What size ? Car and model ?

The Rapid manual details the below -

Load index - indicates the maximum permissible load for each individual tyre
Load index
83 84 85 86 87 88
Load
(In kg)
487 500 515 530 545 560

There are plenty of suitable XL tyres that need not cost more, but the reinforced sidewalls are well worth having just for the added protection you get with ironwork 

and potholes, obviously they are still not indestructible & some like Pirelli Zero Nero are worth giving a swerve if you do not want a flashing TC light.

Ignore the Extra Load or XL requirements as they''re fairly ambiguous. Just fit tyres with the required load rating for the manufacturers specifications and be done with it. Extra load simply means more than another similar tyre, and isn't something to be used as a definitive measurement. The Load Index rating stated by the manufacturers is all that's important (both to you and your insurance provider).

On a Mk2 vRS Fabia i have 215/40 R 17 TIGAR Tyres.  Tigar tyres that are wholly owned by Michelin but obviously they are not Michelin's, 

manufactured in Europe, suitable for bad roads, XL Tyres @ £50 or so a tyre fitted at ATS Euromaster.

Not ditch finders and rather good, i have run Winter & Snow versions of TIGAR Tyres on my Skoda and a Volvo and recommend them.

(I have lots of Dunlop Sport-Maxx, Pirelli Zero Nero & Maxxis AP2 still sitting about in my shed that are the still in good condition partners of sets where one or more were wrecked on bad roads in the past 6 years.)

http://shop.atseuromaster.co.uk/tyres/tigar 

http://shop.atseuromaster.co.uk/tyres/tigar/syneris 

DSCN0331.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

My OEM Contis are close to worn out now, despite passing the MoT today.

Anybody fitted something different to a Rapid/Toledo in 215/40R17.

I was thinking Vredestein Ultrac Sessenta, or Nokian Z line but they're both a bit pricey for a set of 4.

For more reasonable money though - has anyone tried Toyo Proxes T1R, Hankook Ventus V12 evo2, or Falken ZE914 Ecorun?

I was looking at some Avons on black circles. Look reasonable. My rear tyres are going to be due in a few 1000 miles. In had to get a Dunlop sport maxx for the front though as I didn't want to mix patterns. :( Very expensive.

Some tyre trivia:

XL tyres require a higher pressure to achieve the same load capacity as a standard tyre.

e.g

215/40R17 - standard - 87 load rating. At 32 psi load capacity is 490kg

215/40R17 - XL - 87 load raing. At 32 psi load capacity is 435kg. Requires 36psi to have the same load capacity as a standard.

Wouldn't matter with a light car...

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

And even with a 'Sport' decal fitted there is no extremes of Power / performance to cause issues, so just the roads conditions.

I'll have you know a 'Sport' decal adds 25BHP. 

• 1 month later...

I'm having a set of Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 185/60 R15 XL tyres fitted tomorrow morning and they were only £1.50 more per tyre than the standard ones - They were about £61 each.

The reason that I have bought extra load ones is that I do carry a lot of weight in the car from time to time, I enjoy driving and cornering quickly (but safely) and I hate the saggy look the fronts especially get after a while.

Although they're not entirely necessary for a car as light as this, the relatively low cost over the standard ones made it well worthwhile to get them, even for the tiniest gains in cornering etc

They are still rated B for fuel economy, A for wet grip and are 67dB which is the same as the standard ones

Time will tell how they compare to the factory fitted Conti Ecocontact tyres which I managed to get 19500 miles out of on the fronts without rotating them before they got near the minimum legal wear marker

Edited by Delberthot

I just had my car serviced and they quoted me £150 per tyre for my rear 215/40 17s. I needed 2 as they were low. I got two maxxis hp5 tyres for £120 for both from a local tyre place. Rated C for fuel and A for wet. I highly recommend them they feel way better than the continentals that were on there, quiet too.

going to get Falken 914 ecorun on mine I think. under £300 for a set of 4 (17s)

only got 30000 on the oem contis mind so i'll wait a few (summer) months yet.

Edited by camelspyyder

• 6 months later...
On 10/28/2017 at 21:23, jazzuk777 said:

I can't find any information that makes it clear what rating I need - my 1.2 105bhp TSI SE has 185/60 R15 88H on it, but tyre sites show up 84 when I put in my reg?

84 is correct for 185/60R15 on a Rapid. Any rating over 84 is legal.

The download ( in German) at http://www.skoda-auto.de/service/zubehoeronline details Skoda vehicles (from 2005?) and their approved tyre and wheel sizes. I think the document lists all tyre sizes that are approved and has been prepared because additional sizes of tyres have become available after the models initial tyre approval.    The Fabia takes up pages 20 to 91