Linear acceleration mod AKA free tuning ;) - VCDS/OBDeleven

I take 0 credit for this one - just making sure it gets the attention it deserves, since it might be lost on this thread

This mod under, from my brief tests, is the equivalent of enabling the sport button for those who do NOT have a sport button.

At least on my car (which does not have a sport button) it made the steering sharper and a bit heavier (which I like, because it is more precise) and made the throttle response much sharper, almost like the car had been tuned - there is a clear difference in acceleration, with the power being available much earlier on.

I strongly recommend trying this - just post your comments and results under ;)

FB_IMG_1491757429114.jpg

• Like 3

My MY14 1.6TDI Elegance appears to be lucky to have the Mode button

Eco - Didn't see the point and Fuel Eco was no better in my experience

Normal - My current driving mode

Sport - Tried and liked it but the steering can be sometimes heavy'ish in traffic or car parks

Custom - not tried, but guess could make it Sport Engine and Normal Steering

although I don't like the button lit up when not in Normal when the mode is displayed on the head unit (Amunsdsmen)

anyone had experience with Fuel economy between Normal & Sport

There is no fuel economy difference between ECO, Normal & Sport unless you change the way you drive.

All the driver profile does is change the pedal mapping making it more or less aggressive.

In all modes, if you put your foot to the floor, the power/torque will be the same.

• Like 1

Tested and works! :)

Mine is a MY14 TDI 2.0 with DSG and MODE button.

My steering was in 'sport' mode but after coding I changed it back to 'normal'. Now it's too heavy in 'sport'. With the new coding 'normal' mode more or less equals to 'sport'.

Throttle response is far better with the mod, that's the point for me. I will have to adjust my driving style as it's easy to exceed the speed limit (especially in city) in my experience.

The new coding also helps reducing the DSG hesitation.

I am really happy with the result, thanks for sharing! :beer::beer::beer:

Coding generated some fault codes (from memory: on modules 01, 03 and 10) but I have managed to clear them and they didn't come back.

I have no idea how this coding changes the throttle response but it works...

Edited by aki78
  • Like 2

How can you not have a sport mode, OP ?

Its a TSI vRS you should have a mode button that lets you select "Sport". Sounds like this mod is for cars without the Mode button.

27 minutes ago, vRSAnt said:

Its a TSI vRS you should have a mode button that lets you select "Sport". Sounds like this mod is for cars without the Mode button.

In some markets the sport button was an optional extra, even on the vRS

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vRSAnt said:

Most manual cars don't have it - and it is strongly market dependent.

• Like 1

Hi

I did it on my my14 vrs with mod button, 

Trottle response are awesome, its a little to much when you activate sport mode, 

But in normal its perfect, not the same delay as before.

• Like 1

just before i change mine is this normal that i got this response from the controller. I dont want to mess anything up. 

This appears to be an uninitialised control module valid WSC/importer/Equipment data may be required 
click yes to use default values of 12345/123/12345
Click no for vcds to try the values currently in the module
click cancel to go back and manually edit the values 

Sorry to be a pain on this subject but mine was set to incremental as standard so i set it to direct. As i did this and changed over i got a ping sound from the display and the ASR flashed up in the maxi dot then the TPMS came up alternatively. I must admit i panicked a bit and went back to how it was before and the lights went out. Anyone else get the same. Mines a MY2016.Im just wondering if these pinged up as the controller was reseting itself after soft reset as I take it they are all part of that controller. 

Edited by arnold

49 minutes ago, arnold said:

Sorry to be a pain on this subject but mine was set to incremental as standard so i set it to direct. As i did this and changed over i got a ping sound from the display and the ASR flashed up in the maxi dot then the TPMS came up alternatively. I must admit i panicked a bit and went back to how it was before and the lights went out. Anyone else get the same. Mines a MY2016.Im just wondering if these pinged up as the controller was reseting itself after soft reset as I take it they are all part of that controller. 

Yep, I also had errors on dash when I pressed the 'Do It!' button. :)

I used the Autoscan function in VCDS to check which modules have fault codes. Then I tried clearing them with the 'Clear all DTCs' function but it was only partial success.

Some modules still had DTCs afterwards so I entered the modules one by one and cleared them. It worked. :)

After a short testdrive I verified it again and nothing came back.

Probably the fault codes will disappear after a while though but it's better to check!

The complete coding looks like this:

44 module (steering assist)

Security access: 19249

Adaptations

Select channel: 'Driving profile switchover'

Change from 'Incremental: controlled over time' to 'Direct: controlled over threshold value'

Edited by aki78
  • Like 2

Just saying that I just came back from a long drive with my car and I simply love what this mod has done for the driveability in my car in particular.

More on the topic, I did not get any errors whatsoever, so, for sure, the "VRS" button (which I don't have...) does play a part in this.

After all of you mentioned it, I went to scan for errors and there was nothing there.

...but I tried it out of curiosity and so should all of you - you can always revert it back.

For me, the car drives as I like when this mystical setting is changed. I guess this "drive profile" touches on quite a lot of different settings - I spotted the harder steering and sharper throttle response, but there might be more.

If I have patience and time, I will actually do some more scientific tests and actually clock and measure acceleration with and without the mod :)

I have the vrs button so you maybe right. I think I will still go with a pedal box as my vehicle has been remapped and I'm not convinced. But glad this is working for some. 

For the record, 0-100km/h, the time is the same with or without the mod...

I managed a 6.857 without the mod and an actually slower 6.9 with it, but I put it down to probably the mod causing more wheel spin and making it harder to launch.

Would be cool to measure launched times, for instance 50-160km/h, but roads and Finnish rules don't allow me to do so ;)

Either way, mod stays on...

- I got some video footage, but I don't think I will bother with editing it, since the results were same.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2017 at 07:31, themanwithnoaim said:

... is not the problem, its the software engineer whom thinks they know better than the driver/owner how the throttle should work

You think driving characteristics such as this are decided by a lone software engineer? 

• 3 weeks later...

On a MY2016, 1.6 TDI, 110hp this setting has no apparent effect.

I've driven the car about 500 km and did not notice any improvement.

Also, setting it and resetting it back did not cause any faults.

18 hours ago, ravest said:

On a MY2016, 1.6 TDI, 110hp this setting has no apparent effect.

I've driven the car about 500 km and did not notice any improvement.

Also, setting it and resetting it back did not cause any faults.

Yeah, I can pretty much confirm this conclusion. I believe 1.6TDI 110HP has a pretty "jumpy" engine to start with (torque kicks in much earlier then on 105Hp variant) and the effect of this linear mod is somehow hidden by it.