New Top Gear with Matt (Part Deux)

Chan110

I'm hopeful that they'll try to do something different and not just TG2b, since the Amazon lot are doing TG2a.

I'm sceptical but have hope. Chris Harris is pretty good as long as he just does himself and doesn't try to be Hammond, I thought Rory Reid was a bit Wooden in his first series but he should relax with more outings and I quite liked Matt LeBlonc he's clearly the most comfortable with a script and seemed to enjoy it mostly.

Sabine is lovely and nuts but I haven't read if she's returning, Same for EJ but I never really saw the point of him in the first series. I'm sure he could be good but just not as a bumbling foil, give him some proper industry reporting he's a clever guy use him.

They have the online segment as well they could be doing proper review or motoring news on that and still have the main entertainment program.

Yesterday was pretty good!

No sign of Eddie or Sabine and they didn't feature in any of the video pieces either. Also no explicit references to the Stig at all.

The celebrity lap times are now set on the old track again and in a reasonably fast car (no more reasonably priced!).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

They did nothing new at all, the producers should be dragged out and shot just for that.

As before Chris Harris is good on his own doing his thing. Just him in the Ferrari was the bit of the show that worked best.

I don't mind Matt, I really don't but I think maybe the show would be better without him in the dynamic between them. The thing that worked with the other were that they really were mates, these guys aren't, not yet anyway. And I think they neither of them will ever be mates with Matt. He's a Hollywood millionaire known globally from one of the biggest TV shows ever. I just can't see them getting ****ed in a pub together, that's why it seems forced.

Oh and FFS get rid of the Celebrities. Even the faux celebrity bit on TGT that tries to take the **** is ****.

Celebrities on car shows are **** unless they are total petrol heads like Jay Kay, Jay Leno, Steve Coogan etc.

Not a smug wee ****e like McAvoy (he's a good actor, but still a smug wee ****e).

I thought it was much better than s1, which is to say pretty crap but not totally awful, probably as good as TGT. Which is to say a shadow of TG at it's best.

Does no one want to do anything new? Are we going to have two sets of presenters both doing a subpar impression of TG?

27 minutes ago, Aspman said:

They did nothing new at all, the producers should be dragged out and shot just for that.

As before Chris Harris is good on his own doing his thing. Just him in the Ferrari was the bit of the show that worked best.

I don't mind Matt, I really don't but I think maybe the show would be better without him in the dynamic between them. The thing that worked with the other were that they really were mates, these guys aren't, not yet anyway. And I think they neither of them will ever be mates with Matt. He's a Hollywood millionaire known globally from one of the biggest TV shows ever. I just can't see them getting ****ed in a pub together, that's why it seems forced.

Oh and FFS get rid of the Celebrities. Even the faux celebrity bit on TGT that tries to take the **** is ****.

Celebrities on car shows are **** unless they are total petrol heads like Jay Kay, Jay Leno, Steve Coogan etc.

Not a smug wee ****e like McAvoy (he's a good actor, but still a smug wee ****e).

I thought it was much better than s1, which is to say pretty crap but not totally awful, probably as good as TGT. Which is to say a shadow of TG at it's best.

Does no one want to do anything new? Are we going to have two sets of presenters both doing a subpar impression of TG?

Pretty much sums it up.

Much better without the ginger one, although I only watched the first one of the last series.

Couple of points on tonight's show: Do the presenters have to wave their arms and point their fingers so much when talking?

We've seen Hammond 'accidentally' let cars roll down hills before, so the taxi rolling away was nothing new.

I thought that was way better than TGT or New TG S1.

They're starting to get a bit of a rapport on the location shoots and seem to be enjoying themselves. LeBlanc still seems a bit wooden in the studio bits. But the films were good. Especially the FXXK, that was an awesome opener. So well filmed, and I've always like Chris Harris as a presenter.

As for doing something new - I'm not sure what else they can add. They need to carry on doing review pieces on cars. As long as they don't go the TGT way of being obviously overly scripted.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aspman said:

My thoughts exactly.

Gaz

• Like 1

9 hours ago, moley said:

Pretty much sums it up.

Much better without the ginger one, although I only watched the first one of the last series.

Couple of points on tonight's show: Do the presenters have to wave their arms and point their fingers so much when talking?

We've seen Hammond 'accidentally' let cars roll down hills before, so the taxi rolling away was nothing new.

Para 2 - Agreed; everything is better without the ginger onanist!

Para 4 - {whoosh}

The black cab was up on bricks with the engine running; its escape was not "if" but "when"!

I thought it was good - certainly better than last series

Chemistry / friendship will take time to develop and it looked like it was getting there.

I like the idea of having a guest in for more than just the "lap" segments, especially if they have good stuff to add.

Yes, the runaway taxi was stage-able, but it still made me and my wife laugh

- and there's an indication that things are different: my wife agreed to watch last night, and admitted that it was good. That hasn't happened since about 2 series before clarkson et all stopped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chan110 said:

I forgot to watch it :o

Arggghhhhh! :angry:

it's on the I player.

2 hours ago, moley said:

it's on the I player.

It's ok!

I just watched it on BBC2 ENG :biggrin:

It's er....Not that good

The video I posted in OP was brill, funny had chemistry

Just watched episode 1, it's just no chemistry and slightly akwardness between the hosts - but a LOT better than Season 1 :)

I still prefer the original Top Gear though....

12 minutes ago, Chan110 said:

When Chris S Volvo rammed into Matt S Merc, was that a real accident???

As there was no safety helmet, neck guard and no air bag :o

My guess is it was meant, just not that hard. Matt's neck snapped back pretty hard

1 minute ago, Chan110 said:

When Chris S Volvo rammed into Matt S Merc, was that a real accident???

As there was no safety helmet, neck guard and no air bag :o

Just watched it, the accident looked just that, an accident and Matt looked ****ed lol much better this time round