Early morning start

Can anyone tell me is it best to start the car in the morning and let it tick over to warm up before driving or just start and drive.

Just out of curiosity thanks

Graeme

This is what Skoda say in the handbooks:

"Never warm up the engine when the vehicle is standing. Drive off right away. Through this the engine reaches its operating temperature more rapidly and the pollutant emissions are lower."

On really cold days, I think ot pays to let the engine tick over for a minute or two to allow the oil to circulate and lubricate everything properly before moving off.

This helps lower engine wear in the critical first few minutes when you should also avoid high revs and high power (harsh acceleration/high speed).

The Skoda propaganda quoted above is mainly an ECO tree hugging message.

The Skoda propaganda quoted above is mainly an ECO tree hugging message.

Yeah sure. The same as gear change indicator - it's said it's economical driving that way :)

I always do some warm up. In colder mornings it anyway takes some time to defrost mirrors, windows, to clean the snow etc.

• Like 1

I have always driven off as soon as possible after starting, but not by driving sporting. Once the temperature has risen driving can be sportier if desired. This has allowed many vehicles I have owned to exceed 100,000 miles without problems.

• Like 3

I have always driven off as soon as possible after starting, but not by driving sporting. Once the temperature has risen driving can be sportier if desired. This has allowed many vehicles I have owned to exceed 100,000 miles without problems.

+1 for this. Get moving as soon as possible but keep the revs down until oil temperature is up.

Different for diesel I guess, but on my 2.0TSI, I let it sit at idle for the 30s or so it takes for the revs to drop from 1100 to 850 then drive off.  I just stay off boost until the coolant is up to operating temp.

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 1

As above, I normally leave it for 20-30 seconds before moving in any weather. If you're ever in a car with an oil pressure gauge, you'll notice it takes 10-20 seconds to reach optimum pressure, so if you give it 20 seconds to get up to pressure, then 10 to lubricate the bits that can only be reached at that pressure, then you should be safe to drive without damage  :nerd: 

• Like 1

Different for diesel I guess, but on my 2.0TSI, I let it sit at idle for the 30s or so it takes for the revs to drop from 1100 to 850 then drive off. I just stay off boost until the coolant is up to operating temp.

If the coolant is up to temperature that doesnt mean the oil is. Oil takes about 10 to 15 mins to reach optimum temperature. Really cars should be fitted with oil temp and pressure guages.

If the coolant is up to temperature that doesnt mean the oil is. Oil takes about 10 to 15 mins to reach optimum temperature. Really cars should be fitted with oil temp and pressure guages.

Yeah I know, but I mean that I just don't give it any harsh throttle until then and even then, I like to let it warm for a good 10mins before really getting on boost.

I find in the 1.9PD you can tell when the oil is warmed correctly. The economy seems to jump up, maybe not the max value on instant, but you get a lot less drops with gentle throttle. In this weather though that takes up to 25mins depending on the route and roads :peek: .
I agree with Ecomatt though, oil pressure gauges and temp gauges should be a must, cant stand these cars without a coolant temp gauge. Another reason I love the 6 pod dash in the Capri, revs, speed, oil pressure, voltage charge, fuel and coolant temp. Perfect :clap:

I find in the 1.9PD you can tell when the oil is warmed correctly. The economy seems to jump up, maybe not the max value on instant, but you get a lot less drops with gentle throttle. In this weather though that takes up to 25mins depending on the route and roads :peek: .

I agree with Ecomatt though, oil pressure gauges and temp gauges should be a must, cant stand these cars without a coolant temp gauge. Another reason I love the 6 pod dash in the Capri, revs, speed, oil pressure, voltage charge, fuel and coolant temp. Perfect :clap:

Does your car not have the MaxiDot display screen (screen between rev-counter and speedo) ?