Wheel hop

Thanks for the replies much appreciated and good to know I'm not alone and it's 'normal' so to speak. Very annoying though and will have to be more careful in future 

Hi. Had the same problem. Installed a SPULEN Dog Bone Engine Mount Insert Kit and it made a massive difference to launch, reduced wheel spin and the banging. Incredible that such a minor and inexpensive mod can have such an impact. Unfortunately, the vibration at idle even after a settling in period drove me insane so removed it.... It's a family car afterall. For sale (in NZ) if anyone wants to give it a bash. 5 minute install.

544822290.jpg

11 hours ago, savvy5 said:

Hi. Had the same problem. Installed a SPULEN Dog Bone Engine Mount Insert Kit and it made a massive difference to launch, reduced wheel spin and the banging. Incredible that such a minor and inexpensive mod can have such an impact. Unfortunately, the vibration at idle even after a settling in period drove me insane so removed it.... It's a family car afterall. For sale (in NZ) if anyone wants to give it a bash. 5 minute install.

This is the one you want...

http://store.blackforestindustries.com/bfimk7toarmi.html

BFI made a compromise one due to the exact feedback you've posted. You've got the equivalent of their stage2 mount insert.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Filternz said:

This is the one you want...

http://store.blackforestindustries.com/bfimk7toarmi.html

BFI made a compromise one due to the exact feedback you've posted. You've got the equivalent of their stage2 mount insert.

Thanks for the info. Looks like a good compromise. Will sell mine and give that one a whirl I think. Cheers

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2017 at 13:31, savvy5 said:

Thanks for the info. Looks like a good compromise. Will sell mine and give that one a whirl I think. Cheers

Hey - did you ever get round to trying the other insert? If there is one around which will offer the benefits without the added noise and vibration, I am well keen!

54 minutes ago, Item said:

Hey - did you ever get round to trying the other insert? If there is one around which will offer the benefits without the added noise and vibration, I am well keen!

Hey mate, no not yet. Literally just managed to sell the other one so will start looking to the next mod now. The Spulen mount put me off a bit to be honest so the next mod is likely to be more aesthetic. Keen on some spacers but unsure if the LVV is worth the hassle - have you been on that journey?

Hi! +1 one here for wheel hop driving me nuts. I plan to fit a dog bone bush insert such as Powerflex. I haven't found any threads covering it for the Octavia MkIII. Has anyone tried it? How bad are the negative changes, does it really vibratre that hard? My concern is that it may not be just the comfort that has to suffer but also various body parts that will take more stress than they should. Then again, the prospect of dammaging the transmission is not that great either so I would opt for the modification. Any experiences? 

Just read through this whole thread with a little amusement.

Yes, it makes you jump out of your skin when it happens, and yes, there is a concern for damage but...

...change your driving style just a little and it won't happen!

Also, thought I'd throw it out there...this isn't unique to the vRS, or to the Octavia, or to Skoda or any other car in the VW group. I've managed wheel hop in every car I've ever owned! Low powered, high powered, super high powered, front drive, rear drive, the lot.

As others have said, it may be possible to lessen it through mechanics, but suggesting it should be "fixed" by the manufacturer is a stretch!

On 7/28/2017 at 15:23, savvy5 said:

Hey mate, no not yet. Literally just managed to sell the other one so will start looking to the next mod now. The Spulen mount put me off a bit to be honest so the next mod is likely to be more aesthetic. Keen on some spacers but unsure if the LVV is worth the hassle - have you been on that journey?

Nope - my VRS is still factory fresh!

Wanted the warranty to run out a little more before doing anything to it, but on the list are:

1. Chip-tune
  2. Possible spring upgrade
  3. Maybe spacers?
  4. Mount mod to improve the hop!

Thing is, although looks-wise it sits a little high, it means I get in and out of Kiwi driveways where the wife's Mazda always scrapes, so not sure if I want to mess with that or not!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've just bought a VRS 230 estate and this is my biggest grip about the car. It only really happens for me when the road's greasy or wet. I'd be interested in any bolt on remedies. Are there any UK product equivalents of that Black Forest Industries part?

On 02/10/2017 at 14:20, 230Meteor said:

I've just bought a VRS 230 estate and this is my biggest grip about the car. It only really happens for me when the road's greasy or wet. I'd be interested in any bolt on remedies. Are there any UK product equivalents of that Black Forest Industries part?

Look on awesome gti, they have a couple of different brands for the job.

Launch control takes care of the banging on take off.

launch control on tdi vrs activated by;

switch off traction control

put DSG into sport mode

left foot on brake pedal

take engine to 2.5k rpm

release brake and hold throttle until 3d gear reached then plant it.

result - fast takeoff no wheel spin or axle tramp

^^^ No use whatsoever if you are just driving along going through traffic lights, coming off of circles and proceeding in an orderly manner and not being involved in a traffic light grand prix and being left standing by nissan micras while you do a 'launch'.

My RS came with Bridgestone Potenza summer tyres. I've read decent reviews of those tyres, they seem to be one of the top Bridgestone models and I've been always a happy Bridgestone user, but the grip on wet is really crap. Since the winter is coming I've fitted new Pirelli SottoZero 3 on the car and... boy, it's a different beast now! Even on a wet and greasy road I very rarely encounter any banging or other symptoms, it just blasts forward whenever I need it. The tyres have much bigger effect than I expected on the issue.

I wonder if the Bridgestones just need warmer temperatures and are simply not good on wet, or should I consider buying another set for summer too.

I agree totally with Mati on the subject of tyres: I switched from the Potenzas to Goodyear Eagle F1's and, after a very wet week in Snowdonia, i feel the overall grip is better. They do seem to be a bit noisier but maybe that's due to the extra tread on the new tyres. However, I do think that the wheel hop issue becomes  easier to avoid once you get used to the available power and managing delivery to the driving wheels as has been mentioned previously in this post. I owned a 4x4 previously which could get away like the proverbial s... off a shovel but now I've had the VRS for a while I'm more than happy with it's "launch" potential..