2017 F1 General Discussion Topic

camelspyyder

Palmer will hopefully never see another F1 drive. Wehrlein I'm unsure about, he's lost his shine a bit and not thrashing Ericsson this year hasn't done him any favours. If Merc still care about Wehrlein maybe him to Williams and Kvyat to Sauber.

Massa, I hope he's gone soon, he's one of those mediocre old guys who should move over. He had his chance, it was heartbreaking, but it's over now.

I think Wehrlein (backed by a cheque from Daimler-Benz) is most likely at WIlliams, but it will be his last chance with Merc support.  

My comments about Palmer and Kvyat being candidates were tongue in cheek. Their F1 careers are both toast whatever some no-mark Russian says.

The Sauber seats will probably go to the 2 Ferrari juniors who just finished P15 and P16 in FP1 at Mexico City, unless Ericsson's moneybags mates decide to keep him on (but really ? - He's in Palmer's league...Kvyat has 2 podiums to his name but neither of those guys will ever get one)

Edited by camelspyyder

Massive crowds for the MotoGP in Sepang this weekend so they do like their motorsport but not dull F1.

MotoGP qualifying was unbelievable with ten riders close to the best times and Marquesz doing a crash save that defies belief?

He actually opens the throttle to re-right the bike, awesome..... 

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

This could be an epic race. Vettel pulled a stunning lap out of the bag for pole but Max looks to be consistently faster. The Mercs (well Hamilton at least) do not seem a million miles away on the long runs. I expect Ricciardo to catch up and become involved in the podium fight as well. Whether Bottas or Kimi are able to be involved we shall have to wait and see. I fully expect some contact between them at some point.

I now standby to be massively disappointed!

Latest "bad loser" quote from Renault  powered teams -  Christian Horner:

Speaking at the Mexican Grand Prix, Horner said that introducing the new engine - which is likely to be a simpler, more standardised version of the current design - cannot come soon enough.

"I'd love to see it come in next year.," he said. "For me, these engines have done nothing but damage Formula 1.

"They've done nothing to contribute to the sport. They've taken away the sound; the passion and they've added too much complexity.

"They've become far removed from road car technology; they're effectively turning into diesel engines in some cases - and I can't see anything that they've contributed that's been positive.

"So, the sooner it goes, the better.

"For me, these engines have done nothing but damage Formula 1" Does he actually mean? - RBR havent won a title since the Formula changed?

Personally I thought a fizzy drink maker coming in and trampling over all the established manufacturers for 5 years did nothing for F1's credibility either, as didn't the previous 5 year domination by Ferrari...

"Far removed from Road car technology"??  Hybrids and electric are the now - How were 20000rpm V10s  and zero-torque V8s road relevant?

"diesel" another bitch about oil-burning for power.

Bad Loser.  If his team doesn't get a decent engine they'll end up going the same way as McLaren or even out of F1 altogether. RedBull are only still in in because Bernie got them contractually tied till about 2020.

Obviously after that rant at Mr Doggy Spice a Red Bull will win today now :) 

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

"They've done nothing to contribute to the sport. They've taken away the sound; the passion and they've added too much complexity.

If all that kept Red Bull's passion in the sport (and any fan's for that matter) was the sound and simplicity level, then perhaps they were competing in (or spectating) the wrong sport.

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

"diesel" another bitch about oil-burning for power.

To me this is more likely whining about the MGU-H, lean burning and (refusing to go away, still!) alleged HCCI. That all pushes more towards large diesel engines than small road car engines. Neglecting the fact that efficiency gains are going to be very valuable as time goes on in any engine type.

At least Red Bull can beat Ferrari at something with consistently, if not the racing, but the bad sportsmanship. (As you say, win incoming for them :D )

Max will have his hands full though - Vettel really needs to win this one, whereas Hamilton didn't need to win in Malaysia and didn't fight Verstappen.

The real curve ball is the mystery blow-ups Renault have suffered at altitude in Mexico City this week.  With 2 of 6 motors already gone pop, how confident are RBR and Renault of seeing the finish?

10 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

He'll be back when Max wins...

Yeah, but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Good to see it has all been quite different since the summer break.

Good for the sport.  Renault has won 11 F1 Championships in the last 25 years.