Help with buying a 2007 Octavia vrs with no service history

Thanks for looking , but I'm looking for a blue one + has to have the sat nav . thanks anyway , seems to be people ask more for the blues ones especially diesels and especially trade

Think you may be limiting your options a bit too far with the narrow selection criteria.  When buying second hand, at an attractive price, or doing a deal,  In my experience you need to be a little flexible with some areas otherwise you will never get what you want or you will compromise another aspect even more important.

Edit: not sure how much emphasis I'd be putting into a factory fit satnav h unit on a 10yr car either, there would be other ways to deal with that, but each to their own.

Edited by TheClient

Columbus sat nav is a relatively cheap and very easy retrofit so I'd personally drop that from the list of requirements. As a £1,600.00 option I don't think that many were factory fitted, bit can be bought 2nd hand for sub £500. 

Agree a 10 year old sat nav would be out of date, unless previous owner paid for very expensive updates.

Or you pay for the updates, which would be more expensive than a very good Tom Tom/Garmin

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/04/2017 at 18:21, Awayoffski said:

Did you look at the MOT History?

google 

dvla mot history

you will see the site.

What does 9 years ago matter or even 3 years ago, buy on condition now and forget stories of Mechanic or Technician or Fitters as past owners, 

think of some rubbish work Main Dealer Technicians do.

I would not have a seller do a MOT, best ask if you can pay to have a car MOT'd at a place of your choice and if it fails you will just pay the test and walk.

Many Traders / Dealers have favoured Testers so a new MOT might be proof of nothing.

I know this is a old thread but I've just found out the date of the cat D . 

It was in 2009 

And the last service stamp was in 2010 , 

Its also had the same owner since 2009 so maybe who ever had it that long didn't pay for services at garages because he knew it wouldn't be worth it on a cat D vehicle .

Checked mot history and its passed everyone, 

Been looking at a few now and none are as clean as this one , 

Searched about the value of cat D vehicles and apparently if the cars over 10 years old it shouldn't effect the price too much , but on newer cars it does . 

What do u guys think?

I'm still looking around 

Screenshot_20170530-231106.png

i would stay away from cat D's and especially c's unless you have a bill for the works completed and it can be checked out. also anything that has no history be wary of, it's probably been through the auction to get rid of it or has been 'misplaced' to hide something. you buy this one be prepared to changed the cam belt water pump timing kit, do a full service on it, including brake fluid and probably could do with a coolant flush too, also be prepared for the DMF to go anytime with those miles 2.0 tdi's cant go single either so looking 800+ depending on where you go. so potentially add a very large bill to the cost soon. just because the body work looks ok doesn't mean its been looked after or is mechanically sound.

drop you list of items sat nav etc. and get a better car you can always retrofit parts which is very easy to do on an Octavia. the coloubus sat nav isn't that great tom tom's are cheaper and better imo.

you have a car, so wait and take your time and be flexible take good history over equipment every time.

just my 2 cents

As the above post says there will be the ' right ' car for you available at some point, sat nav is a decent option but was expensive to opt for so not often selected even if a car has it is it likely to still be up to date on a car that's maybe 10 years old especially on one where the owner/s haven't taken care to retain the service history

cat d cars will ALWAYS be worth less than book normally by approx 30% indeed many private buyers wouldn't even consider buying one if its been declared ( declared ? that's another story all together )

the best advice I can pass on to you is as follows

be more flexible on what you " WANT " 

keep an eye on this forum ( and other sources of advertising of course ) search out the genuine private sales of low ownership FSH cars the meet your overall requirements but far better a different colour from your first choice than buying a " lemon " if you pardon the pun

there was a thread on here recently where a guy was selling his dad's estate he was asking as to what the demand for that particular car was it may now be sold but I remember it was or seemed to be a bit of a bargain ( sorry I can't add a link or whatever one does to highlight as I don't know how too !! )

What about this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172673128057

I know it's high milage but its a diesel , which is better for fuel . 

But what do you think on how much its worth ?

Its not got the xenons , no parking sensors , not got the armrest , and has got winders in the back so I think its as basic at it gets though . 

I want one last me for 3 to 4 years , then I want like a 2015 model 

Edited by malibu200786

Any one who buys a diesel PD170 vRS with it's original DPF fitted is asking for trouble, especially one 10 years old.

If you are determined than at least figure £650 into the screen price for a proper DPF removal or £1,000 for a new DPF (depending on which side of the fence you sit on regarding DPF removal).

17 hours ago, malibu200786 said:

What about this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172673128057

I know it's high milage but its a diesel , which is better for fuel . 

But what do you think on how much its worth ?

Its not got the xenons , no parking sensors , not got the armrest , and has got winders in the back so I think its as basic at it gets though . 

I want one last me for 3 to 4 years , then I want like a 2015 model 

personally you don't want xenons, expensive to replace when one goes like £175+

if you want a car of a certain age, colour, spec then be prepared to travel for it.

the one you've posted is ok but only part service with it. also at 160k as said before you'll be looking at an expensive bill for it shortly DMF, DPF plus other smaller components are going to be warn bushes etc say you brought this in 6 months you could be looking at a 2k bill on it so bear that in mind.

if you have to keep it under 3k budget don't buy a vRS  you're imo asking for trouble

So would going for old diesel not be a good idea? 

I've always bought cars under £2000 and never had any engine problems or failures , just like brake pads and tyres to replace that's it really , but I've always put a cambelt + kit on evey car I ever bought within the first weeks of owning .

These have been , x2 1980s mk2 vw golfs, x2 2002 astras , x2 Renault clios , 1 2003 corsa , 1 vw bora and my Skoda superb which I still have . 

Ive never had any engine troubles with any of them .

So how come not buy a vrs for £3000 ?

Is because the way they've been driven you mean ?

OK went looking at a 2008 vrs , with full service history , just 4 Goodyear tyres put on , and a recent service , loads of paperwork , and a cambelt change at around 120,000 , the only issue its done 136,000 miles , but it does drive spot on and its clean no dents and alloys are unmarked . looks like they've been done recently in black . 

What do you think about the mileage ? They said they would do it for 3500 .

Really struggling to find a low milage vrs , plenty low milage and newer if you want the other models tho .

Its the 2.0 tfsi

Edited by malibu200786

13 hours ago, malibu200786 said:

OK went looking at a 2008 vrs , with full service history , just 4 Goodyear tyres put on , and a recent service , loads of paperwork , and a cambelt change at around 120,000 , the only issue its done 136,000 miles , but it does drive spot on and its clean no dents and alloys are unmarked . looks like they've been done recently in black . 

What do you think about the mileage ? They said they would do it for 3500 .

Really struggling to find a low milage vrs , plenty low milage and newer if you want the other models tho .

Its the 2.0 tfsi

Then get a low mileage lesser model! tbh and I don't want to sound like a **** but it seems like you're breaking the bank to get a vRS and probably cant really afford one its not just the buying but on going costs, really you should have at least another 1,000 in the bank just for the car. I don't know much about the tfsi engines so ill leave that for someone else but probable looking real world MPG around 22-30? I assume the clutch has been done on this one with a receipt for it.

if your thinking of buying it at least post the link so we can have a  look

Gissin , I'm not breaking the bank , I just don't see the point in paying more than £3500 , because in reality the probability of something going wrong is the same on a used car worth  £5000 , as it is when spend £3500 , even less even a bit more , and I'd say probably across Milages too . 

Be interesting to know if anybody on here owns high milage petrols ?

Surely a engine produced in 2008 can last 200k+ at the very least as long as cambelt kits are done when needed and servicing is not skipped etc ,

If golfs from the 1980s are still knocking about surely these newer engines are better ?

looks nice, shame the seller doesn't know how to use a flash :dull: its certainly had some work done.

I'd check the tints with a light meter though, those fronts look well over 70%

at 140k id say the zennons might go 175 ish each will need a clutch if not already been done, water pump and timing belt should have already been done so you should check that.

9 years old and 140k so be expecting things to start failing.

When you say things failing do you mean the auxiliaries or the engine itself , like I said it says the timing belt and pump was replaced at 120000 ish , clutch I'm not sure I will have to check . 

I did notice a scratch about 8cm long on the rear panel but not deep tho , 

The xenon's are after market so when they go I'll just put Normal halogen bulbs in .

What do you think of the price he offered it for 3500 .?