VRS MK 3 Dumped Oil

24 minutes ago, Christine_VRS said:

Hi Everyone, I have the car back! A bus journey in the Outer Hebrides, and then a horrendous 60 mile drive in snow and sleet, I am back on The Isle of Harris. I spoke to the sales rep who I dealt with when buying the car, and he will ring me tomorrow. The garage in Stornaway, charged me £120, which I paid, so I need to get that refunded. I am inclined to insist on a full check of the car when I get back home, would this be unreasonable? Or what do others suggest? I am not looking to 'cash in' on this, I just want peace of mind that its reliable.

Wish me luck for my 720 mile drive back to Brighton tomorrow night!

Christine

Id definitely want it checked for engine damage.

But id want it done independently too.

We had a spat of VAG group "sump plugs" falling out at work (halfords autocentre's) and it was nation wide (both petrol and diesel), it's now company policy to fit new sump plugs and torque up to 25nm's, this is then signed on the job card by the technicain who carried out the service and by a quality controller (of which i am one).

It was found  to be the threads in the plugs getting damaged as they were removed, when refitted they would not torque up properly and subsequently fall out.

Acouple of the local dealers by us are now doing the same thing as it has happened to them.

Not come across the plastic type plugs yet.

16 minutes ago, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

That's why the plugs should be replaced as part of the service. 

12 years in, all with VW Group, thousands of services done - never had a sump plug fall out or leak.

15 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

It should have always been company policy to fit new sump plugs. 

The fact that you were not is why many have a policy of never darkening a Halford Service Centres door.

I always replace sump plugs on every service i do, my manager used to go mad  when i handed in my job card during service as every one said "new sump plug required" that every service i did not just VAG group cars. Company policy is VAG group vehicles only for new sump plugs. It's just a small thing but it stops vehicle's dropping there oil through bad workmanship. Our head office has started listening to us workers and are changing things slowly, the quality of work is starting to rise but will take time.

But alas i mostly do MOT testing now, and carry out quality control. 

Edited by Ju1ian1001

22 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

FORD Owners need to know this before having Oil & Filter changed at a Halfords Autocentre.

Maybe Autocar, Whatcar, Autoexpress, AA, RAC etc can pick up on it and let the wider public know.

even ford dealers don't replace sump plugs, they replace the copper sealing rings and torque up. To be honest if the sump plug torque's up properly it should nut fall out, i just replace because i always have since i was an apprentice.

A lot of manufacturer dealers don't replace. 

Why tell the wider public, dealers have to earn profits same as we do

the thing is we get alot of technical service info from the manufactures and they tend to tells us of changes in service changes or repair recalls and such before the public know of it, so if the want us to renew sump plugs then the change will be made, indeed it was VAG group who told our head office to renew all sump plugs regardless if damaged or not.

The AA use Halfords auto centre for a lot of their warranty work so we must do something right.

We carry out what the manufactures tell us to change or service, so our work meets their requirements, even down to correct oil spec, brake fluid spec, and coolant spec. 

Edited by Ju1ian1001

You see that 'Damaged or not' bit is what is so wrong with the whole thing.

There are Ford Dealerships that seem to not learn from issues with some engines sumps and threads, or employees that do not.

As to the Quality Controllers employed by the Company you work for, maybe those controlling of their quality needs sorting out, 

the standard nationwide is questionable.

2 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

You see that 'Damaged or not' bit is what is so wrong with the whole thing.

There are Ford Dealerships that seem to not learn from issues with some engines sumps and threads, or employees that do not.

As to the Quality Controllers employed by the Company you work for, maybe those controlling of their quality needs sorting out, 

the standard nationwide is questionable.

That is why we now go on a course to be a quality controller now, halfords auto centre are aware of this and brought the course in, so all depots have a much improved quality. It's is getting better nationwide but it won't happen overnight.

As for manufacturer dealers, well i've been there, done that and got the T-shirt, and won't do it again, would  never recommend taking a car to a dealer. The dealer networks never learn form things like this, it gets brushed under the carpet.   

The plastic plug on the tsi is fine.  its impossible to misthread, it goes in with only about 3/4 of a turn and snaps/clicks into position securely.  a 2 pence coin makes the perfect tool to remove and refit.

15 minutes ago, neiln said:

The plastic plug on the tsi is fine.  its impossible to misthread, it goes in with only about 3/4 of a turn and snaps/clicks into position securely.  a 2 pence coin makes the perfect tool to remove and refit.

Does the MK octy have the plastic type or metal type?

If anyone ever asks if Halfords Autocentres are worth using because they are a National Company & the AA use them and their work is guaranteed just refer them to this thread.

Obviously mistakes happen and what is important is how a National Company that the AA use deals with them.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/407608-halfords-broke-my-roomster 

Worse than 'Kerb Side Auto's'....

Finding a  good competent mechanic you can trust is as rare as hen's teeth. When you find them, stick with them!  That's why I prefer to do what I can myself.

I don't think dealer mechanical service is particular good either at a lot of places.  They seem to be much more geared around selling cars and finance.  Clearly there are some decent places but you have to search them out.   Remember though, in context, in this thread a 2 year old car has been sold by a Skoda dealer with a vehicle assurance check and the sump plug falls out (edit: 3 weeks later) and risks catastophic engine damage and danger to the operator.  Hardly a resounding endorsement.

I don't think it is fair to turn it on its head into an anti-halfords thread... which are already populated from their on misadventures. 

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

The Halfords thing is a 'Buyer Beware' but then so is Skoda / VW Approved cars a Buyer Beware Warning, 

because you do not know who last serviced a car, or any history not on the System from Servicing & Maintenance or DIY Servicing etc.

Lots like to have an 'Interim Oil Service' done between Variable Services / Fleet / Lease Servicing & errors can happen...

Skoda Approved Used cars are supposedly sold with 'Workshop Safety Checks by a qualified technician', not necessarily Serviced or any Engine under Covers removed or sump plugs checked.

If no Service is due by Service Schedule / Guidelines or Overdue or nearly Due then no guarantee any servicing is done, 

even Service Campaigns can be missed or Updates not carried out, and the vehicle is not returned to factory settings, so various things like Brake / Steering Assist can be at different settings, even Remaps on the ECU.

http://skoda.co.uk/used-cars 

http://sytner.co.uk/skoda/used-offers/why-choose-skoda-approved-used 

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

I'd be staggered if the customer service manager wasn't in touch with an offer of realistic compensation, such as a free service , peace of mind check of vehicle. After all, the dealership's reputation and potential customer retention must be worth more than a can of oil and a filter... Hopefully the return leg will be trouble-free. 

Don't wish to seem unsympathetic but drama or what? Sign of the times I guess, cause things work a lot better than they used to, so when something goes wrong nowadays it's a major catastrophe!

The oil light came on as advertised, you stopped immediately? You now have a problem that needs sorting out. Teams of mechanics parachuting in or arriving by helicopters will not happen. Your driving in a remote area 55 degrees north of the equator and your surprised it's snowing/sleeting in April. Oh and you left home on a long journey without your breakdown details! Ever heard of the 7P's? It's life, you have to sort things out sometimes.........**** happens!

You've wound yourself up over the drive back home, put yourself in the garages or Skoda UK's position when they receive the call from you. What are you expecting them to do realistically? Chauffeur, first class travel, someone to drive it back for you. Think of the alternatives. You don't want to drive the car back until it's had an inspection, so how do you get back? And then get the car back when it's been inspected! Do you want someone driving you car 700+ miles? Back of a low loader, you're the account manager for Skoda UK, do you authorise that expense or take the risk that the engine will fail on the drive back? I know how that will play out! You drive the car back and it fails, so that's why you have a warranty, if Skoda say drive it, drive it! They'll pay if it goes wrong, again that's why you have the warranty. Inconvenient, if it does but that's life!

Sounds like the sump plug wasn't tight. Car on a long run, engine nicely warm and the plugs fallen out. Speaking from experience if you've stopped asap then it won't be a problem, there will have been enough oil coating the engine for it to be ok. Had a jet engine once where the mechanic failed to fasten the oil filler cap, light came on when it lost its oil, shut it down. When we got back, (we had two engines!) as we needed to go again, the mechanics checked it over by spinning the engine manually and checking for "any roughness" in the main bearings, filled it up with oil and off we went! Mind there was a war on! Still when we finally got back they sampled the oil for bits of engine and found nothing. The engine was still attached to the airframe 6 months later working fine!

Hope you enjoyed your time away!

Remember the Titanic was brand new!

ATB

Skye or Lewis & Harris is not remote from Skye or Harris or other near places, not the furthest flung of places, and there is even a bridge to Skye so no Ferry required, but you can use one if you want.

(Stornoway a bit north on the Isle of Lewis, Harris being the southern part.)

'Skoda Assist',

there to get a Qualified Technician to you, recovery of the vehicle to a repairer if not repairable.

Vehicle / Passengers onward travel,  vehicle recovery, suitable vehicle to get on with work / leisure,  that is what one can expect, 

even in Scotland which is in the UK. 

PS.

AA Recovery might well be 'Relay',

because a low loader will not be driving 700 miles down and 700 miles back.

Skoda / VW UK might well have it transported to a Main Dealership where a disabled vehicle travels south with other vehicles on a transporter if not repairable before the Owner / Driver has to travel.

Hopefully all is well with the OP,  no Mobile Reception can really be a PITA as many get to know when 'Breakdowns happen', 

communications being important, and you do not need to be 'out in the wilds' to have no Mobile Reception or Internet in the UK.

Edited by Awayoffski

Yes, that is what is provided with the car so that is what they should expect, I agree.

In response to Banksie, I just think the OP was just a bit shocked.  Things can happen but for such a basic fundamental thing, it is a bit shocking as the consequence can be severe.  And quite unexpected on a near new, checked vehicle, recently supplied vehicle. But things do happen. Edit: but standing at the roadside with a pool of oil in a remote place, she wasn't aware of the extent or what the issue was either....

The OP doesn't seem to be making a song and dance about it, she has asked what she ought to do now.  It is probably us contributors who add to this and turn it into a thread of their own, me included.

Personally, on a near new car I don't very much like the thought of the car even running for even an insiginificant time without oil pressure.  But what advice to give here? 

• Firstly, reimbursement for any costs and repair (check they have used compliant oil too VW502.00 or 504.00 to prevent complications later on);
  • Secondly, maybe there is a goodwill offer for the inconvenience and stress and altered plans but the OP has said they are not interested in profiting so doesn't seem to be her primary worry. I would still document the whole situation and send it in so it is on record both at dealer and Skoda UK;
  • Vehicle checks; that is a hard one in my mind, I can't think of much other than an oil and filter inspection, maybe oil analysis. The lack of oil, if it has done anything, will affect engine internals and any once over on running the vehicle assurance checklists again when she gets back in an attempt to appease the situation will not resolve that.
  • The 700+ mile return trip will be a good soak test.
  • She ought to be able to rely on the remaining warranty and consumer rights from the dealer who sold to her for some time.

If the OP is desperately unhappy then there maybe a right to return the vehicle, for them to supply another similar, either under their exchange terms or under consumer rights, but it is probably unnecessary....

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

I have always serviced my cars and this one is the first I bought new so had to have it dealer serviced to keep the warranty.

First service at my local Skoda dealer £149 

Three weeks later, the under tray fell off.......

Needless to say the car went back for full inspection including sump plug and fully documented in case the sump plug fell out.

1 hour ago, TheClient said:

Yes, that is what is provided with the car so that is what they should expect, I agree.

In response to Banksie, I just think the OP was just a bit shocked.  Things can happen but for such a basic fundamental thing, it is a bit shocking as the consequence can be severe.  And quite unexpected on a near new, checked vehicle, recently supplied vehicle. But things do happen. Edit: but standing at the roadside with a pool of oil in a remote place, she wasn't aware of the extent or what the issue was either....

The OP doesn't seem to be making a song and dance about it, she has asked what she ought to do now.  It is probably us contributors who add to this and turn it into a thread of their own, me included.

Personally, on a near new car I don't very much like the thought of the car even running for even an insiginificant time without oil pressure.  But what advice to give here? 

• Firstly, reimbursement for any costs and repair (check they have used compliant oil too VW502.00 or 504.00 to prevent complications later on);
  • Secondly, maybe there is a goodwill offer for the inconvenience and stress and altered plans but the OP has said they are not interested in profiting so doesn't seem to be her primary worry. I would still document the whole situation and send it in so it is on record both at dealer and Skoda UK;
  • Vehicle checks; that is a hard one in my mind, I can't think of much other than an oil and filter inspection, maybe oil analysis. The lack of oil, if it has done anything, will affect engine internals and any once over on running the vehicle assurance checklists again when she gets back in an attempt to appease the situation will not resolve that.
  • The 700+ mile return trip will be a good soak test.
  • She ought to be able to rely on the remaining warranty and consumer rights from the dealer who sold to her for some time.

If the OP is desperately unhappy then there maybe a right to return the vehicle, for them to supply another similar, either under their exchange terms or under consumer rights, but it is probably unnecessary....

Yep, and turning it around to look at it the other way, as part of good customer service, despite being unable to prove the sump plug wasn't in correctly it's not rocket science that if the dealer looked at recently then it's probably their fault. So without accepting liability, common sense should prevail on the part of the service manager and the  phone call should go along the lines of "bring your car in and we'll service again, the next service is free and a bunch of flowers(no sexism intended) is on the seat at collection. Problem solved, customer satisfied and they go away and then tell others.

It's not difficult!

Edited by banksie

11 hours ago, tubbytommy said:

Personally i wouldnt trust halfrauds autocentre to change a floor mat.

I doubt any of them are qualified in anything.

I class them the same as kwik fit.

Utter monkeys.

Eat yours words as i am certainly very qualified to do the job i do, plus 22 years of experience 14 of those years as a class 4,5,7 mot tester, started my apprentice ship at K-T fords in Dartford (big main ford dealer at the time) when i was 17 i am now 39 and have worked on most vehicle out there on the road. All our apprentices spend 3 years as an apprentice and get a IMI qualification at the end of it. indeed there are bad centres around. 

If u want monkeys then go to kwick fit, but don't tar us with the same brush.