EA189 Emissions Update - my experience

pinkpanther

My company car 1.6tdi Greenline has gone for its first MOT today, and the fix is to be applied at the same time. I wouldn't do it to my own car, but have no choice here as it has to be maintained to Skodas recommendations with updates and recalls done. Fortunately it goes back to the lease company in under 3 weeks.

I was under the impression that there wasn't a 1.6 fix yet though? Certainly not being chased to get my wifes fabia 1.6tdi done.

Be interesting to see what difference it makes to what has been a very smooth driving car. (My previous Yeti 2.0tdi, 110ps 10 reg used to have a huge flat spot in top gear at 40mph, if you tried to accelerate without changing down!)

41 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

My company car 1.6tdi Greenline has gone for its first MOT today, and the fix is to be applied at the same time. I wouldn't do it to my own car, but have no choice here as it has to be maintained to Skodas recommendations with updates and recalls done. Fortunately it goes back to the lease company in under 3 weeks.

I was under the impression that there wasn't a 1.6 fix yet though? Certainly not being chased to get my wifes fabia 1.6tdi done.

Be interesting to see what difference it makes to what has been a very smooth driving car. (My previous Yeti 2.0tdi, 110ps 10 reg used to have a huge flat spot in top gear at 40mph, if you tried to accelerate without changing down!)

Please take the time to update us lowly 1.6 Greenline owners regarding this. I was also under the impression that no "fix" had been rolled out for our engines.

Thanks

It's gone to Skoda's DM Keith's and the second sheet I had to sign for works required was about an emissions update fix.

It could some other update though.

And why are Greenlines lowly! It's been an excellent car.

Must admit I am looking forward to getting my own Yeti 150dsg sel drive in 19 days though. No more company cars for me with restrictions on choice.

Apparently parked in Grimsby until nearer required delivery date.

Despite all the bad press I understand these Euro 6 cars are about the lowest polluting ever made, with negligible  nox output, virtually no particulates and low co2.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^  Just adjusted my crdt2 to prog 3, its like driving a different car, much smoother, will keep an eye on fuel consumption though!

Edited by Frenchtone

Post fix update. Have been pottering around central London since getting car back. Wife just set off to go to Dorset, halfway down Euston Rd engine management failure, back to limp mode. Stopped restarted engine driving back to office DPF regen starts limp mode clears and has now turned round to go to Dorset. I used to have trouble free motoring. now I do not have a clue what is going on. No DPF warning prior to shut down

Definitely had the fix done today, confirmed by driver who brought it back, so Skoda are now doing 1.6tdis which go in for another reason. I suppose the invitation letters will now start to arrive for my wifes fabia.

Letter to owner with all sort of well worded future guarantees re egr and pdf for cars under 160k miles

I got my letter today, still not minded to bother with the "fix", since the car is perfectably drivable as is, why risk it?

And from previous exp with Skoda and their dealers, I cannot/will not  trust them an inch.

mth

Really useful feedback from everyone on this thread. Is there anyone out there who has had the fix applied, or received the letter, for the DSG Yetis? I'm thinking about getting a used DSG but would like to know before I start looking if dealer cars with DSG have been patched yet. Thanks. 

14 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Definitely had the fix done today, confirmed by driver who brought it back, so Skoda are now doing 1.6tdis which go in for another reason. I suppose the invitation letters will now start to arrive for my wifes fabia.

Letter to owner with all sort of well worded future guarantees re egr and pdf for cars under 160k miles

BY that I take it well=carefully "weasel" worded?

cheers

mth

Oops, I had intended to ask, is there not, or have I missed an overweening thread/topic re these emissions "fixes", or does each seperate model simply get its own thread within each  individual model forum?

Edited by marcusthehat

Received another letter from skoda a couple of weeks ago advising to get the fix done but this time in red like a final demand and an option to contact  them . I did and offered to have the fix done by them if they could warranty their work and there would be no adverse effects to the emissions system on the car when fixed and warranty it for another 3years if they were that confident in the fix.......as yet no reply...................... but I have read since there is soon to be a fix mk 2 to the fix mk1 ,I wonder why.?

• Like 1

I am in the process of wording a reply letter to Duncan Movassaghi, briefly itimizing our mostly negative Skoda ownership experience, both in respect of their dishonest denials re the 2010 DSG issues, and overall v poor dealership experiences(blatent lying on the part of 2 different NI Skoda franschised dealers, once re DSG,  by the 1st dealer, then in month 59, of a 5 year warranty, re EGR issues with the second dealer, which  took 3 visits to get issue sorted, despite intermittent warning lights and limp mode, which said dealer denied were logged within the system, despite my printout, of the logged faults, obtained by a very competent Indy, before my visit!)

As in very poor, both absolutly and especially when  compared to our daughters (bought new Yaris ) Toyota and sons(bought new I20)  Hyaundai experiences.

Both cars bought after our initial poor Skoda experience.

That is not to say I would not buy another Skoda/VAG car, since I am open minded and aware that "every dog has its day", i.e. marque/brand quality varying with time and management across all brands.

cheers

mth

Edited by marcusthehat
  • Like 1

Munrorunner

Re the above letter,

Absolutly excellent, therefore, would you mind if I or anyone else?

used this same letter in response to Skoda communications about the "23R6 EA 189 NOx emissions" service action.

regards

marcus

• Like 1

10 hours ago, marcusthehat said:

Munrorunner

Re the above letter,

Absolutly excellent, therefore, would you mind if I or anyone else?

used this same letter in response to Skoda communications about the "23R6 EA 189 NOx emissions" service action.

regards

marcus

Sure, of course. Obviously, it's just my personal view of things and not a lawyer water tight letter!

Also found this today, of interest a test from earlier this year that included a Yeti:

http://teknikensvarld.se/dieselgate-volkswagen-cars-loses-power-after-fix-456111/

They are a highly reputable motor industry publication and their results reflect the test that Autocar carried out. 

On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 13:33, kenfowler3966 said:

Blimey Ken, in mine I can't drop much below 50 in top and only then on a flat road and easy on the throttle.

Perhaps that is the difference between the unfixed Euro 5 and Euro 6 like mine? 50 is about 1500 rpm and whilst there is no flat spot as such there is little acceleration. I either have to very gently accelerate to 2000 rpm when the power kicks in or if someone is up my chuff change down to fourth.

I had to smile at the comment in the piece linked to saying that modern diesels produce lots of torque. Max. torque has increased but you have rev them a lot more to get it. I've even stalled my Yeti a couple of times which would have been impossible years ago. 

My 2010 yeti 2.0 110ps stalled all the time when I first had it. I had to learn to put enough engine revs when trying a quick move off, so that as the revs drop when the clutch bites it does not go below the cut off speed. The engine isn't stalling it is being shut down to protect it.

In the 2014 Euro 5 greenline I can let the clutch up slowly when stationary and on a reasonably flat road, without touching the accelerator, and it will move off and drive along at tickover speed at about 3 to 4mph, useful in near stationary traffic to trickle along without stopping and starting all the time.

I can just about get into top gear in a 30 limit and cruise along on the flat, but need to change down to accelerate quickly or climb a hill.

Edited by kenfowler3966

Ken,

What do you mean by this statment "The engine isn't stalling it is being shut down to protect it.", as in why would the engine management deliberately drop the engine revs as it comes under load?

I understand the software in our 2010 DSG artifically(and by that I mean ignores the actual throttle pentiometer demands) to prevent the engine revs rising if the clutch pack is not fully engaged, but a software glitch then causes the transmission to engage neutral, despite my attempts to engage the clutch pack at low revs so as to creep while delicately manouvering.

But-Why would it do this with a traditional manually operated dry clutch, as in your Yeti Greenline?

cheers

mth

I was specifically talking about my first car, not been an issue in the Greenline as I knew how to drive it. (Still stalled a few times though)

I understand if you try to move away and don't have enough throttle and hence revs and then let the clutch up too quickly the engine revs will drop as load is applied.

If the revs drop to about 850 or so the engine just stops to protect itself.

Oh! I misunderstood, so as in the engine simply *stalls, therefore now understood.

*Whether physically overloaded or killed/shutdown by protective smart electronics for the same reason.

cheers

mth

Edited by marcusthehat

What exactly would be stopping them from getting the VW Group into the courts in some jurisdiction considering that the Emissions Scandal broke in September 2015 and USA proceedings have gone on at a pace, and the VW Group made certain admissions to European Governments and even agreed on compensating the UK's HMRC because of lost Duties & Taxes from false Co2 g/km etc.

Proof of loss to owners might just be the issue if there are any losses.

• Like 1