I thought this warranted a new thread!

Hi having posted a topic last week requesting people's thoughts and opinions on the 2017 Octavia vrs I can't thank everyone enough for taking the time to reply with so many helpful tips and advice.

I thought rather that have too many topics going on in the one thread was maybe too much hence this new one.

I have last one dilemma which I was hoping for similar advice and etc as before.

I will be going with the petrol vrs with dsg and more or less agreed on a colour my final dilemma is.

Saloon Vs Stationwagon/estate version???

My circumstances are 

Have a 7yr old & 3yr and all being well a third kid around end of June. Sorry and the wife!!! Lol

If if you get the time would you mind giving me you're thoughts and opinions on the pros & cons and possibly the main differences in boot space, performance, handiling and as an everyday around town driver ??

Thanks again for all the help and time you have given me.

Actually it is going to be a bit of a squeeze in the back with three kids what with booster seats and the baby securing paraphernalia.

Before you commit yourself to an Octavia you should look more closely at the Superb for the extra width.

There is a recent thread in the Superb mk3 section about fitting three young kids/baby seats in the back and how tight it is even with extra width of the Superb.

The estate version of the Octavia has slightly different rear doors that allow a bit better access, slightly more internal headroom in the rear and a bit more room above the seat line in the boot for all the awkward shaped stuff.

The Octavia estate weighs about 35kg more than the sedan, so negligible effect on handling or performance for the greater utility.

The sedan has exactly the same floorplan so apart from the above stated differences it still has a massive and easily accessible boot for the lower purchase price.

As Gerrycan has said, with 3 kids I'd be looking to go bigger than the Octavia. The middle seat at the rear is quite narrow. Estate sounds like a better fit for your circumstances but the hatch is still very practical with a large boot.

• Like 1

I have three kids - 13, 4 and 2. Car chair and booster seat in the back, used to be one each side but it's narrow in the middle now that the 13y.o. is getting bigger. 

Now have booster seat in middle for 4y.o. but getting the seatbelts on is fiddly.

Doable though.

I recommend the pano roof, it's not cheap but it's really worth it for the kids. Also consider rubber floor mats and easy to clean leather, as 3 kids will make one hell of a mess...:doh:

Best of luck with the new arrival(s) :biggrin:

i have the octavia estate. i am 1.8meters tall. 3 young kids in the rear. 

2 kids are in a rear facing child seat. the other in a forward facing child seat. had to find seats that are narrower in width to get it fitting 3 in a row. 

i can't move BOTH front seats all the way back without hitting the two rear facing child seat.

given a choice i wish i could have more leg room at the front. so ya i find that octavia is not big enough for me. a superb would make more sense, or even a Kodiaq.

boot space on the octavia estate is good enough though. 

it is NOT fun fixing the child seats because i cant use isofix anymore with 3 seats. isofix is found on the centre of both left and right seats. if i use isofix for both outer chairs, i can't fit another chair in the middle seat. you are better off with a car that has 3 ROWS of seats. 

If my maths and knowledge of car seat law is correct your eldest will have two car seats either side of him/her for at least a year or so not sure if they would need to be be in a booster seat, however any journey of distance is going to be fraught with uncomfortable children, not 100% sure an Octavia is your best option but obviously the overall decision is yours, but if your looking to make memories do you really want them marred by uncomfortable passengers

hate to be a killjoy but 3 rows of seats does seem your best option

I've got a four year old and a seven year old and my boot on the hatch is never full, bar going on holiday once a year. I've even got four adults and three snowboard bags in at a push.

It all depends on your lifestyle and how much you travel, where to and what with.

I have the petrol vrs estate and two kids. (Oh, and a wife, but she fits easily in the boot!) Space wise, it's perfect for us and all the stuff we need to take with us when we go out or away for the weekend etc. Performance and handling wise, it's more than adequate for our everyday needs, and quite good fun for the odd blast when I'm on my own. However, I tend to agree with some of the comments above: with 3 kids I'd be looking at the Superb Estate or A.N.Other family car, perhaps with three rows of seats. I'd really miss the vrs performance if I had to have a reasonably priced or more 'sensible/larger' family car, but I'd rather do that than have three uncomfortable/miserable kids on a long journey...

Best of luck with your decision and I hope you all enjoy whichever car you decide to pick!

I looked at the Octy before the Superb Mk3 MY16.. (I have 2 kids age 7 and 4.)

The Octy was too small for us i found, the car just feels small inside. (i came from a 5 series)  -- and the Octy didnt feel much bigger than our MY16 Spaceback SE Sport.

Couple of weeks ago i had a Octy estate from the dealer while my car was in and felt I had made the best decision by a long shot by not going for a Octy..

IMO it would be too small in the back for three smallies. 

Have SE Kombi. Cannot get three full children's seats in the back on isofix. Just not enough space. Even with a seat in front and an adult in between it is very narrow.

Have been instructed that another car will have to be purchased if there are anymore additions. I would look at Kodjaic, Surperb or similar 

• Like 1

Bought the Octavia hatch before the birth of our newborn as it offered greater practicality than my old Saab (which ironically used to be available in hatch on the old GM 900 / mk1 9-3).

My dad had a mk2 estate that I borrowed a few years ago for moving house, it was hugely practical.

However the hatch seems to offer adequate space for my needs, we picked up car seats, bases, and a large pram from the baby shop before she arrived, and it all fitted in the boot much to the assistant's amazement. Plus the hatchback arrangement makes getting things from the "back" of the boot (near the seats) a bit easier than a saloon / estate.

As others said, having 3 seats may be your restriction, maybe look at a 7 seat Kodiak or SEAT Alabama. The days of rear facing seats in most large estate cars are sadly now gone.

Though looking into it, I think the old E class estate had foldable front facing boot seats? Though obviously losing bootspace, an MPV/7 seat SUV may end up more practical for 3 kids.

Edited by WillM82

The interior width of the Octavia Mk3 is quite reasonable but the rear seats are set well inboard making a large part of the width unusable.

I'm sure it is to do with seating the passengers far enough inboard to allow space for airbag deployment.

The old Issigonis designed cars such as the 1100, Maxi and 1800 could comfortably seat 3 abreast in the rear because they had bench seats and minimal protection in the event of side impact. Compare the side sill depth (and door thickness) on the Octavia which is very large even to the point of making access difficult for the less mobile.

Since the OP was hoping for some sort of sportiness in the drive I think the Superb would offer more of that than the Kodiaq.

The Peugeot 505 I learnt to drive in had eight forward facing seats in a car the size of an ordinary large estate, and more boot space than a modern people carrier. That sort of thing just doesn't seem to be possible with modern regulations :-(

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2017 at 14:58, Rodge said:

The Peugeot 505 I learnt to drive in had eight forward facing seats in a car the size of an ordinary large estate, and more boot space than a modern people carrier. That sort of thing just doesn't seem to be possible with modern regulations :-(

7 not 8! 2/3/2. With 4 kids we went through 3 504 & 2 505 estates, including French camping holidays & road trip to SE Austria. Amazing for their time!

I have an Octavia Estate, I think it will be full to the gunnels when we go on holiday (5yr Old, Wife and Dog) we probably (almost certainly) pack too much stuff - Having previously looked at a Superb its massive and other have stated probably more suitable for the five of you. However if the budget would stretch the Kodiaq is worth looking at - I had a play in one in the Showrooms and there is a huge amount of space. That said if you use all three rows of seats then the boot is quite small - so a roof box maybe in order.

That said if you are set on an Octavia then it would make a lot of sense to go for the Estate (its fab!!)

• Like 1

We now have a 65 Reg dsg Scout ... so much roomier than the mk2 & on par with the Passat. The Superb estate  is a bit larger, including the length (but not width) of the boot area. What I don't know is if the Superb has the 4 link rear suspension setup that the Octavia vrs & Scout & other 4x4 versions have. Might make a difference to brisk driving when fully loaded if that matters to yourselves. 

But in in the end, space dilemmas if you go for 7 seats in an estate or Kodiak type 'cos of the compromised boot space. Maybe checkout the width of seating in the Superb compared to the Octy? Not sure if it's significantly wider myself.

Btw the extra boot length in the Superb would prove useful were you to take a dog & crate onboard as well!

If & when you decide, please post!

Edited by MikeM46
Add text