Octavia vs rivals?

Hi there people!

I was wondering if you evaluate when buying the Octavia how it perform against the rivals

- Peugeot 308

- Renault Megane sedan

- Toyota Corolla

- Hyundai i30 / Kia Ceed

- Opel Astra

Recent rivals have similar price level and offer many extras.

Just thinking - how they perform, how reliable they are. What is your opinion?

p.s. I've read some german comparison but of course VAG group is usually on top, also read many articles and sites (like carwow, carbuyer,etc) in internet , however I'm not sure if they can be trusted...

Funnily enough, I didn't consider any of those. My comparison was with Passat/Mondeo. Passat didn't justify the extra outlay, Mondeo was a competitive deal and a nice drive but didn't feel as well made (and wasn't as economical as the 1.4 TSi DSG I ended up with).

Each to their own prejudices, but I've always seen Peugeot and Renault as a bit iffy on the build side, Toyota & Hyundai as having all the charisma of a domestic appliance. Vauxhall/Opel just doesn't hold its value.

• Like 4

I looked new Astra and Megane.

in my opinion I didn't made mistake with octavia 2.0 150hp.

Before Octavia I was driving the Astra J.

New Astra is much better car then Astra J. New Astra have much better interior materials but...car is really small and have only cca 130hp.

i have octy Style with sport seat, columbus and canton. In Astra for less money you can take led lights, cooled/heated seats, sign rec, etc etc

Megane...when I ordered Octy sedan didn't exist. I looked standard megane and enterior is ...mah :)

Edited by Ferdinand01
  • Like 1

To quote someone I know, "The French are great for Cognac and stockings, but shouldn't be trusted with anything made from metal". (No Renaults, Citroens or Peugeots on my drive)

Considered Toyota Corolla (a good car, seem well put together).

Tested a Kia (nice warranty but would prefer never to need it, also felt cheap).

• Like 1

im strongly considering a new leon fr, same engine etc as the vrs but perhaps with a face that more than a mother would love

there is the new golf coming as well but no doubt that will be over priced

• Like 1

I drive an astra estate at work and find it to be gutless and unresponsive. There is no space up front and even less for the rear passengers.

I looked at the new mondeo before recently trading in my mk2 Octavia for a mk3. Looks great outside and plenty of space but felt it was a little let down on the build and materials in the cabin.

Have had my mk3 for four months now and still love it everytime I get in. 

Edited by Stavros83
  • Like 3

Im another that wouldnt have considered anything in that list. Where I live there is the option of all marques mentioned but I cant see how they could be a comparison. I jumped from a Seat Leon FR, in case the name didnt give it away, and I could write a whole page as to why. Partly it was the local lazy Seat dealer, but in the main it was the dullness of the leon its lack of reliability. Just not worth the cash I paid for it and it seemingly couldnt be fixed by the local morons. My octavia is a lot more roomier and refined.

Personal considerations other than the skoda were a mercedes CLA, a 3 series, a 130i. 

I wouldnt touch the french, dislike Ford, hate golfs, hate Seats, toyotas are boring... The only marque I would consider out of the alternatives would be the Kia but it would never be a cee'd. Maybe a sportage!

• Like 2

Thanks all :)

Well Skoda buyers are in most cases reasonable people, practical, and I was expecting that they looks at the rivals before choosing :)

@norsko - I got pretty nice answers, I need to convince someone to buy Octavia with arguments, but I lack experince with other brands above

Here in Sweden, the models you mention (apart from maybe Opel) start at a lower price but once you start adding options, the quickly become more expensive that Octavia. Also, the Octavias are very well speced to start with regarding safety equipment and a little bling (chrome, led taillights, alloys) and climate related stuff like seat heating, nozzle heating and so on.

Other than that it comes down to design and quality feel for me. I've tried the Kia and the Peugeot and I really didn't like the sound the doors made when opening and closing. It feels a lot cheaper. The Corolla/Auris is just too ugly, especially on the inside.

Never really been tempted by Renault, although I like their exterior design as of late.

Since me and my wife both drive the car, I really wanted memory seats, so the Seat Leon is out. If you want that on the Opel you have to go for the luxury seats with just costs to much to be in an Opel.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TTodorov said:

- Peugeot 308 - French raccoon?

- Renault Megane sedan - Please no.

- Toyota Corolla - you should be looking at Avensis

- Hyundai i30 / Kia Ceed - you should be looking at the i40, Ceed is a small car too.

- Opel Astra - old, but classic: "If you take the Opel to the woods at night, shut it off and listen, then you can hear the rust eating away the car"

All those cars could potentially be compared to Fabia, so in the end, if you bring in Octavia compared to those cars, then Octava will win hands down.

If you want to compare Octavia to anything, you should be looking at:

* Avensis. You really should compare Avensis in this class. As far as people say: Toyotas are pretty bulletproof cars. They tend to be more reliable "over all".

* Mazda 6. This car feels small compared to Octavia.

* Passat. Same size, higher price. Yes you will get less plastic, but is that plastic worth another 8k? You could get a Superb in that price range.

* Accord. They stopped producing Accords, so now it is replaced with Civic Tourer. Even if it is spacious enough, the engine feels really weak. Once you go with turboes, there is no turning back - you will fall in love with that low RPM torque.

You could compare 3 series BMW, but that one feels small inside compared to Octavia. Same goes with Audi A4. In this case I would like to compare Octavia with 5 series and A6, but if you go there, then why should you pick those if you could get Superb?

Octavia is very practical car on every corner. Very spacious - if you start packing then you can't really compare sedan type cars like 3 series or A4 or any sedan type of car. Those cars need to be Estate type of cars compared to Octavia HB. +HB looks better, since it has a looks of a sedan...

If you do not belive me, then try to take different cars side by side, pop the trunk, back doors and look if you could fit semi large things in there or not.

• Like 2

Horses for courses.

Octavia = budget brand image, reasonable price, decent boot space.

The Octavia is no better or worse than the majority of the non-premium competition. Dynamically the ford's and Mazdas are ahead of the game. 

Build quality is good people say...dont buy that one. Plenty gripes on here of poor build quality and this is just a select sample.

As stated, no worse than most others but certainly not better.

Interesting how some owners considered premium brands prior to octavia purchase. Was that due to skoda reputation and build quality? Or was it due to affordability of the premium brands?

• Like 1

Regarding JBynes comment on the Seats I've always thought its far better looking from the back at least until 2010 ish with its front old jag S type style mouthy grill (univerally accepted as the ugliest Jag ever ) up until the last facelift around the O3......

Then its which is no better styling than the O3....in some degree it seems more characterless and thats not a good thing in long term ownership.

The latest shape of it doesn't exite me either but thats just modern cars, they are all so meh dull styling.

Plus - You could almost interchange the Seat with the Peugeot 308 GTI and it would be hard to tell which car its meant to be. Plus the french thing, uh. Cognac and stockings indeed. Plus maybe erotica ?

When I was looking at new besides the Cupra I discounted as not good enough VFM I considered VX Astra VXR which is okay,

but not fond of the brand though and used prices high compared to the Octy (I've experienced them on a vxr day and someones monaro I know and aren't bad)

The rest are dull with a capital d and wouldn't even get a look in, I think I'd genuinely rather bang my head against a brick wall.

• Like 2

I looked at the Ford Mondeo, Hyundai i40, Vauxhall Insignia and the Skoda Octavia! 

After 12 months comparing them there was only 1 winner..Octavia vRS!

Mondeo - too pricey, i40 - after driving the i30 felt cheap and I'd heard too many mixed reviews about the Insignia! 

• Like 2

But it's not all about the vRs. There are other trims in the range. 

If the vrs is compared then maybe compare against the likes of the vxr class insignia (vauxhalls sports saloon - 4wd over 300bhp). Maybe a bit for more fair as both are 'sporty saloons'

My octavia is no better or worse than my neighbours new i40. Though the octavia is not as wide. When i opted for the octavia I considered ford Mondeos, Mazda6, Honda accords. All similar prices for similar equipment. I did not consider a merc, BMW, lexus, Jag etc. These are at differing ends of the car sector and if one is considering a premium brand I struggle to see how one would settle for a skoda.

• Like 1

The only other car in the running when I looked at another Octavia was the Mazda 6 Estate 175. It is an excellent car, looks good, handles and rides better than the Octavia IMO, and comes with lots of spec and low emissions, but in the end I decided I wanted 4x4 for the safety of wife and kids because of the area we live in and the type of roads travelled daily. The CX5 has a small boot compared to the Octavia, and I didn't really want an SUV.

For the money, there isn't another car out there with 4x4 and the same spec. The Superb, Audi A3/A4, 3 series, Subaru etc are all either lots dearer for similar spec or don't have the same performance. Golf R is smaller and costlier to run, the new Leon Cupra will be available with 4x4, but again smaller than the Octavia and incurs petrol running costs. (I do 20k+ miles a year)

Edited by pist0nbr0ke
Grammar lol
  • Like 2

On 26/01/2017 at 18:55, susi said:

To quote someone I know, "The French are great for Cognac and stockings, but shouldn't be trusted with anything made from metal". (No Renaults, Citroens or Peugeots on my drive)

Some years ago I was having a (non Skoda) car sorted by the AA, and in conversation with the mechanic he said "don't touch a French car" (i.e. he was forever having to fix them.)

But to be fair that was a few years back!!

• Like 1