Why does the VRS sit so high?

Hi Guys,

I've never been one to mod my car any more then tints and wheels, mainly down to the idea that the manufacturer knows best.

I'm thinking of lowering my VRS but don't like messing with what a professional design team has put together with the thinking, there must be a reason why Skoda made it this way. 

Is there any technical reason to the standard VRS springs set up? 

Cheers 

3 minutes ago, Mallettsmallett said:

Carparks with kerbstones where you park in front first.

Kkkkrrrrrrrsssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh......t

Punishment for not reverse parking :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mallettsmallett said:

Don't start. 

Bugger off to pistonheads :)

Now now :crying:

Always think of the fast getaway, certainly that is my excuse at work :D

9 minutes ago, Offski said:

So they can carry 4 fare paying passengers.

Middle sized family car with a bit of go but no sports car.

Sshhhh! Its a sports car that can take 3 kids, wife and dogs. 

Edited by LHVRS
  • Like 2

I was of the same opinion - why produce a "sporty" car and then make it look like it's on stilts.

Try looking at the Eibach pro-Kit - lowers the front by 20mm and the back by 10mm. Makes the car look like it should have done when it left the factory marketed as a "sporty" car.

It actually improves the ride a little, improves the handling nicely and still rides speed bumps perfectly well. Also, still allows you to load up the car with the kids, dog and camping gear.

Standard suspension isn't going to save you from pot holes or from high kerbs if parking front end first!

• Like 1

The Skoda's are notoriously known for being on stilts from the factory. 

The interesting thing is that on all the marketing materials and official photos, the car is often lowered what looks to be around 40mm. And theres even photos from car fairs that show the suspension being compressed by tie downs. So obviously its not the designers and marketing department that wants the high car :biggrin:

skoda_octavia_iii...ex_503_0-3c9a5b4.jpg

cfszglgzwru52xtbw.jpg

Edited by Oxboll
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Oxboll said:

The Skoda's are notoriously known for being on stilts from the factory. 

The interesting thing is that on all the marketing materials and official photos, the car is often lowered what looks to be around 40mm. And theres even photos from car fairs that show the suspension being compressed by tie downs. So obviously its not the designers and marketing department that wants the high car :biggrin:

skoda_octavia_iii...ex_503_0-3c9a5b4.jpg

cfszglgzwru52xtbw.jpg

That is mental :rofl:

Edited by LHVRS

It's not a sports, but it is an awesome all rounder. I love the estate's ability to swallow a trip to Ikea, two kids and a wife, and still be able to hit 150mph (on a private road).

I do believe they look better lowered slightly, but with the state of the roads where I live, I'm better off leaving alone. Could do with a bit of stiffening to reduce the wallowing around corners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob_e said:

its all a conspiracy - someone for eibach works undercover at skoda.  every time they launch a new model he adds 30mm to the spec of the springs before they go to the supplier

maybe.

:D Im getting my tinfoil out 

passatmonster.jpg

MK4 concept 

• Like 4

Looking at fitting these soon: http://www.racingline-performance.com/vwr-sport-springs as they have been the most-recommended to me across VAG tuning garages.

Same / very similar (comfortable) ride and -35mm height. My first comment to the dealer when I saw a standard VRS / 230 in the flesh was "was it always that high?"... 

I'd personally sacrifice driving a bit more carefully (including in multi-storey CPs) for a lower ride height and better look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ads230 said:

Looking at fitting these soon: http://www.racingline-performance.com/vwr-sport-springs as they have been the most-recommended to me across VAG tuning garages.

Same / very similar (comfortable) ride and -35mm height. My first comment to the dealer when I saw a standard VRS / 230 in the flesh was "was it always that high?"... 

I'd personally sacrifice driving a bit more carefully (including in multi-storey CPs) for a lower ride height and better look.

golf has different axle loads to a vrs so although the springs might physically fit they won't necessarily have the correct rating.  eibach do a "pro" and "sportline" option for the vRS  - pro is a mild drop, sportline a bit more.

• Like 2

Lets face it, the car spends more time here...

Image result for pot hole road

...than here...

Image result for nurburgring

Looks ace on a forum, your drive or on your phone down the pub but a complete arse to actually use as a car...

Image result for slammed octavia

Lets face it though, tyres can be cheap!

Image result for elastic band

• Like 3

Use mine everyday for EVERYTHING. work, bikes, kids transport.. I do about 20k a year on our wonderful British roads ;-/ But only pay 30 quid a year tax so don't complain to much haha.  Rides the bumps better on these springs than the originals tbh

• Like 1