Retro fit Auto Headlights!

Hello,

I've seen a user install auto headlights into his fabia with parts from a yeti but I cant seem to figure out where he got the parts from. While I was searching I came across this on ebay which is for a MK4 golf but has the same connector as my fabia light switch. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Headlight-Head-Light-Sensor-Switch-for-VW-Bora-Golf-4-Lavida-Passat-B5/121947033090?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40860%26meid%3Dcf10f51666384bc199e1eaae1c0d2cb9%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D332086218209

what do you guys think? for £36 its a good deal... if it works! 

James,

I have a Skoda one with the sensor that is plug and play if you're interested.

I didn't have the OEM sensor in my car but I do now the windscreen has been replaced so I removed the other one.

It's this one

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282011483673.

Lights up green as it should

Edited by tubbytommy
  • Like 1

So, if I were to fit this could I then activate 'coming home' lights like in other auto-headlight vehicles? Carista has the option but obviously I don't have auto-headlights so don't know if it'd be worth getting or not.

So, if I were to fit this could I then activate 'coming home' lights like in other auto-headlight vehicles? Carista has the option but obviously I don't have auto-headlights so don't know if it'd be worth getting or not.

Yes, mine has this now.

It's activated with the module not via VCDS tho, it should come with instructions how to activate it.

Mine was somthing like switch from off > auto > sidelights twice within 5 seconds and you get a beep to confirm it.

Those kits off eBay work really well, I have one on both my cars. Auto lights and CH/LH work well.

You can use any switch provided it has the right plug and fits in the slot, there's loads that are compatible and yes - the Yeti switch is a correct fit for a fabia.

• Like 1

Yes, mine has this now.

It's activated with the module not via VCDS tho, it should come with instructions how to activate it.

Mine was somthing like switch from off > auto > sidelights twice within 5 seconds and you get a beep to confirm it.

Oh awesome :clap:

I can appreciate wanting to modify or upgrade, but i have Auto Lights and have driven cars with them and never have the light switch on Auto, 

i get in the vehicle and turn on the Side Lights & Headlights and then the lights are on and i know they are on.

Pity that other driving around now in near zero visibility in places due to snow and sleet have no idea that they have nothing on in the way of lights, or DRL's to the front, or Sidelights, 

or blown bulbs.

I can appreciate wanting to modify or upgrade, but i have Auto Lights and have driven cars with them and never have the light switch on Auto,

i get in the vehicle and turn on the Side Lights & Headlights and then the lights are on and i know they are on.

Pity that other driving around now in near zero visibility in places due to snow and sleet have no idea that they have nothing on in the way of lights, or DRL's to the front, or Sidelights,

or blown bulbs.

Agreed. Ive found myself just over riding it.

Also with HIDs, cycling on/off isnt good for them. So the 'coning home' function and auto lights arent a good idea if those are fitted

I ordered the kit and looking at getting a Yeti switch as I have heard that fits the best in the fabia. I don't have HID installed so not a problem for that and I got the auto switch because where I live there are quite a few tunnels that I go through and I am lazy to turn the lights on. Plus I am a sucker for a kitted out car!! Sad I know. 

Headlight kit arrived today! Came pretty quick I thought considering I ordered from China. The kit came with a trim removal tool (nice quality too) which is nice, the kit was very easy to install into the fabia and after 10-15 mins of messing around with the settings come / leave home lights are working. Now I need to get a Skoda Yeti light switch to replace the red VW one, but for now it will do... I don't tend to look at the light switch while driving anyway.

Headlight kit arrived today! Came pretty quick I thought considering I ordered from China. The kit came with a trim removal tool (nice quality too) which is nice, the kit was very easy to install into the fabia and after 10-15 mins of messing around with the settings come / leave home lights are working. Now I need to get a Skoda Yeti light switch to replace the red VW one, but for now it will do... I don't tend to look at the light switch while driving anyway.

Good to hear, where did you put the sensor?

Good to hear, where did you put the sensor?

I put the sensor to the bottom right of the dash, it's hardly noticeable as I tucked the cable into the trim panel gaps. The sensor is very small, about the size of the end of a pen.

I will take a picture in the morning to show it exactly!

Edited by JGrindel
  • Like 1

I put the sensor to the bottom right of the dash, it's hardly noticeable as I tucked the cable into the trim panel gaps. The sensor is very small, about the size of the end of a pen.

I will take a picture in the morning to show it exactly!

Thanks, would be good to know how much the yeti switch costs as wondering if it might be cheaper overall to go with the rapid one Richard posted.

Thanks, would be good to know how much the yeti switch costs as wondering if it might be cheaper overall to go with the rapid one Richard posted.

The yeti switch seems to cost more than the actual kit itself! The rapid one locks into place slanted but not sure.