Octavia VRS 245 Revealed

9 minutes ago, glosrich said:

Superb has been out for 2 years, so probably another 2 years to go.

Apparently not - just been reading this...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2017-skoda-superb-facelift-gain-286bhp-range-topping-engine

makes sense, as the Superb being the flagship would have older tech than both the Octavia and Kodiaq otherwise, e.g. old 6spd DSG, older infotainment and Xenon instead of LED headlights.

2 minutes ago, vtec to vrs! said:

Apparently not - just been reading this...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2017-skoda-superb-facelift-gain-286bhp-range-topping-engine

makes sense, as the Superb being the flagship would have older tech than both the Octavia and Kodiaq otherwise, e.g. old 6spd DSG, older infotainment and Xenon instead of LED headlights.

Least they haven't gone with the horrendous split headlight design like the Octavia! 

My German isn't great either but "Testfahrt" is a funny word in English :)

I'm guessing this will still use the is20 turbo not the is38?

It's also got a nice torque gain. However its still pretty fugly.

I also wonder if they will program the diff more like the cupra/golf. I've read reviews of the 230 being a little softer.

Edited by john_20v

Nice to see a facelift skoda with the right engine and drive configuration. Unfortunately its the Superb and not the ball clipped Octavia. Must surely have something to worry about if they keep the Octavia trailing behind the other variants from the family group :(

Anyway, that facelift superb may very well be my next car... 286bhp, 4 wheel drive and cavernous space? Oosh.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Alpha2110 said:

This seems slower compared to a 330d bmw and comparable power. A pre registed 330d wont be far off the new cost of the skoda and will have much better residuals. 

66 Reg X Drive 330D M sport auto estates are £30700 on Autotrader. Just a shame nobody will let you out of a junction... Seems like a great deal. 

5 hours ago, Redboy said:

66 Reg X Drive 330D M sport auto estates are £30700 on Autotrader. Just a shame nobody will let you out of a junction... Seems like a great deal. 

That's why you cut them off like real bmw driver.

On 03/02/2017 at 16:32, glosrich said:

I'm pretty sure my 1.2 110 pumps out 220......lol

How much power do you need on our congested, speed camera covered roads?

Its a good point.

But you could equally be speed caught in whatever car you have and how would you feel :)

So reversing this the other way, way let it limit your enjoyment? Just keep your eye out and learn when to moderate the loud pedal works fine works too.

On 03/02/2017 at 20:42, skoda1982 said:

Meh. 

Why do they always promo the vRS on a racetrack?  They did the same with the 230.  It really isn't a track car by any stretch of the imagination- especially with the comedy "on stilts" stance.  

Dont get me wrong, I'm still a big fan of my 230, but really Skoda, stop the track vids, ok?

and those lights - eww. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Redboy said:

And once the diesel duties go up ( forecourt? ved? councils in cities cleaning up on emissions demands ) you'll be extremely glad not to have bought such a diesel and had the skoda petrol instead.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rob_e said:

Meh. 

Why do they always promo the vRS on a racetrack?  They did the same with the 230.  It really isn't a track car by any stretch of the imagination- especially with the comedy "on stilts" stance.  

Dont get me wrong, I'm still a big fan of my 230, but really Skoda, stop the track vids, ok?

and those lights - eww. 

Its just a "cover their backsides" exercise. Just in case they go over a speed limit or run into traffic, they have the place to themselves and won't get reported for slightly exuberant driving.

3 hours ago, vRSAnt said:

And once the diesel duties go up ( forecourt? ved? councils in cities cleaning up on emissions demands ) you'll be extremely glad not to have bought such a diesel and had the skoda petrol instead.

Not really? 99% of cars under £40k will pay the same VED from April 1st this year, irrespective of being diesel, petrol or hybrid. 

Im an avid Skoda fan (I've had 3) but a 330d would leave any standard Octavia for dead in any scenario, and for those of us doing 20k a year average mileage would still work out cheaper to run than a petrol equivalent.

Diesel still has its purpose, and people will still continue to buy them. The BMW six-pot diesels are smooth, efficient, very quiet and even sound pretty good.

Edited by vtec to vrs!
  • Like 1

No you are right, "invest" is perhaps not quite the right word unless you are buying into classic cars, but the point is there is still money to be lost ( its not quite as immediate as you suggest as it does take years to depreciate cars fortunately).

So a bad decison on potentially outgoing technology could result in loss of £££. ( both directly through future increases in duties, but also in values).

Of course not everyone cares about that. Some do though, so its good to be informed.

?years?   On a parallel planet maybe.   100 yards from the dealership and it loses thousands,  even sitting on the dealership forecourt as a demonstrator it's lost thousands,  keep them 20 years and you might have almost free motoring all things considered if £1,500 a year is considered free motoring. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok but - 20 years free motoring - hopefully not planned with a diesel ? You reckon we will still have diseasel in 2037 let alone 2027 :D

Maybe the current round of new diesel buyers will get a lifeeline once the scrappage scheme comes in you can get a few thou back which you will be thankful for once the diesel forecourt prices start to peak :D

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2017 at 20:42, ahenners said:

The 330D engine is an absolute peach though. Probably one of the best diesels out there. I loved my N57 with 245ps.

I had an E92 330d LCI with the 245ps engine and in 30 years of driving it was the best all round car I have owned ... it sounded great for a diesel and went really well.  Effortless and 6 to 60 ... 15 to 100 with no problems, rattles or creaks in over 3 years.  I miss it !   Looked mean on 19" alloys too but I was only doing 8K a year !

Edited by SO8
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, SO8 said:

I had an E92 330d LCI with the 245ps engine and in 30 years of driving it was the best all round car I have owned ... it sounded great for a diesel and went really well.  Effortless and 6 to 60 ... 15 to 100 with no problems, rattles or creaks in over 3 years.  I miss it !   Looked mean on 19" alloys too but I was only doing 8K a year !

Completely agree. Mine was an M Sport with the 19" 313 alloys, had Pro nav, Heated leather, electric adjustment with the inflatable bolsters and quite a few other nice options. Was gutted to let it go, but had a baby on the way and it wasn't practical at all. Cracking engine though, would love another 330D!

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

Completely agree. Mine was an M Sport with the 19" 313 alloys, had Pro nav, Heated leather, electric adjustment with the inflatable bolsters and quite a few other nice options. Was gutted to let it go, but had a baby on the way and it wasn't practical at all. Cracking engine though, would love another 330D!

Same sort of spec as mine ... the 313 alloys made it so mean but subtle too ... :)

• Like 1