VW's Arteon to replace Phaeton

Ryeman

2 minutes ago, CWARD said:

vw-arteon-2017-0133.jpg?itok=lWbUKMn4

C6B4_vDWQAEq_js.jpg

Such a radical design I wonder where they got their inspiration from :dry:

Thank god its Not BMW pudding look.

Pudding look? Never heard that one before please explain as I'm confused? I love a good rice pudding, black pudding too but not very keen on steak and kidney pudding. 

It looks like a BMW M4, Porsche Panamera and VW CC had a threesome and this is the outcome. 

I actually like it. 

Wasn't the Phaeton just the swan song of the outgoing VW President at the time?  It had some weird design/engineering brief of having 4 doors, being able to top 200mph (W12 version), work in the desert or the arctic circle and also have an analogue clock. 

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Is it exciting or OK? Would it benefit from having a better interior from say something like.... an Audi

Think I wrote that already? the exterior absolutely. Interior could use different seats and wheel for my like but the rest of it is ok. One does not negate the other does it? Thing is I would say ok for practically all non sport/performance models out there, Audi, BMW and Merc included, none of them is actually exciting for me without proper sports items in there that are usually only found in M, AMG, RS variants. In fact I thought the same for the last 330i that I was negotiating for a couple of weeks before forgetting about it as even in the M-Sport trim I struggled to feel I was sitting in something a bit more special than just another mass BMW, so yeah, a not so exciting interior for me is rather the norm.

Which is why I then said a proper "R" or whatever they want to label it would be much more tempting given that it would most definitely come with the necessary sportier interior.

Nonetheless body lines are for sure in the right direction. The silhouette might remind of an A5 from the side but the front mask and rear end take different paths that to me are more appealing than even the latest A5. Now if such a good looking car will be offered with a less ridiculously priced options list what's not to like?

•  
Edited by newbie69

18 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Pudding look? Never heard that one before please explain as I'm confused? I love a good rice pudding, black pudding too but not very keen on steak and kidney pudding. 

BMW,ageing Heavy , bloated and Stodgy ,check out previous page photos. M2 just breaks that mould a little.

You might need to check your figures for heavy and bloated

BMW 3 Series 1475kg to the equivalent Audi A4 1320kg

BMW 5 Series 1615kg to the equivalent Audi A6 1625kg

BMW 7 Series 1755kg to the equivalent Audi A8 1880kg

1 out 3 isn't bad, no wait it is.  

Keith the information is freely available to find before spouting rubbish, and that is my last comment.

9 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Keith the information is freely available to find before spouting rubbish, and that is my last comment.

Of course the a8 is 4wd as standard 

• Like 1

I would never look at a conventional sedan again as a preference.

The hatchback/crossover is all I'm likely to ever be interested in.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, simonsheil said:

Of course the a8 is 4wd as standard 

The BMW was 4wd too.

Combined with BMW’s xDrive four-wheel drive system, the 7-series is an amazingly capable car given its 1755kg kerb weight. Body control, particularly in the Sport or Adaptive driving modes, is way beyond what an S-class could manage.

Now no more comments.

1 hour ago, CWARD said:

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/volkswagen-arteon-looks-no-other-vw

53 minutes ago, CWARD said:

"Volkswagen Artoen looks like no other VW", correct it looks like an Audi 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/2018-volkswagen-arteon-prototype-review-volksballerhätch/ar-AAlCjGj

Even by U.S. standards, it appears a somewhat 'inexpensive' 4 cylinder compared to an A7.......not that I know ANYTHING about them.

10 hours ago, CWARD said:

"Volkswagen Artoen looks like no other VW", correct it looks like an Audi 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/2018-volkswagen-arteon-prototype-review-volksballerhätch/ar-AAlCjGj

Yeah we got that from your first post ;) But for something that you so much dislike/reject/don't care about, you sure spend a whole lot of your time posting about it, weird...

• Like 1

My 335d is 1700Kg, the A4 3.0d quattro is 1600. So Beemers are a bit lardier.

Horses for courses, when I was looking for a fast diesel what I saw was that the BMW range was better value than Audi.

And back OT I struggle to see why VAG feels it needs to replicate each nitch in every brand it owns. I'm it makes sens to someone in the business but not to me. This just looks like a VW to steal sales from the A5 and the 4 series.

5 hours ago, Aspman said:

Horses for courses, when I was looking for a fast diesel what I saw was that the BMW range was better value than Audi.

And back OT I struggle to see why VAG feels it needs to replicate each nitch in every brand it owns. I'm it makes sens to someone in the business but not to me. This just looks like a VW to steal sales from the A5 and the 4 series.

Soap powder selling /marketing  syndrome /market share. Recovering on going shared group capital costs. Different box same powder!!

7 hours ago, Aspman said:

Soap powder selling /marketing  syndrome /market share. Recovering on going shared group capital costs. Different box same powder!!

15 hours ago, vrskeith said:

I do like Thomas's reviews.

• 1 year later...

Ended up behind an Arteon today, first time seeing one in the metal. 6months old ish by reg number. 

Donegal reg, in Nth Co Cork he was a looong way from home.

It looks okay, seems to be a lift back? 

Given its a lift back, it might make it onto my future used car purchase list..

If owner reports etc turn out good and theres value in the market...