Would you buy used approved octavia without viewing it?

Hi all,

Still looking for a mk3 1.4 tsi hatch or estate for 11k or less.

I've seen one a long long way from me that is a good price, I've been sent a video which also pointed out some the bad points, odd scratch etc. The car is 3 years old.

It ticks all boxes, is very competitively priced and they can deliver to me for no extra cost.

Would you take the risk if the price was right? I've been assured that if im not satisfied i can change the car up to a month later.

Your thoughts? 

Thanks as always

It's personal opinion, but I would never advise that.

But depends on how picky you are.

But for me there are just too many ways a used car can be bad. Dirty, smoked in, dog mess, children mess, chips, scratches, paintwork car washed to death and full of swirls etc

Still don't know why you don't buy new, with £2k deposit contribution, 0% and discount available.

Just keep it for 10 years to get full value out of it.

• Like 1

I assume you have already driven and looked hard and long at the car you want to buy but IIRC you can't find a suitable car as they are thin on the ground on the for sale market?

I'd say that if the long distance car is from a ' national ' outlet they may be able to deliver to an outlet nearer to you, obviously that would mean if you have or the car develops issues you have an accessible point of return.

Downside would also be that you may because of the hassle of returning a car bought from a distance away you may settle for something that doesn't quite live up to your expectations.

Check that any warranty offered isn't restricted to in house repairs otherwise it ain't worth diddly-squat, in which case offer considerably less and purchase your own warranty ( car would still be covered by your consumers rights needing to be as described and fit for purpose of course )

Where are you and where is this car ?

Not a SKODA APPROVED USED CAR, (Or any VW Group Approved used car or any other manufacturers)

because the checks and workshop safety checks mean nothing.

& you want the car serviced because if a service is not due there may well be one due soon.

Look in the 'Insurance and legal section here' there is a recent thread on a SKODA APPROVED USED CAR, with not SKODA APPROVED body repairs badly done.

I bought an approved car without seeing it. It was an absolute bargain though, and an ex dealer demo.

A few annoying things I've found, ie scratches on the gloss black panels in and outside the car, a few chips on the alloys, and recently found the passenger front tyre has taken a hit or two, but nothing major.

Usually a deposit will secure the car for a week or two, so long enough to get up there to take a look. If it's not as described, or not the condition it should be then I'm sure you can get your deposit back.

I saw my car for sale 160 miles away. Looked on the internet at the reputation of the garage selling it and it was a family owned business for some years, with excellent feedback. Talked to the salesman and agreed to put down a £500 deposit, agreeing that if the car was not as described when I saw it, deposit would be returned. Took the train and after looking round the vehicle and a good test drive, bought it. Drove it home really happy. You always take a risk buying a car this way and it is the first time I have ever done a deal this way as well. I felt I did my homework as best I could and there was a get out clause, so for me it worked.  

• Like 4

I did this when I bought my Mk3. Made enquiries over the phone, received a personalised video and various images etc. Provisionally agreed a deal including trade in for my MK2 FL VRS, put a deposit down which was refundable if the car wasn't as described, and then travelled to Cambridge (about 4.5 hours away) to view and finalise everything etc.

Was a pleasant experience overall and glad I did. Haven't seen another one come up since for similar money, same spec, low mileage etc.

I think as long as you have done your homework on the car, you're sure it's what you're after and have provisionally agreed a deal, then you shouldn't end up being disappointed or make a wasted trip for nothing.

Edited by ahenners

Skoda Approved Used cars have the 1,000 mile / 30 day return bit do they not.

As to no Deposit Return if the car was not in the 'Perfect' or as good as new, no damage etc that the Dealership Employee is telling you, that is chocolate.

If they want to sell Skoda Approved Used cars that the person buying them and then having delivered to the Dealership is not perfect then Dealerships need to suck it up.

As to 'Management Cars', Head Salesperson's demonstrator and all that stuff, you want to know where or who they were leased to and have them put that in writing. It does not count for much but if a 'Hire Company' had it it is nice to know.

I once paid a £500 deposit over the phone for a used XJ Jag in Huddersfield. Took the train to collect it, not too far from home, but when I got there, there was no way it could be considered prepared to approved used Jaguar standard. I can't recall what else was wrong but the wheels were a mess. I was told it would be rectified if I took it back but I told them they had had their chance to prepare it, and walked away, having taken photos of the issues. Ithought twice, because I really wanted to drive home in a Jag, not return by train. It took a bit of a battle to get my deposit back, emails to the dealer principal etc , but I would have taken it to court if they hadn't returned my deposit. Jaguar main dealer, who would have thought it. Be careful and get any assurances about your deposit and the condition of the car in writing, if only by email. Hopefully, it will be as you expect

Bought my first Scout (mk2) without seeing it in the flesh and would never do it again. Was an approved used Skoda from a big dealer but car was nowhere near the standard I expected from what I'd been told or from the video I was sent. 

I bought my vRS  from a dealer in Barnstable. About a 6hr train journey from Sheffield. But the price and spec were right, and only a £60 train ticket. The dealer sent me through a good walk round video, and the car was well prepared when I got there. I paid a £250 refundable deposit over the phone.

I knew I was taking a risk, but to be honest the risk worth taking. The way I saw it, if the car wasn't good, I lost out on the train ticket.

Now nearly a year later, I am still very happy with my choice.

If they can deliver to you for no extra cost, and you can test drive it before accepting it, then I don't really see a downside, as long as any warranty that is given can be used locally. If it can't, and has to be at the selling dealer, then I wouldn't touch it, to much hassle if anything does go wrong.

7 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

as long as any warranty that is given can be used locally. If it can't, and has to be at the selling dealer, then I wouldn't touch it, to much hassle if anything does go wrong.

Approved Used provides a 12 month Skoda-backed warranty which can be used at any main dealer. If there's a genuine, valid warranty claim, the dealer will do the work and invoice it to the Skoda warranty administrator.

Edited by ahenners

4 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Approved Used provides a 12 month Skoda-backed warranty which can be used at any main dealer. If there's a genuine, valid warranty claim, the dealer will do the work and invoice it to the Skoda warranty administrator.

Good thing to. As I had the water pump go and got it fixes under warranty by my local dealer

But wasn't sure if the op was buying an approved skoda, or just from a big chain who could deliver locally, hence the concern about the warranty.

Being 'approved' you would think it affords you some sort of peace of mind that you are buying a well checked and good condition vehicle.

Personal experience suggests otherwise...

I would Always check before I buy.

Just because its from a dealer with a warranty etc doesnt mean its going to be ok,it may have had paintwork at some point etc,id never buy a car that i havent inspected & driven first,if they can state in writing that you can leave a deposit that will be fully refunded to you should the car not be as promised when they deliver it & its inspected by you then ok but unless its a a rare sort after car id not bother,plenty of normal cars for sale around nowadays to spend your hard earned money on. 

Thanks all,

I am very picky so i think you've persuaded me to avoid, shame as it is about a grand cheaper than elsewhere. This was a Skoda used approved by the way.

A mk2 1.4 TSI has turned up though, this would save me some pennies but guess the car would be worthless in a few years?

Cheers

22 hours ago, glosrich said:

It's personal opinion, but I would never advise that.

But depends on how picky you are.

But for me there are just too many ways a used car can be bad. Dirty, smoked in, dog mess, children mess, chips, scratches, paintwork car washed to death and full of swirls etc

Still don't know why you don't buy new, with £2k deposit contribution, 0% and discount available.

Just keep it for 10 years to get full value out of it.

Thanks for the advice, i am going to Avoid, shame though because it really is an excellent price.

I understand what you're saying about buying new, how much, with the deposit do you think i could get the 1.0 tsi for then with a discount? Something like 18k?

Also, i refuse to buy the face-lift, so disappointed with the new front, not sure if i could order the pre-facelift as new now?

Cheers

The 1.0 SE hatch is £18400 list price, but broadspeed say you can get them for £15263.

I wouldn't expect to get all that discount if you take the 0% and £2k Skoda deposit contribution. I would hope around £17k maybe.

Why don't you run a carwow quote, broadspeed and the briskoda car buying quote and when they reply ask for a 0% finance quote?

Use your savings to pay for that. Then at the end of the deal either hand it back or buy it and keep forever. A cheap used car you know has been looked after.

I personally wouldn't buy a car without seeing it.  One Skoda garage wouldn't transfer cars between dealers however the car I bought was at a garage over 2 hours away but the dealer closer to me transferred the car to them for me to view and test drive. All they asked was a £50 refundable deposit to hold the car till I had test drove it and decided if I wanted to buy it, but had to make a decision that day! 

Just my opinion..

3 minutes ago, SimonD316 said:

Depending on where the car is there may be a member who can take a quick look around the car for you?

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Where is the car located?