Garage Floor Paint

Robshaw

Hello all,

I'd be very interested to know if anyone here has painted a garage floor before.

If you have, what did you use? Epoxy Resin? Ideally I'd like a very simple gloss grey floor.  

I'm interested to hear others thoughts/suggestions before doing this project.

Open to suggestions please.

Rob.

yes I have, used this stuff https://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/Ronseal_Diamond_Hard_Floor_Paint.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhpnGBRDKpY-My9rdutABEiQAWNcslImD9zjlSOjyt19QTPyR6fpO3wxDNwGYRMwsyFjrGF8aAkf68P8HAQ 

All I would say is make sure the concrete has fully gone off, as I had to paint mine after only a few days of being poured and it has lifted in places!

• Like 1

Should concrete sealant be put down first to stop it lifting?

Sorry to hijack, I'm thinking of doing mine soon too. But the concrete is 70yr old so should be set I think.

• Like 2

I used the Leyland stuff from Screwfix - floor previously painted. It stank to high heaven for about 10 days though. Fingers crossed it's not been too bad so far. 

• Like 1

One point to think about is, that if you are one of the few people that actually put your car in the garage, then if you put the car in when wet then you end up with big puddles on the floor that you don't get on an unsealed concrete floor.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Glad this came up... need to do mine. I'll have to rent a luton van for a day or two as it's full of junk, then take it to the tip :)

Mine is a very weak mix, lots of gravel. Thus it's now very dusty and the gravel comes out very easily. I'm thinking of putting a self leveling screed down to about a inch, then paint that. So all tips welcomed.

The only niggle I have, other than knackered knees, is one section I've put down some plastic sheet and laid a small floor; it's the briskoda dispatch area, the margin between open garage and plastic is always very damp under the sheeting and anything metal in that zone attracts a gel like rust. I've put this down to moisture temp trapping at this point over damp rising. But... I'd not be surprised by anything in this old gin palace.

• Like 1

I get saltpetre growing on the walls of my garage because some of it is below ground level.

All I need now is some charcoal and sulphur and I get a free holiday to Cuba.

But really a bit of damp coming through the brickwork which I suppose I'd need to deal with before painting.

21 hours ago, Aspman said:

Should concrete sealant be put down first to stop it lifting?

Sorry to hijack, I'm thinking of doing mine soon too. But the concrete is 70yr old so should be set I think.

Very interesting question! Do we simply apply said paint listed above or do a layer of concrete sealant first? The floor itself is currently concrete with no marks/damp/damage - Just needs a clean and painting ideally.

Sadly, my car isn't going to be stored in there as my A4 Avant is too wide/long! 

Edited by Robshaw

5 minutes ago, Robshaw said:

Sadly, my car isn't going to be stored in there as my A4 Avant is too wide/long! 

Once I painted mine and got new roller doors fitted I got my LWB VW T5 transporter inside :-)

48 minutes ago, Robshaw said:

Very interesting question! Do we simply apply said paint listed above or do a layer of concrete sealant first? The floor itself is currently concrete with no marks/damp/damage - Just needs a clean and painting ideally.

I have used the ronseal stuff and it did say on the tin to prime it so I did. Don't think it made it any more durable though so I would use the money to buy 2 tins of paint and make sure you give it plenty of coats

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to paint my garage floor but after speaking to various people that done it the paint lifted and flaked off. Ended up just painting garage walls white, then bought some foam and rubber floor tiles and mats. Great for saving the knees when working on the motorbike. 

Edited by DanGum

A job I need to do again.

Although the paint has lifted in places I prevented it lifting by the tyres running over it (worse if wet, they dry and stick) and lay down some old rubber conveyer belting, ideal and wide enough to cover the that part of the floor the tyres run over.

This reminds me about a test area at work, where the floor was painted as part of the initial build, but at all the points where rainwater got through the concrete roof via badly sealed pipe access holes, as said elsewhere, the floor paint lifted - that was a professionally done job, so what hope do we have - I found that very disappointing!

I painted a floor when I worked for a previous employer with Dulux floor paint from memory. The floor had forklifts constantly all over it as well as a lot of footfall. Held up well. Pretty expensive though. 

Make sure you use the correct primer/sealer on the concrete before the paint. I used watered down PVA and that was wrong. It didn't do a good job of sealing the concrete, and the paint peels up under tyres and chips off fairly easily if you're not super careful. I've got some offcuts of kitchen lino which the car parks on when there isn't other junk in the way. Probably wouldn't have been that much more expensive to use cheap lino than to have painted it!

saw one of those "Garage hunters" type programs on the telly and one guy had his garage floor tiled with big white tiles. Wonder how expensive that would be and would it be better than paint?

[clicky click] It would be lots, really really lots. £$£$£

Edited by Aspman

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/03/2017 at 20:40, Bud said:

Paint? Surely one has the garage carpeted 

Last House I had with a garage ,the floor had off cuts down. certainly made the place cosier to use as a workshop, but it was too narrow to work on a car  ,unless the car was half in ,and that defeated the carpet.