Tyres for Mk3

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Skoda/Octavia.htm

So... since the cabin boom has been reduced, I might get some tyres (though my last hesitation is the bumpy ride - my sore back is either due to feeling ill or the bumpy ride 0 who knows). So, what would you recommend? I keep reading that Dunlop cause a lot of road noise. Not looking to spend a million quid, but don't want to skimp either. In Scotland. 

Cheers!

21 minutes ago, guitarman001 said:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Skoda/Octavia.htm

So... since the cabin boom has been reduced, I might get some tyres (though my last hesitation is the bumpy ride - my sore back is either due to feeling ill or the bumpy ride 0 who knows). So, what would you recommend? I keep reading that Dunlop cause a lot of road noise. Not looking to spend a million quid, but don't want to skimp either. In Scotland. 

Cheers!

I will be changing when ready (a few months) to Goodyear Efficient Performance. good euro ratings for wet/efficiency and noise. als had great previous experience in 2 other cars.

New tyres now come with a noise rating which I guess is the best generic way to decide how noisy the tyre will be asside from really driving with them as all tyres much be tested in a vaguely similar test condition.

The car magazines do some good comparison articles too.

I've just fitted Conti Premium Contact 6 to my Octavia  & am very pleased with how quiet they are on the roads here in Switzerland.

I had Dunlop BluResponse tyres (16") on my wifes old Peugeot & these were also pretty good.

10 hours ago, guitarman001 said:

I keep reading that Dunlop cause a lot of road noise.

Stop taking everything you read online as fact. Dunlop, as with every other tyre manufacturer, make quiet and noisy tyres. 

I presume your Octavia needs 205/55/16 tyres? If so, and you're looking for a mid range decent all round tyre that's quiet I'd go for either the Dunlop Sport BluResponse or Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. Expect to pay sub £250 fitted for a full set of either. 

My new favourite is Uniroyal RainSport 3.

My Octy came with Pirelli P7 Cinturatos from the factory.

These Uniroyal tyres are quieter and more comfortable plus the wet grip is really excellent. Dry grip is a bit worse than with the Pirellis.

I have 17" wheels.

Edited by aki78

I have the same sized tyre on my Octavia and replaced the Michelin's fitted when I purchased the car with Dunlop Sport BluResponse. Lovely quiet tyre, wears well and transformed the overall refinement.

I had these fitted to my MK2 also and was also pleased with overall performance. I would certainly purchase these again.

9 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

In Scotland, try Michelin Cross Climate's 

A compromise yes but, a pretty god one & at 69 db pretty quiet too

Yup, finally decided to order some for my Superb II

Check out Vredestein Ultrac Satin tyres too, I had a pair of them fitted to the front of my Octavia Estate last summer when the original Dunlop Sport tyres wore out, quite a difference, much quieter. With the not very good suspension setup of particularly the earlier mk 3 Octavia's, any help you can get to cut the road noise down is very, very welcome!

On ‎05‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 14:54, Auric Goldfinger said:

I'm thinking about these when the Pirelli P Zero's need replacing

So far very impressed with the noise levels compared with the previous ContactSport2 it was delivered with.

Will feedback in a week about the fuel consumption.

First tank was a bit lower than normal (50mpg instead of 54) but included 2 weeks of my wives short commute.

This tank will be all of my commute so hoping to see some improvement.

I currently switch twice a year from Goodyear Eagle F1s to Hankook Winter Tyres on my MKII vRS. 

I had Falken Euro Allseaons on my Scout recently (sold now) and was very impressed with them. 

I live in the Mendips and am tempted by all season tyres for my new (to me, '14 plate) vRS to avoid switching twice a year. 

Is the compromise too much do you think? Will I regret not having summer rubber for 8 months of the year?

(sorry for the blatant hijack!!)

Cheers,

Dunc

On Friday, May 05, 2017 at 11:21, guitarman001 said:

I'm not sure if I need the "Z" but thanks for all recommendations. 

Best to stay with the speed rating of the original spec tyres. They are usually no more expensive anyway for summer tyres. All seasons tyres tend to give lower speed ratings and winter tyres lower again. You can set a reminder of the maximum tyre speed on one of the info menus. I'm wavering between sticking to the original Michelin Energy + or maybe changing to Vredestein Quattrac 5 all seasons. 

The noise level is given on the National Tyres web site and others. 

3 hours ago, dunc69 said:

Is the compromise too much do you think? Will I regret not having summer rubber for 8 months of the year?

It is.

You will.

Get used set of rims for Hankook, so you can change wheels between seasons yourself.

Hi nidza, I have 16" steels already for my winters & change them myself. But the new vRS needs 17" minimum to clear the front brakes, so I'm looking at all options. 

The Eagle F1 Assy 3s are my favourite 18" summer tyres, so might well go with those & worry about the winter option come next October. Was just canvassing views on here about all season tyres on a vRS....

6 hours ago, dunc69 said:

(sorry for the blatant hijack!!)

Cheers,

Dunc

Hmmm, I'd say not in the case of the Crossclimate & I've pretty much explored the boundaries of road use albeit, in a little mildly breathed on 1.4 TSI.

One thing I do like about the crossclimate is that its very progressive when it starts letting go & therefore, quite controllable. Certainly, not gonna try to kil you

• Like 1

Yes, interesting. I've read good things about the Michelin Cross Climates. 

Anyone else gone for them? 

To be honest, makes no sense putting any other tire, but UHP, on vRS. You will ruin this cars temperament with all-season tire.

My choice for 230 for winter season was Goodyear UG Performance Gen-1, 18" size. Car was delivered to me with summer tires, as you can find in brochures, 230 is being delivered only with P-Zero on black 19" Xtreme. I don't complain, this tire - works.

• Like 1

When you've decided, checkout Blackcircles.com for purchasing and fitting.  I've used them for years now.  You buy the tyres from them and then choose from their website, where to have them fitted.  It works great.

• Like 2