New User - About to buy a new Yeti Outdoor. Questions.

4WD

Hello All,

I'm thinking of doing what all my friends are telling me is a bad idea. And that is, buy a brand new Yeti Outdoor SE L! (On 0%APR)

My dealer seems to be open to throwing in extra options for the recommended £20,990 OTR price of 1.2 TSi PS 

OR if I stick to the defaults they'll knock £2300 off (the finance price).

I do want extra options such as:

• Spare wheel - because I've somehow ended up changing a couple before in emergency situations, and I don't want to be caught without one.
  • ISOFIX for the front passenger seat - because I've got a kid.

But apart from that, I don't know what are the 'essentials' to go for. Especially if I'm going to allow the dealer to stick to the full £20,990 price. Will the sunroof (£1150 in brochure) help my re-sale value more than anything else I could add? I'm really thinking about what will help the re-sale value in 3 years more than anything.

The model is coming to the end of its life so surely Skoda needs to clear out their extras and maybe I can get a sweet deal here?

Any advice?

Many thanks.

Spare wheel (which also gets a raised boot floor)

Heated windscreen (I haven't got this but wish I did)

Smartlink is useful.

if you only intend to keep it 2 or 3 years there is some very good PCH deals (check car leasing comparison websites)

If you are buying it, get the 5 year warranty option (much more comprehensive, and cheaper than trying to buy warranty later)

There are new drive versions which include a lot of previous cost options for free (a sure sign car is being discontinued in about a year).

If going for 1.2 petrol, then many on here rave about the engine when coupled to the DSG auto gearbox, it has extra ratio over manual so always in sweet spot of engine.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

Heated front screen is a Godsend in the far North of Scotland - how useful in London only you can tell. May not have much appeal to a new buyer in London.

A long time since I was in the motor trade but the worst thing anyone could do was buy a basic spec. vehicle. We called them poverty spec. It really did hit you in the wallet when you moved it on.

You are avoiding that mistake with the SE L. As others have said you won't really see a return on any extras fitted but to a private buyer it may make it more desirable than one without them. You will take a hit as it is a runout vehicle so you really need to insulate yourself with the best price possible. The trade prices in 2 or 3 years will reflect the cheapest prices paid today. Make sure you are in that lowest price band.

Bill :)

The only options that will add any resale value (as opposed to desirability) would be metallic paint or the DSG gearbox.  The SEL is already well equipped, so only choose what you really want.  The dealer is trying it on if they are saying they will offer no discount if you choose any options.

For comparison, try getting some prices from carfile.net or drivethedeal.com.  Both usually offer good discounts on both the car and any options.

We bought a manual SEL a few months back. We got the DAB stereo and the mesh load net as we have a bigish dog and tend to load the boot up high.

If we were ordering now we'd order the same but add the heated windscreen and jets.

I'd also buy a tanker for the blinking screenwash! I've never owned a car that uses so much of the stuff :-)

25 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

Or wait for the 'all new improved' one for similar money.........a hard choice if it were me 

But you will have to wait until at least 2019 to get any decent discounts on the new Yeti - assuming release Spring 2018. I priced out a new Ateca and it was over £3,500 more expensive than a similar spec Yeti even using the best Internet price I could find. 

If you don't trust VAG to produce a reliable one straight off, it's a no-brainer to buy the proven one perhaps.

For Asian brands it's different 

Edited by Ryeman

50 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

SE L has DAB 

That must be a recent change as it was an extra on ours ordered at beginning of November. Either way its deffo worth it.

55 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

SE L has DAB 

Really? I ordered my yeti in November and the DAB wasn't standard. Upgrading to Drive is getting me the DAB , satnav and heated windscreen.

might the original enquirer consider the Drive spec?

No DAB on my SE L either. Bit of a schoolboy error not speccing it, and not possible to easily add it later. I had mistakenly assumed that it was standard. It is becoming an essential on cars now.

We ordered shortly before the SE L drive came out. I think we'd have gone for that had it been available over the stock SE L.

Agreed that DAB is near essential these days. R4 extra is worth it alone for me. Well worth the £135 to add it if it isn't standard.

Either way, good choice. Yeti is proving to be a brilliant vehicle for us.

How about getting all the options, toys and 4x4 plus saving yourself a few thousand?

If I was in the market now for a new petrol one I'd be very tempted by the PCH deals on a 1.4 L&K @ £2450 + £119/month for 23 months.  Works out at £2600 per year.  I think that will probably cost less than the depreciation on the 1.2 SEL.

1 hour ago, edwards said:

That must be a recent change as it was an extra on ours ordered at beginning of November. Either way its deffo worth it.

1 hour ago, nugbuv said:

Really? I ordered my yeti in November and the DAB wasn't standard. Upgrading to Drive is getting me the DAB , satnav and heated windscreen.

might the original enquirer consider the Drive spec?

1 hour ago, Cumbrian28 said:

No DAB on my SE L either. Bit of a schoolboy error not speccing it, and not possible to easily add it later. I had mistakenly assumed that it was standard. It is becoming an essential on cars now.

Well all I can say is that I have a 65 reg SE L with an Amundson + unit that has DAB.

Thank you for all your suggestions. It has aleady proved useful as I had no idea there was a DRIVE version available!! 

Do you think that the DRIVE will be the last special spec before the new shaped Yeti arrives? 

11 hours ago, edwards said:

We bought a manual SEL a few months back. We got the DAB stereo and the mesh load net as we have a bigish dog and tend to load the boot up high.

If we were ordering now we'd order the same but add the heated windscreen and jets.

I'd also buy a tanker for the blinking screenwash! I've never owned a car that uses so much of the stuff :-)

I'd also buy a tanker for the blinking screenwash! I've never owned a car that uses so much of the stuff :-) headlights washers absolutely drink the screenwash dry! And leave the bonnet covered in soapy residue.

9 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

Well all I can say is that I have a 65 reg SE L with an Amundson + unit that has DAB.

Mine is outdoor SE business edition  January 2016 model standard DAB /Sat nav unit. Just added heated screen and seats and spare wheel  to get the perfect vehicle .for me anyway lol.

3 hours ago, 4WD said:

Thank you for all your suggestions. It has aleady proved useful as I had no idea there was a DRIVE version available!! 

Do you think that the DRIVE will be the last special spec before the new shaped Yeti arrives? 

I've just ordered a SE L Drive 1.2 DSG. Its seems really well loaded for the price. I think the general consensus is that this is the 'run out' range.

I'm returning to a Yeti after brief flirtations with other marques. I'm not interested in the new shape one as I think it will lose the boxy appeal of the current model. All modern small SUVs seem to be going down the same visual route I think the Yeti is about the only one that dares to different and stand out in the crowd. I appreciate that the look is for everyone... but if you like it and want one now seems to be the time to buy.

Cheers

Simon