this will use off peek renewable electricaty, if oil refinarys realy do use as much power as coventry i would find it hard to believe we would have any surplus power to store in the first place. This is why i beleve the video previously posted is misleading.

Your assuming the energy to power your electric car comes from renewables, what about fossil fuels coal, gas, even nuclear a clean fuel has losses, what about all the energy needed to process the uranium?

What do you call enviromentaly friendly, co2?, what about small citys allover the world built up around mining? The energy to process uranium is incredible, to the pellets that go into the control rods is substantial. And a nuclear power plant is only around 35% efficient, three times the thermal energy needed per unit of electricity.

Electricaty is used in oil production, but there are loads of other things made from oil as the video suggests, i also dont beleve the fag packet calculations from the video when it was totaly biased towards how fantastic electric cars are, richard lewellan is a electric car fanatic, i saw him at this years lcv event at millbrook.

Oh and the main point how much energy do you think it takes to build an electric car? A darn sight more then a deisel. This may chainge in the future but today the energy that goes in to the manufacturing of batterys is substantial. Not to mention all the rare earth minerals for magnets,

You would need to do incredable amount of miles to justify electric car for it be a more viable solution than diesel, i would say the energy used to build a electric outweighs any gain. I know people who have had electric cars, the batterys start to degrade after 6 months, not to mention there only realy good for 2000 full charges, this varies from battery to battery. And you need a second car so thats more energy needed during manufactre. So if you do 6k per year in the city is a note more enviromentaly friendly solution?.

The ban on diesels in European city's is nothing but a cheep publicity stunt, basicaly this is worce for the enviroment where people are going to buy petrol?, this is what happens when organistions such a green peace manipulate data. Saying diesels take 8 years off peoples life, this is complete rubbish. Its actualy upto 30 days, there is far more science behind this, diet, smoking etc.

Yes, I am assuming the energy is from renewables.

Your video link is for HP Enterprise?

Yes, Richard is an electric car enthusiast, borderline fanatic, and even if his calculations aren't entirely right, it does give an idea of the amount of energy required to refine the fuel (and yes, I acknowledge that the sums also cater for plastics and other derivatives).

The Tesla production line is pretty much driven from renewables. The Gigafactory battery factory is 100% from renewables. I'm not saying the manufacturing cost is nill, but it is powered by renewables as much as possible.

CO2 and NO2 gasses and particulates that come from diesel are worse than from petrol. I'm not saying petrol is fine, it's just not as bad as diesel. You target the worst offenders first as it's the biggest potential improvement possible. The latest Lithium tech gives you more than 2000 charges. Cars have over 200,000km on a single battery pack. They have lost around 6% total capacity after that mileage. If you wanted to compare to ICE, I think they lose more than about 6% in power and economy after equivalent high mileages. Also, it's something that's continuously improving. Fuel only packs so much energy density. ICE have to extract as much of that as motion energy and minimise heat and other losses, but I honestly believe we've reached the limit of what can be done. The battery tech is still evolving and improving over time.

Projecting 10-50 years into the future, there's an awful lot more potential available in electric battery storage and generation than there is in fossil fuels which are only ever being depleted. Taking fracking for example, we're now resorting to "easier" methods of extraction despite the potential dangers... Things will only get worse as time goes by. The lowest hanging fruit is being grabbed first :)

I'm all for smart grid solutions, battery-to-grid ideas, etc.