Black & White skoda emblem

On 30/01/2017 at 13:21, dhvrs said:

They are not on superskoda. From what I can gather they are mostly home made. I think the badge comes apart and is sprayed. I have ordered 2 to try. 

Please let us know how you get on. Be very interested to give it a go, black on meteor grey background. 

2 hours ago, Qaborg said:

Try looking for Monte Carlo parts as they are painted black for example Cat. number: O3-ZNK-BLK Superb III - original Skoda emblem in BLACK Monte Carlo edition - FRONT

Yep, seen them and they're nice, but v expensive. If I can mod the standard badges to black against a body coloured background as per the OP I'd rather do that.

On 30/01/2017 at 13:21, dhvrs said:

They are not on superskoda. From what I can gather they are mostly home made. I think the badge comes apart and is sprayed. I have ordered 2 to try. 

Your right it does appear that they are in two parts, as seen on this video, when it comes apart as he's trying to take the badge off!

• 2 weeks later...

I've only done the front so far. This is what I did:

2 x Skoda badges from eBay, split them carefully  (remove the double sided backing, then the clips have to be broken to separate the parts.)

Cleaned all parts with panel wipe, painted chrome parts with black Plastidip. Sprayed the 'backing plate', using some plastic primer I happened to have. (Nearly colour matched the car :D)

Then sprayed the backing plate with a colour matched aerosol (Skoda steel grey F7A)

Glued the parts back together carefully. Sprayed the whole thing with several coats of clear lacquer supplied with the paint.

Lots of light coats is the way to go with all of the spraying.

Thick double sided tape applied to rear of badge and trimmed to fit around the edges, trying not to damage the Plastidip in the process.

Removed the old badges with a hair dryer, credit card and fishing line, and cleaned off the residue with tar remover. 

The vRS badge was a pig of a job, it's glued to the grille so a bit of bravery was required to prise it off. Then masked it carefully, prepped with PW and sprayed away with Plastidip. Several coats plus lacquer, carefully removed masking tape and glued back on.

Not decided what to do on the rear, I have the Skoda emblem ready to swap but dunno whether to Plastidip the rest ot just remove them...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2017 at 11:03, pist0nbr0ke said:

Could the chrome bits just be painted black and stuck directly to the body, or are there holes behind the existing badges?

Just to answer my own question, yes, this could be done. I didn't want to remove my old badges to find out without having the new ones ready to go on, so ended up refitting the entire badges painted as above. There are three small recesses behind the central winged logo, these would be hidden once the painted parts are refitted.

The only issue would be that the parts would need to be glued to the paint, unless double sided tape could be applied very neatly to the rear.

I've now debadged the back of mine, and fitted the painted rear emblem to match the front. I'll get some pictures when it's clean :dry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnailUK said:

Where did you get the paint from guys?

Paint from ebay or amazon seems to cost more than the badges themselves...

Cheers

Paint (and lacquer) from here.

These badges.

Plastidip from here.

About £50 all in for both badges and paints, so a good bit cheaper than two of the black OEM Monte Carlo ones from Superskoda, although it takes time and patience.

And you will have plenty of paint left over for further experiments ;)

• Like 1

On 18/02/2017 at 18:39, pist0nbr0ke said:

rsz_20170218_181349.jpg

Totally doing this next week. Remember seeing it somewhere before I got my car last year and then I put it on long finger, but after seeing this - looks amazing. Skoda missed a trick here, looks much more like it should on the VRS. So front and rear badges ordered, Vrs logo orderd, SKODA and OCTAVIA badges ordered for rear (not a fan of the de-badging - I want people to KNOW this awesome car is a Skoda :-) ) Touch up paint ordered.

Green and Red going on two front ribs of grill - also a trick missed by Skoda. 

Booked in to have some side decals fitted in next week or two. Just something subtle along the bottom, skinny black with VRS in it. 

Like this but in black: Just the side - 

MTM-Skoda-Octavia-RS-grey.jpg

• Like 3