New Vrs or Used Golf R

hi

My 63 plate VRS tdi is coming to the end of the 3 year PCP in April. Was going to either go for new (Current model Should have good deals), (new model Limited deals and deliverly times) but then my mate is selling is 2 year old golf R at a good price. Which one to go for as do 10k miles a year and fuel not a isuse

Edited by Beast

hi

My 63 plate VRS tdi is coming to the end of the 3 year PCP in April. Was going to either go for new (Current model Should have good deals), (new model Limited deals and deliverly times) but then my mate is selling is 2 year old golf R at a good price. Which one to go for as do 10k miles a year and fuel not a isuse

For various (dealer related) reasons we walked away from a vRS Estate in Sept. '15 & after much deliberation / test drive we bought a Golf R Estate in May '16.

Apart from loosing some interior / luggage space, (but I'm intending to keep my Superb for ever......) the Golf is a much better car to drive & live in.

Better as in perceived quality & performance without any obvious cost-cutting features.

At list price it's too expensive but there weresome interesting deals around last year, so we were happy with the price paid.

A loaded 2-year old R could cost as much as £28K from a dealer, if your mate is prepared to sell his car at a sensible price, it's not been ragged to death & you like the drive then

buy it. He should be able to transfer the remainder of the original warranty too.

HTH, DC. 

For various (dealer related) reasons we walked away from a vRS Estate in Sept. '15 & after much deliberation / test drive we bought a Golf R Estate in May '16.

Apart from loosing some interior / luggage space, (but I'm intending to keep my Superb for ever......) the Golf is a much better car to drive & live in.

Better as in perceived quality & performance without any obvious cost-cutting features.

At list price it's too expensive but there weresome interesting deals around last year, so we were happy with the price paid.

A loaded 2-year old R could cost as much as £28K from a dealer, if your mate is prepared to sell his car at a sensible price, it's not been ragged to death & you like the drive then

buy it. He should be able to transfer the remainder of the original warranty too.

HTH, DC. 

Hi i think its the better option as it has alot of extra bits on it only exception is that it does not have 19 inch wheels which is good thing in my option and approx £19k. How did you walk away from the vrs did you VT it Cheers

Hi i think its the better option as it has alot of extra bits on it only exception is that it does not have 19 inch wheels which is good thing in my option and approx £19k. How did you walk away from the vrs did you VT it Cheers

My wife broke down with v. much tearfulness, after realising she didn't want the car during the somewhat hair-raising 1 hour drive to the dealer. (She was driving & getting very upset at  the same time, not such a good idea!)

The sales manager was reasonable, so we drove way in the old car & they refunded the deposit.

No such problem with the Golf, she thinks it's going to be a keeper.....

FWIW, for us it's a fun car, especially in estate guise since "normals" just think it's another Golf + it's so much the "wrong car" for a pair of senior citizens to own.

I'm now considering a '17 MY Cupra ST (300ps AWD DSG £?) as my fun car!

DC 

What colour is it? if its metalic then price is on the money, not so if red, they are ten a penny

Good advice, but I've seen very few red "R"s, black, grey or blue seem to be the common colours in this part of Essex.

DC

• Like 1

My wife broke down with v. much tearfulness, after realising she didn't want the car during the somewhat hair-raising 1 hour drive to the dealer. (She was driving & getting very upset at  the same time, not such a good idea!)

The sales manager was reasonable, so we drove way in the old car & they refunded the deposit.

No such problem with the Golf, she thinks it's going to be a keeper.....

FWIW, for us it's a fun car, especially in estate guise since "normals" just think it's another Golf + it's so much the "wrong car" for a pair of senior citizens to own.

I'm now considering a '17 MY Cupra ST (300ps AWD DSG £?) as my fun car!

DC 

Hi Cupra great car did look that them before Vrs was just worried about 2 wheel drive with 280 bhp cheers

Hi Cupra great car did look that them before Vrs was just worried about 2 wheel drive with 280 bhp cheers

The estate Cupras are nice but horrid wheels , they look like the plastic trims that caravans had , the MK1 cupras wheels were mega especially with the red Brembos that they had back then

Which is why I'm tempted by the AWD ST......

To be fair, we've both driven a FWD 290 & it seemed to cope with the power / torque, but it does have the same LSD as the Golf in the Performance Pack & Clubsport Models.

DC

The estate Cupras are nice but horrid wheels , they look like the plastic trims that caravans had , the MK1 cupras wheels were mega especially with the red Brembos that they had back then

I could live with the std. 19's, & the '17 MY car will probably have a new design,

DC

Why would you have an Octavia over a golf r?

The Octavia is a mundane daily car,the golf at least has some driver appeal

Hi agree VRS good car but does not excite cheers

Do you live like a Millionaire ? What about a Fiat Tipo (lol).

Aren't the R's very much in a different price margin to the Octy though?

I got my Octy vRS used 2014 model, and a R would have been another 7-10K on top for a similar used one (with dealer comeback and warranty applied).

Its also done much of its depreciation of course, over half when I bought it.

So I think on the used front a vRS makes much more sense. If you are buying with hard cash that is.

If you are buying newer or much closer to nearly new then I'm with you that the R may be more practical sense.

However, sorry don't really get the excitement about a Golf though.

I did have a mk1 GTI and all day long that classic orange sticks very closely in my mind and so does the shape and in that regard I can really understand that, allowing a little space and mental depreciation I'd have room for a well fettled one.

But the modern golf is very much along the similar dullness as the Octy to me, they have engineered all the coolness out of it I'm afraid.

Its no better to look at than a focus RS (or my Octy personally speaking) so I find the idea of it exciting anyone from the outside, hard to understand.

I'd rather have something more sporty looking personally if I was paying that kind of monies as a new vRS i.e.used jaguar xkr, audi TTRS, that kind of thing ( if excitement is really your bag)

Edited by vRSAnt

If you want excitement then it's got to be a Megane 275. Not as well built as a VAG car, or as plush, but amazing to drive. A whole other level of involvement. Nothing put a bigger smile on my face during a test drive.

I ended up with the Octavia because it was the safe and sensible choice, as I'm guessing is the same for most people who've bought one.

Was damned close though between a fully loaded 230 DSG at a bargain price, or a Yellow Megane with leather Recaros and an Akrapovic exhaust. For my needs and horrible commute the Skoda won out, but the Megane is so good that I keep thinking about it!

Yep its down to a good all round choice for me ( and I got mine as probably one of the better budget price point, compared to many here on agreements I'm sure), but performance counted heavily.

Regard the engineering the Megane may or may not be amazing, but style wise they seem to be leaning heavy on the fugly days don't they ?

(maybe not so bad as the big bottom days but does nothing for me personally sorry, I certainly wouldn't describe it sporty but then I guess the same could be said of the Octavia....or Golf).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-MEGANE-2-0-16V-TURBO-RENAULTSPORT-NAV-275-3DR-/272382729473?hash=item3f6b469d01:g:7IgAAOSwmLlX4BYK

Sorry it just doesn't look that great to me. I've heard they are amazing cars, but couldn't live with the frumpiness.

IMO the Octy looks better than that I'm afraid even if its not aimed to be as sporty.

That's not saying a lot I know, the VAG group don't tend to push the boat out much in regard to excitement until you start to hit the RS/R8 end. And If I'm being critical on that even the R8's best look is from the back, it has far too much comparison with its rep counterparts from other angles for me.

I'd prefer a smaller sports coupe chassis personally than the Octy something a bit more sport focussed from Skoda, but thats nigh impossible with the tigh control from VW. So the Octy will have to do for now !

I've actually got the money sitting aruond to part with the Octy and go 370Z route or JagXK but just don't suffer the mental illness to do that currently :D

Do you live like a Millionaire ? What about a Fiat Tipo (lol).

Aren't the R's very much in a different price margin to the Octy though?

I got my Octy vRS used 2014 model, and a R would have been another 7-10K on top for a similar used one (with dealer comeback and warranty applied).

Its also done much of its depreciation of course, over half when I bought it.

So I think on the used front a vRS makes much more sense. If you are buying with hard cash that is.

If you are buying newer or much closer to nearly new then I'm with you that the R may be more practical sense.

However, sorry don't really get the excitement about a Golf though.

I did have a mk1 GTI and all day long that classic orange sticks very closely in my mind and so does the shape and in that regard I can really understand that, allowing a little space and mental depreciation I'd have room for a well fettled one.

But the modern golf is very much along the similar dullness as the Octy to me, they have engineered all the coolness out of it I'm afraid.

Its no better to look at than a focus RS (or my Octy personally speaking) so I find the idea of it exciting anyone from the outside, hard to understand.

I'd rather have something more sporty looking personally if I was paying that kind of monies as a new vRS i.e.used jaguar xkr, audi TTRS, that kind of thing ( if excitement is really your bag)

It's not just about the looks or the excitement, a Golf R is a very versatile car.

It  can provide a comfortable travel experience when that's all you want or when the traffic is too dense to play, but excitement is available on demand if the road you are using is empty.

The fit / finish & general build quality is better than the current Octy 3, (as it should be 'cos the Skoda is cheaper to buy) & the depreciation is lower too.

As for dullness, if you refer to the looks, that's always a very age-related opinion, but an R is not a dull car to drive, just not cool enough for you.

DC

hi

Just lease (PCH) a new Golf R.

There are still some cracking deals out there, and at 10k per year you're bound to find a good one.

I can almost guarantee the monthly payments on a new R on PCH will be lower than a used one on PCP.