Eco vs normal vs sport fuel consumption

To get the benefit from eco mode in the DSG, you need to micromanage it.

This will either be a pain in the arse, or an interesting game, depending on your attitude to driving. It’s satisfying to judge it just-right.

You need to maximise the coasting out of gear where you will be accelerating again at the end of it, or making sure you are in-gear burning no fuel if you are going to brake anyway.

For downward hills you need to decide if you are best in gear burning no fuel, or coasting. Generally depends if you are having to brake or not.

It’s irritating that to knock it into gear on the Scout you need to either dab the brake, or knock the gears into manual. I guess those of you with VRSs can play with your flaps.

For a while I worried about the wear on the DSG from going in and out of gear, all the time, but really it’s no different from any other gearchange – probably inconsequential wear as there is very little torque involved.

Over several tanks of fuel on my commute, I reckon I save 5%. More when the roads are quiet, less when I’m braking in traffic frequently.

Doesn't bother me, if it makes them jump, they are too close.

Useful signal that you are decelerating anyway and may prompt them to do the same rather then creep up your chuff.

I have just filled up after driving my vrs in eco mode for the past week.. been coasting a bit.. found the driving different and takes just a tad to get used to.. I got nearly 33 mpg that's about 4 mpg better than I would have got in normal mode.. not bad I recon..

Ahenners - I tried using the lever to switch my dsg to sports mode while my box is in normal mode and it seems to switch the box to sports.. ie.. it drops down a gear.. maybe I'm doing something wrong.. just under 7k miles on the clock and still finding it great fun.. it teaches you something new every week!! So much fun if you don't read the manual!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chuck222 said:

Ahenners - I tried using the lever to switch my dsg to sports mode while my box is in normal mode and it seems to switch the box to sports.. ie.. it drops down a gear.. maybe I'm doing something wrong.. just under 7k miles on the clock and still finding it great fun.. it teaches you something new every week!! So much fun if you don't read the manual!!!

Why do you think you're doing something wrong? You've said it seems to switch the box into Sport, so it must have worked. Sport will rev out the gears pretty much so it probably will drop a gear compared with D mode. Does the gear display show S1,S2,S3 etc instead of D1,D2,D3?

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

Why do you think you're doing something wrong? You've said it seems to switch the box into Sport, so it must have worked. Sport will rev out the gears pretty much so it probably will drop a gear compared with D mode. Does the gear display show S1,S2,S3 etc instead of D1,D2,D3?

I just thought that by using the stick it would have kept the box in drive mode while giving you the sport response to steering and acceleration!! Silly me!! The display does show s5 rather than d6... anyway no worries.. Will carry on learning how to drive it!!

45 minutes ago, Chuck222 said:

I just thought that by using the stick it would have kept the box in drive mode while giving you the sport response to steering and acceleration!! Silly me!! The display does show s5 rather than d6... anyway no worries.. Will carry on learning how to drive it!!

Yeah that only alters the mode of the DSG box between Drive/Sport. You need to change the car profile with the "mode button" in front of the gear lever, to set steering and throttle response, and use either sport, or individual with those particular elements in sport. I rarely ever use Sport mode on the box, I usually use manual mode with the paddles if I want anything other than the standard auto shift mode.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2017 at 18:45, stu83 said:

I've recently found that on my commute in my 230 eco mode makes absolutely no difference.

Been trying out it for a few weeks, and although there are loads of variables ie average speed, traffic density, throttle position, blah blah blah, my overall mpg week on week hardly changes whether I'm in normal / sport (DSG in D) or eco.

I'd have to agree with this. My vRS TDi gets 52-54mpg in pretty much every mode on a 20 mile Motorway commute. That said, I did manage to get 74mpg in eco mode on a slow, dull day on the M25.

IMAG0184.jpg

Yep, unless you pay very close attention to what you're doing and use the coast functionality a lot, the mpg doesn't really vary.

Noticed a fairly decent return from using eco mode this week, but then again it's half term around here so the roads are quiet.

Been averaging around 37mpg instead of 31mpg. Not too bad.

I've been using either 97 or 99 RON for the last 2-3 tank fulls and have noticed an increase ... I think it makes a slight difference, but happy to pay extra for the 'better' fuel.

There's only 3-4p/l in it where I live, I wouldn't go to Shell VmaxExtraPowerSuperBestUnleadedNitro++++Extreme as it's about 8-9p/l more than super / 99!

3 hours ago, SmurfWagon said:

This may be confirmation bias, but I put some premium octane 98 in my 1.4TSI and have noticed a nearly 10% increase in efficiency. 

I don't want to put a downer on your test, but was every other variable kept constant? I did the first 3000 miles on Shell V-Power whatever-they-call-it, then switched to 95 and saw no difference whatsoever (at least, I saw nothing that got out of the usual tolerance band). My behaviour has far more impact on mpg than what fuel I put in.

I do throw the occasional premium tank in as I read somewhere that the cleaning agents are good for the injectors, which may or may not be right, I don't know. I'm not telling you not to use the premium stuff, but I'd be astonished if there was much measureable difference in economy, and certainly nothing as large as 10%.

• Like 2

I've just done Newcastle to Edinburgh and at 60mph, I was getting 55mpg on my 1.4 TSI with eco mode enabled.

Coming back, I tried vary of 60/70 and eco/sport and got 52-53. 

A lot different from my 70's I was getting from the PD130, but then again, a lot quieter and a lot smoother too. 

1 hour ago, gRoberts said:

A lot different from my 70's I was getting from the PD130, but then again, a lot quieter and a lot smoother too. 

That engine was probably one of the best VW have ever made, had it in a Bora and a remapped Fabia VRS.

Staggering performance and fuel economy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stu83 said:

That engine was probably one of the best VW have ever made, had it in a Bora and a remapped Fabia VRS.

I agree. Had a remapped Fabia vRS & it was astonishingly quick for what it was but could still return excellent fuel economy.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2017 at 15:14, Geek42 said:

I don't want to put a downer on your test, but was every other variable kept constant? I did the first 3000 miles on Shell V-Power whatever-they-call-it, then switched to 95 and saw no difference whatsoever (at least, I saw nothing that got out of the usual tolerance band). My behaviour has far more impact on mpg than what fuel I put in.

I do throw the occasional premium tank in as I read somewhere that the cleaning agents are good for the injectors, which may or may not be right, I don't know. I'm not telling you not to use the premium stuff, but I'd be astonished if there was much measureable difference in economy, and certainly nothing as large as 10%.

Even the same journey every day can be massively variable. As it was half term there was less traffic which had an influence on it.

On 25/02/2017 at 10:44, stu83 said:

My Bora was amazing (see below) - Both my Bora and Fabia VRS had the ASZ engine, however COMPLETELY different in every way.

Newcastle to Dover on under half a tank. Dover to Newcastle on the rest of the tank (with a heavier foot) - Total of 721 miles per tank!

I really miss her :( 

11845131_10153165559397266_960203833661468841_o.jpg

11880452_10153186598347266_1439438088895950532_n.jpg

• Like 2