2017 F1 General Discussion Topic

camelspyyder

What will 2017 bring?

Which car will be best?

Given the rule changes there is a lot riding on the technical teams getting it right.

Which team will interpret the new regulations best?

The bookies favour Mercedes...however, any of the top teams could get the jump on the others with the new regs - so how do these odds sound given the calibre of the teams?

You can currently get odds for the title of 14-1 on Vettel, 33-1 on Alonso and 50-1 on Kimi ! (and he's bettered Vettel over the second half of 2016)

Max on 3-1 or Daniel on 4-1 look better bets than Lewis at 5-4 or Bottas at 5-1 too.

If Ferrari or Honda are quick in testing these numbers are going to change  quickly.

Is Max going to dominate in the new Red Bull?

I can't wait.

• Like 1

Other than a relaxation of the rules on updating powerplants, have those really changed? I'm asking because, aside from Vermilion Male Bovine A, no-one outperformed their powerplant last season.

Edited by KenONeill

I knew all that, but is it actually going to stop the cars being "powerplant dominated". Wider tyres and more aero means more drag.

From 09-14 "more aero" generally meant RBR won everything (even without the best engine).

The Mercedes motor won't help If Adrian Newey manages another aero masterpiece.

From 09-14 "more aero" generally meant RBR won everything (even without the best engine).

The Mercedes motor won't help If Adrian Newey manages another aero masterpiece.

Was the blown diffuser part of that? But still, hoping that Mercedes have stronger challengers this year.

I wonder if some drivers will find it easier to adjust than others.

Was the blown diffuser part of that? But still, hoping that Mercedes have stronger challengers this year.

I wonder if some drivers will find it easier to adjust than others.

That and AFAICS Seb V's driving style was pretty much ideally suited to the blown diffuser.

He certainly adapted to it best. But he had already won in single and double diffuser cars before RBR started using exhaust blowing.

I can imagine the rest of the grid fearing a superior RBR aero package in 2017 driven by Daniel and Max.

With the regs change, it's likely the best car will be further ahead in 17 than Mercedes have been this year.

Silverstone circuit come out with mind games and politics for holding the British GP. Their contractual position means the charge from CVC/Liberty Media to host the GP increase 5% year on year. Silverstone have suggested that this model is not viable going forward casting doubt on the GP.

The company that operates Manor F1 has gone into administration. No redundancies yet but there is limited time to find a buyer before the season starts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 24/01/2017 at 10:15, skomaz said:

At last that odious little man Ecclestone is gone - woo hoo - perhaps F1 will get back to it's glory days now!

They could of done that years ago if they held the board meeting on the top floor and disabled the lifts first.

New day, will take a few years to erase the legacy I imagine.

• Like 1

Lets face it - Ecclestone ALWAYS followed the money - regardless of where it was - that's why the race season has so many new and strange locations on it...   as well as dull courses...

But, you may not remember, without him F1 would still be a backwater of an elitist sport, without the global TV appeal it has now.  

When he first galvanised the teams the sport was in danger of becoming just Ferrari vs Renault, with all the British Cosworth teams chased out by the FIA.

Not to mention the fact that it wasn't even on TV regularly.  The BBC had dumped it around '76 after Surtees took London Rubber Co as a title sponsor and there was no live coverage in the UK at all.

Mr Ecclestone was clearly in it for the money, but without him there wouldn't be any of it, and other no-marks like Eddie Jordan would never have been able to buy a $32 million yacht on the proceeds.

Edited by camelspyyder

It will be interesting to see what the change brings - hopefully (one can dream/ be selfish):

- a change to the policy of charging circuits for hosting a GP or expecting them to simply cover their costs with exorbitant ticket sales (I'd like to go to another race within my lifetime - only got the last time because the ticket was a gift)

- a timetable which doesn't criss-cross the globe mupltiple times, but instead puts the races in the same rough geographical area next to each other on the calendar

- a change to the prize money structure, including not paying ferrari a handful of milllions $$$$ for just being there

I'm a bit concerned about the wish to have "22 superbowls" during "week long events" in that the razzamataz may take focus away from the actual racing. Am also concerned that with the backgrounds/connections to cable and satellite TV providers that we will no longer see a live race for "free" on "normal telly"

According to the Chase Carey interview, the costs and ticketing of GP events won't change, but they want to make them more of an event, longer run up I presume.

He also felt that Europe was the heartland of F1 - whether that spells the end of far flung ridiculous locations is anyones guess!

4 hours ago, Wet Kipper said:

I'm a bit concerned about the wish to have "22 superbowls" during "week long events" in that the razzamataz may take focus away from the actual racing. Am also concerned that with the backgrounds/connections to cable and satellite TV providers that we will no longer see a live race for "free" on "normal telly"

The normal telly thing is already done. Ch4 contract only has 2 years to go so it's SKY only from 2019.