When i test drove a dsg tsi vrs, the first roundabout we arrived at it did this, and then each subsequent one, in rush hour. I looked at the salesman and i asked if something was wrong, and he said ' it's your first dsg experience, you'll get used to it'.

I used the next roundabout to drive back to the dealers. I may have got used to with some adjustment, but i couldn't face it.

I'm hoping that the vw dsg in the golf r doesnt have the same nuances. I really want a dsg.

LOL, you have no idea how often that happens, Demonstrators and Used cars driven daily or often be Sales Staff and Customers, 

95 ron supermarket fuel and the memory of the previous driver.

So nice once you have had a DSG in Dynamic Mode or reset and driving as the engineers designed them to.

No need to adjust to the DSG, have the DSG adjust to you, they can.

26 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

LOL, you have no idea how often that happens, Demonstrators and Used cars driven daily or often be Sales Staff and Customers, 

95 ron supermarket fuel and the memory of the previous driver.

So nice once you have had a DSG in Dynamic Mode or reset and driving as the engineers designed them to.

No need to adjust to the DSG, have the DSG adjust to you, they can.

So you think my constant use of 99 ron fuel, the loud pedal and a DTUK pedal box are the reasons I've never experienced the ****te you lot are whinging about

• Like 3

I also have a DSG box and have a similar problem.  If I'm driving in slow or stop start traffic on a hill, I use sport mode because it changes up later and keeps the revs up a bit.  But if I pull away from zero on a hill in sport mode, there is too much of a delay after I let go of the brake before the clutch begins to bite.  Before I got used to it, I used to get very jumpy starts because the revs would build too much and the clutch would engage almost instantly.  However, if I make a hill start in normal mode, I always get a smooth take off.

Bye the way, has anyone else noticed the tip in the handbook for making a quick start?  While holding the brake pedal with your left foot, press the accelerator and get some revs, then let go of the brake.  You'll take off with a bit of wheel spin!!

My DSG transmission is my first automatic since 1983. I think it's excellent, but have nothing to compare it to. Referring to the hesitation mentioned by the OP and a post regarding stop/start half way through the thread: is stop/start not relevant to the issue? I have experienced unwanted hesitation in London rush hour roundabout situations, but not when stop/start is disabled.

6 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi Gerry, have you tried the Subaru CVT? - the one with 7 or 8 programmed "steps" 

No, but I have read it is one of the best and also one of the only ones that can handle high torque applications. Subie's in house engineering is pretty good and they have a good reputation for reliability here if serviced correctly. 

10 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

?

How high was that 'tremendous rate of failures' that DQ200 DSG were suffering in Australia, 

were there figures released?

Er 'tremendous' might have been a poetic overstatement on my part, it was getting late here.

I don't know the figures but there were reports in many quarters of 2 boxes being replaced under warranty on the same vehicle but worse still were the high number that failed just outside warranty and being offered and quarter to half of the $7000(?) replacement cost or even none.

As I recall the Chinese government had intervened with VW to rectify a huge (no exaggeration this time) number of troublesome DSG boxes in their home market, just at the time Australian public condemnation was rising here, which was when the VW Australia turnaround occurred.

Have to remember that the VW group are a relatively small player in this market so the actual number of incidents was probably small but proportionately high among the DQ200 users.

Since then I have heard that VW Australia are far more accepting of their responsibilities and willing to change boxes outside warranty periods and even change worn clutch packs with no argument.

To put the importance of correct response to a problem in some sort of perspective, a locally produced Holden Cruze with a 6 speed torque converter box suffered similar high failure rates and they recognised it was an issue early and changed boxes without any questions so it never became news worthy.

• Like 1

Skoda Australia had to change their attitude very much after they had been all 'Never heard of that before' etc 

Briskoda members here with Fabia Mk2 vRS had been panned off like ones in Europe were being and still can be, 

then they got 'Breather Pipe / Valve mods', then Mod type 2 as it was being done as an experiment, then replacement Oil Spray Jets before that was getting done for owners in Europe, then New Clutch Packs, and even a gearbox when up to the point just before being replaced Skoda Australia were telling Dealerships there was nothing wrong.

Only a few Mk2 Fabia vRS Mk2 owners on this forum but they have been getting the warranty work done quicker than others in Europe have in some cases but still to start with Skoda Australia Dealership employees were coming away with the same guff as 'Within Tolerances' & 'They all do that', 'It is a characteristic' etc.

Good that Skoda & VW / Audi Australia got real eventually, if they have now.

When there were companies providing fixes for the 2nd biggest manufacurers in the worlds faulty Design & Manufactured products while VW were not accepting there was faults it could never continue as it was with VW doing nothing.  

Well not in The Rest of the World, their home market is different, they can be 3 monkeys as long as they liked, 'No understand', 

We speak a different language when we do not want to see or hear how Sh!te we can be.

http://hp.net.au/hp/index.php/products/software 

Software _ Harding Performance DSG Software - VW 7 speed DQ200 - 1.4 Twincharged Vehicles.mhtml

Edited by Awayoffski

I must admit I've noticed this too with mine, mostly when going uphill, around a corner lift off the gas, back on and it'll take about a second or 1.5s to understand what you want, then the car will jerk into action.

Has anyone actually tried the VCDS 'Audi' throttle tweak on the O3 - does it work?

Edited by mabnz

10 minutes ago, mabnz said:

I must admit I've noticed this too with mine, mostly when going uphill, around a corner lift off the gas, back on and it'll take about a second or 1.5s to understand what you want, then the car will jerk into action.

Has anyone actually tried the VCDS 'Audi' throttle tweak on the O3 - does it work?

Been tried with mixed results:

Just now, pist0nbr0ke said:

Been tried with mixed results:

Cheers. That DTUK box looks interesting, I might have to look into one of those. Who's got one here?

23 minutes ago, mabnz said:

Cheers. That DTUK box looks interesting, I might have to look into one of those. Who's got one here?

Yeah I've got 1 on my O3, depending on how you set it up depends how much lag you get. I have no throttle lag whatsoever

But as AJW1100 said, you do need to be agile to fit it

Edited by themanwithnoaim

14 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

No, but I have read it is one of the best and also one of the only ones that can handle high torque applications. Subie's in house engineering is pretty good and they have a good reputation for reliability here if serviced correctly. 

I tried one with a free upgrade on a hired Legacy a few years back in the US, I usually prefer renting manuals if they are available - but being the Land of the Free, they tend to be mostly auto's. The Legacy we got had paddles and I really liked the box in that, especially as I was using it in manual mode - the steps were almost imperceptible, but it didn't feel at all like driving a Kart. If you get the chance, rent one for a tryout. 

47 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Gerrycan, 

i came across the article i read and posted in a thread back in 2013.

John White finally almost saying sorry.

http://drive.com.au/motor-news/volkswagen-we-need-to-do-better-2utkm.html 

I vaguely remember it from a different local source but I didn't take much notice at the time as I was not involved in Forums and did not have any issues with my vehicles.

Certainly hear less damning complaints these days but it is interesting how the 'coalface workers' try to manufacture improved customer returns.

Basically, after annual car services I was subtly pressured to complete glowing customer survey reports online which is hardly good practice to find out where things are going wrong

Unfortunately the local dealer had tried to overcharge me by about 50% for both the last two annual services for my Mk3 1.4tsi manual.

I had copies of the correct pricing with me and they blamed the computer system (naturally), but fixed the bill accordingly.

So my customer survey had complaints about their computer system, the attempted perversion of the survey, but satisfaction with the work done :)

They even managed to follow my instructions not to wash the car although it confused the desk clerk why, and I had to explain that I did not trust their guy to do a proper job.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Yeah I've got 1 on my O3, depending on how you set it up depends how much lag you get. I have no throttle lag whatsoever

But as AJW1100 said, you do need to be agile to fit it

Does it go connected under the drivers footwell or in the engine bay?

• 2 weeks later...

The Octavia was in for service today and the software was updated on the DSG. Although there was no noticeable 'lag' before, the car is much more responsive at lower revs since the update.

• Like 1