Bloody incompetent dealers (again!)

I've just switched dealerships because the one I normally use have been useless lately, even claiming to have done warranty work that wasn't actually done. So I've just switched to a new one (actually closer to me). The car has popped up asking for an oil service in the next 800 miles. It's a 2.0 TSI 220ps on variable servicing. The car from new estimated 19,000 miles (iirc) for servicing but due to all our short trips this has slowly fallen to the current 11,134 miles + 800 miles for servicing. Hence, approx 12,000 miles.

I've just called the dealer and they're refusing the book it in. They said Motability won't pay for a service as the oil can do 20,000 miles. They will, he said, if I insist, just turn off the service light and tick the box without actually doing any work. When I pulled him up and said the car wants a service, it does a lot of short journeys so 12k is about right, he got a bit pushy. No, he says, modern oil can do 20,000 miles and the car must be on fixed servicing not variable, else it wouldn't be asking for a service before 20,000 miles... :wall:

I read to him right off Skoda's website about how variable servicing is UP TO 20,000 miles with ideal usage, but can be between 10,000 and 20,000 miles (and 1 or 2 years accordingly) depending on use, and the car's onboard ECU will test the oil day to day and make a decision. The car is also definitely on variable, as (1) it would have asked for a service 2,000 miles ago if on fixed interval and (2) it started counting down from just under 20,000 miles from new. No again, he says. We will just knock the light off and you need to carry on driving it on the old oil.

Never, ever buy an ex lease car! I'm currently waiting for someone senior to call me back at Motability. Why do Skoda have to be so difficult unnecessarily? This is two dealerships now. I'll be buying privately (not Skoda!) next time around I think. :blink:

• Like 1

A call to Škoda UK would be in order - and getting sense out of Motability can be a challenge depending upon who you get on the other end.

The key bit is the 'up to' as you rightly stated.  If the car wants a service then it gets done, period.  And yes, fixed service is 12,000 miles/12-months.  Fixed/Variable can be set by the Dealer at delivery.  Default is Variable.  My Dealer changed it without consent and got a VERY clear message to put it back to factory at once!

Sounds like you have another incompetent Dealer too.  One around here is good, but a different (nearer) branch in the same chain is appalling.  I now have a good relationship with the former's Master Tech as we are both engineers and can talk in the same language.

• Like 1

Well, I was wrong! haha I just spoke to SUK's customer service. They said ignore the owner's manual, ignore the Skoda website and ignore the car's warning light. I need to get the light turned off and run the old oil for another year. It's come on "too early" because it shouldn't be on before 20,000 miles or 18,000 miles at the earliest... apparently. She then ironically told me the light had come on 'too early' because of my driving habits, and the oil had degraded early. Exactly, said I - that's my point! It needs changing. Nope, the retailer is correct. Just reset the service light, ignore it and drive another year.

Ho hum.

I'm a few hundred miles too far out the way Wino, but that's very kind of you to offer. If they want their car running on worn, contaminated dirty old oil and they're going to warrant it, leave them be I guess. I even told her I now know never to ever buy a second hand Skoda (as the default is reset the service light, carry on with the old oil) and she just laughed and said 'yeah'... :blink:

• Like 1

Possible explanation. I presume Motability own the car and will have a contract with Skoda UK covering the purchase of vehicles.  In that case it may well be that both parties are happy to agree a bespoke servicing schedule since the vehicle will not be in Motability's ownership when the warranty has expired.

Just now, peter_k said:

Possible explanation. I presume Motability own the car and will have a contract with Skoda UK covering the purchase of vehicles.  In that case it may well be that both parties are happy to agree a bespoke servicing schedule since the vehicle will not be in Motability's ownership when the warranty has expired.

That may well be Peter, but to be fair the guy didn't even know it was a Motability vehicle at first and neither did the lady at SUK. It just doesn't make sense if you ask me, especially as Skoda's written documentation explicitly contradicts it the explanation given to me on the phone.

In that case I would be asking Skoda for a definitive servicing scheduling. I would imagine that Motability have "servicing" conditions in your contract.  

Quick search of skoda site finds "To obtain the full benefit of this warranty it is essential that the vehicle is properly serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions." Exclusion "Damage or defects caused by not having the vehicle serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines." " Y o u r  v e h i c l e  s h o u l d  b e  s e r v i c e d  i n  a c c o r d a n c e  w i t h  t h e  m a n u f a c t u r e r ’ s  t e c h n i c a l  g u i d e l i n e s . A n y  d a m a g e  t o , o r  d e f e c t  i n , t h e  v e h i c l e  c a u s e d  b y  p o o r  o r  i n s u ff i c i e n t  s e r v i c i n g  w i l l  n o t  b e  r e m e d i e d  u n d e r  t h e v e h i c l e ’ s  w a r r a n t y"

2 minutes ago, peter_k said:

In that case I would be asking Skoda for a definitive servicing scheduling. I would imagine that Motability have "servicing" conditions in your contract.  

Quick search of skoda site finds "To obtain the full benefit of this warranty it is essential that the vehicle is properly serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions." Exclusion "Damage or defects caused by not having the vehicle serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines." " Y o u r  v e h i c l e  s h o u l d  b e  s e r v i c e d  i n  a c c o r d a n c e  w i t h  t h e  m a n u f a c t u r e r ’ s  t e c h n i c a l  g u i d e l i n e s . A n y  d a m a g e  t o , o r  d e f e c t  i n , t h e  v e h i c l e  c a u s e d  b y  p o o r  o r  i n s u ff i c i e n t  s e r v i c i n g  w i l l  n o t  b e  r e m e d i e d  u n d e r  t h e v e h i c l e ’ s  w a r r a n t y"

I quoted that also. Apparently she's "Not in the warranty department so can't comment on that". I said the warranty specifically states the car needs to be serviced on demand according to the manufacturer's schedule. She said "Well I've given you the schedule, it's 20,000 miles no matter what". You can't make it up lol. Once it's in writing and Motability agree I can wash my hands of it. It's their car to knacker. I'm just the idiot who spends £11,000 renting it and thousands more on keeping it clean and tidy, topped up with premium oil, only ever V-Power and fresh Bosch wipers lol. Maybe I need to start adopting their standards and saving myself money!

I have been under the impression based on what I was advised by another that variable works as follows:

Oil and servicing will be split, depending on driving styles as you have stated, however they advised that they would do the oil as when advised, and charge for it, however when service was reached then the oil would be done again as part of the checklist, now that seems like a rip off unless the oil indication and service indicator comes on at the same time. The biggest risk was that you could have had an oil change at indication & less than 100 miles/ few days later it hits service, or be very lucky and go a few thousand miles / quite a few months . 

I also got frustrated with 2 different skoda dealers as my Yeti required oil, but not service (I have variable) and they both insisted that when the oil is needed then it must have service !!

Having checked the MFD the service would have been less than 3000 miles anyway so had it done.( My MFD will show oil & service interval / left) and insisted that variable was left set. They still had the cheek to say it will need doing in 12 months / 12000 miles !!!!!.

If they are insisting that then whats the point of variable ?

I am going by the MFD advice on service / oil in future.

• Like 1

If Motablity Finance own the car then do what Motability Finance tell you.

Ask in writing and only accept the reply in writing.

They own mine and the first service is @ 20,000 miles which can be in a year.

Motability are paying for the Ad-Blue my TDI needs because Motability & the Dealership Sales Person told me i only need pay for fuel.

Oddly the Service Desk disputes this but have had it filled up anyway and no charge to me.

Those buying Ex Motability Vehicles at BCA (British Car Auctions) can now be warned to take the Full Main Dealer Service History with a pinch of salt.

Or a dose of BS.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

As Skoda UK warranty department are the ones that decide whether any repair is covered, not individual dealers that can change hands, Skoda UK should put it in writing.

Just imaging the Double Glazing trick, that warranty was from Glass Ltd we are Glass GB Limited, therefore it isn't worth the paper it is written on. But you say you have been in business for 35 years, yes our staff have been "in the" business for 35 years, just not this one, legally speaking.

• Like 2

A Skoda Warranty has Exclusions & you need to follow Service Schedule Guidelines.

Motability is the biggest group buyer of motor vehicles in the UK and buy them outright and then put them to auction after 3 years or 5 or the length of the lease.

(The 5 major banks were handed over the Billions in 2008 as the Banks Crashed, Motabilty is a Charity run as a Business and has a fortune in funds.)

So if Motability are prepared to have vehicles Serviced so that the Manufacturers Warranty is Invalidated then that is Motability's choice.

But that is if true.

The resale values might be seriously affected once the Buying Public gets to know Motability Vehicles are not serviced to Manufacturers Schedules / Guidelines, 

if that has started to happen.

33 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

PS

Where are people getting 'fixed servicing' as being 12,000 miles or 12 months.

When was that changed from 9,400 miles / 372 days? (a year and a week.)

My bad, I must have mixed it up with another car. Mine has supposedly been on variable so I didn't pay too much attention to the other option. Either way my point stands that mine can't be accidentally on fixed servicing as the dealer originally tried to claim, as it would certainly have asked for a service well before 14 months / ~12k miles. 

• Like 1

My parents have a Focus TDCI on Motability the service light came on at 8K as they only potter in it, they took it to the dealer who booked it in for a oil change and specified it along with cost on the service sheet obviously FOC to them.

Edited by kezwald

Servicing

Your car needs regular servicing to keep it running well. The cost of each service, and any maintenance repairs necessary due to general wear, are included as part of your worry-free package. Servicing will either be at set times during your lease agreement, or when your car has been driven a certain number of miles.

What's included in your service

Additional repairs

Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) servicing

What’s included in your service

For all car servicing and maintenance, you should take your car to the dealer that has been assigned as your managing dealer.

Services will usually include the following checks:

Engine oil

Windscreen washer fluid

Engine cooling system

Lights

Tyre tread

Tyre pressure - including the spare tyre

The service for each type of car will be different. Other checks for brake pads or filters, for example, will be looked at if it is recommended by the manufacturer.

For adaptations fitted at the start of your lease through the Motability Managed Adaptations Programme, your installer will notify you if any regular maintenance is required. If this is the case, it will be included as part of your worry-free package.

If your dealer hasn’t contacted you when a service is due, give them a call. You may get a Good Condition Bonus at the end of your lease if your car has been well looked after.

Waiting for your car

The length of a service can vary so you may need to organise transport home to avoid a long wait at the dealership. If you’ve given the dealership three weeks’ notice from when you booked a service or repair, they will give you a standard courtesy car . If the courtesy car is not suitable for your needs we will try to make other arrangements.

Keep a record

Please make sure that your dealer completes and stamps your car’s service book after every service. Keep this safe and in good condition as it may be needed in future to prove the car has had regular servicing

Edited by kezwald
highlighted
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

I've just switched dealerships because the one I normally use have been useless lately, even claiming to have done warranty work that wasn't actually done. So I've just switched to a new one (actually closer to me). The car has popped up asking for an oil service in the next 800 miles. It's a 2.0 TSI 220ps on variable servicing. The car from new estimated 19,000 miles (iirc) for servicing but due to all our short trips this has slowly fallen to the current 11,134 miles + 800 miles for servicing. Hence, approx 12,000 miles.

I've just called the dealer and they're refusing the book it in. They said Motability won't pay for a service as the oil can do 20,000 miles. They will, he said, if I insist, just turn off the service light and tick the box without actually doing any work. When I pulled him up and said the car wants a service, it does a lot of short journeys so 12k is about right, he got a bit pushy. No, he says, modern oil can do 20,000 miles and the car must be on fixed servicing not variable, else it wouldn't be asking for a service before 20,000 miles... :wall:

I read to him right off Skoda's website about how variable servicing is UP TO 20,000 miles with ideal usage, but can be between 10,000 and 20,000 miles (and 1 or 2 years accordingly) depending on use, and the car's onboard ECU will test the oil day to day and make a decision. The car is also definitely on variable, as (1) it would have asked for a service 2,000 miles ago if on fixed interval and (2) it started counting down from just under 20,000 miles from new. No again, he says. We will just knock the light off and you need to carry on driving it on the old oil.

Never, ever buy an ex lease car! I'm currently waiting for someone senior to call me back at Motability. Why do Skoda have to be so difficult unnecessarily? This is two dealerships now. I'll be buying privately (not Skoda!) next time around I think. :blink:

My other car.. a Rapid Spaceback SE Sport MY16 - required a service at 14 months - car had only done 6k miles.

Booked it in for a oil service as the car requested it and the lease company (car is fully maintained) booked it in for me. The skoda garage then refused to service it as it should be on long life and the lease company wont pay for it... therefore the service light only was reset and no further action taken.

Was advised that the car should of been set to long life.... which it was out of the factory as per the documentation and VIN details - the countdown on the car was 31 days or 4900 miles which ever is sooner.

Details on my thread here -

Edited by RickTT

just posted something similar in a new topic and looks as though its true, cant believe a manufacturer would make such a simple mistake or there I suppose I can:wall: