How long will you keep your MKIII for

So I have had my Fabia for 16 months and am just about to hit 30k km next week.  This car has been fantastic, cheap to run and faultless.  How long are you planning on keeping your for?   Are these cars going fall apart rapidly? How long is the dsg going to last for?

i'm in two minds to either hold onto it and keep it or purchase a new Fabia at the end of this year.   

Am waiting for the Kodiaq to arrive later in the year too but may wait for the RS.

If I can afford it I'd like to get a new one at the end of my PCP with this one,although like you I think it's an excellent car. I'll see what the deals are like in a year or so's time.

• Like 1

I usually change 18 months in 

Not sure if another fabia will be on the drive 

If i do it will be a special order rather than off the shelf car as there is a few options i would have wanted 

Hopefully by then it will have had a few minutes or revisions mid life 

My intention for the Fabia was to keep it until the end of the PCP but beginning to really like this car now, getting used to its quirks and personality, even the wife can't help but like it.

I have a while to go before I'm handing it back but new tax laws in April 2017 will mean a jump from my current £20 to £140 if I buy a new Fabia, so may be one good reason to keep it a little bit longer if it stays reliable. 

• Like 1

I think it's the potential for it to go wrong out of warranty that puts me off,plus if I wait too long it's less of a deposit towards my next car.

This is the first brand new car I've ever owned and it's been a great experience up to now.

I guess I'll look at all my options sensibly and objectively when the time comes.

Have the VW Group no faith in the Euro 6 1.2TSI engines they produced and are now dropping for 1.0TSI, 

and what is the longevity of the Euro 6 1.4TDI if the coolant that has been getting used for years in various engines is causing issues with water pumps?

20 minutes ago, RickW said:

I think it's the potential for it to go wrong out of warranty that puts me off,

Today's techy cars can be a joy to drive but cost arm and leg to repair outside of warranty. However Skoda offers a 2 year extension for £305 which isn't too pricey, but around 2.5-3 years into ownership, tyres, brakes, clutch and other bits might be due replacements, to the point that it could be financially better to trade-in. 

• Like 1

Skoda did a 2 year extension when a car was first registered, then the Skoda Approved Warranty for 2 years with Car Care Plan ltd.

They have been doing the Skoda Extended Warranty for 12 month periods, 

So is the 2 Year Extended Warranty when the Manufacturers Warranty expires still on offer as well?

The car is booked in next week for its second service (2 yrs old) and have done 12.5k. Bought the car outright on the basis it might "see me out". Hoped it would last a few years but after reading some of these posts I might ask if the 2 year extended warranty is still available and if it is change it at the end of 5 years. Joe

So far I will have paid for 2 services, replaced a tyre damaged by a large screw and repair to a grazed front bumper, my fault, no other car involved.

Just approaching 28k miles and booked in for third service.  So far its has proved to be an excellent car - good fuel economy coupled with adequate power and (in estate form) enough space for everything I need.  I bought outright on the strength of two previous Fabias (Mk1 and a Mk2) and shall be keeping this one for the foreseeable future.

I went for a manual diesel Octavia that's just under 3yrs old and 15k miles. Hope it'll last me 10yrs! My last car is 16yrs old and 195k miles.

If you're worried about mechanicals failing on a 3yr old car you can get a warranty that also covers wear and tear.

Heard them mentioned in a car for sale add, only had a brief look last night on the web and got a couple of quotes. Just Google it and you'll find some. I started by looking at https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.money.co.uk/warranty-insurance/parts-and-labour-warranty.htm&ved=0ahUKEwjDm8bX8-nSAhVqJMAKHdS1DcUQFgg9MAA&usg=AFQjCNHFJWwPsfF46wSUFlumCUMttRyvdg&sig2=0A-dFkUw0Su7-J_hHq22HA

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

^^^ Any links please to these Warranties that cover Wear & Tear?

Have used Warranty Direct for several years with my old Skoda Fabia 1.9 tdi estate according to my independent garage who serviced my car for 9 years they paid out for repairs that most other warranty firms would have rejected on the grounds of wear and tear. The only time I got caught out was when I had to get both rear calipers replaced at the same time they classed each one as a separate claim. They paid out for a seized water pump which damaged the timing belt fortunately the engine was ok Joe

Good if they do that after a Diagnosis the Customer / Policy holder pays for and then the  Report supports the Warranty Claim.

I was more thinking on, Who does an Extended or Manufactures Warranty that does not have Wear & Tear as being an Exclusion in the T&C's ?,  rather than one where you might get lucky. 

http://skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf 

Edited by Awayoffski

I have had the Fabia for 2yrs with 22,300 miles showing, considered the estate version, but have beenoffered a "good deal" on a Rapid 1.2 [110] SEL with "factory options" but with NO heated seats !! In order to beat the April road tax hike have decided to go for the "66" plate Rapid with delivery mileage (15 miles) & get after market seats fitted for next winter ! There is 1 outstanding service owed on the plan, but it goes with the car & NOT the owner & NO refund/rebate! !

Edited by BACUPIAN
Missed what version

Mine will be going at the end of the PCP, but that's because I'll be looking at something a bit fancier by then, and I will likely be moving away from the UK anyway around then. My dad has expressed interest in buying the car at the end of the PCP for himself though- he'll be retiring, and he'll want a small cheap runaround which the Fabia fits perfectly. Getting rid of it will be nothing to do with the car itself, only that it will not be meeting my requirements by then! 

On 22/03/2017 at 12:16, Awayoffski said:

Good if they do that after a Diagnosis the Customer / Policy holder pays for and then the  Report supports the Warranty Claim.

I was more thinking on, Who does an Extended or Manufactures Warranty that does not have Wear & Tear as being an Exclusion in the T&C's ?,  rather than one where you might get lucky. 

http://skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf 

Well, I too have had the Warranty Direct policy on my first Skoda Estate and it does cover wear and tear items if you buy the level of cover that stipulates that. And there are several different levels of cover you can buy. The basic policy does not cover wear and tear in any form. The T's & C's list it all very clearly. But if you buy the right level of cover, then for example, if your brakes fail an MOT they will replace whatever is needed, no questions asked. There are some limits on some items where you may not get the full value paid out if the item is very worn/or nearly completely worn out but they will pay something towards it. Warranty Direct are certainly one of the very best suppliers of warranties to the after market customer (non manufacturer warranty) and is in many respects as good if not better than many manufacturers warranties.

I intend to keep my Fabia Mk3 1.2 TSI 110ps DSG hatch for probably 10 years. The engines are robust and so is the DSG unit. It's only £20 per year tax too. I won't have the need to change now that I've taken early retirement and both the wife and me love the car. 

I intend running our recently bought 2016 1.2 estate for 10 years, I expect it to see me out. My previous car a 1.4 Fiesta lasted 10+ years and 110k with minimal expense. If the Fabia lasts as long and is just as reliable I shall be well pleased.

• Like 1