Excessive Tyre Wear - 19" alloys

Running a September '15 Superb L&K 190 DSG 4 wheel drive estate - mileage about 17500.

I had a front tyre blowout yesterday caused by a pothole and upon examination of the tyre (19" 235/40R 19 Pirelli P7) the steel reinforcement/belting on the inside of the sidewall immediately below the tread area was exposed, the rubber having worn away for almost the entire circumference.  When I had the tyre replaced today the other front tyre was found to be in the same condition.  The tyre fitter thought this was a camber issue and to inform Skoda.  As there there was a reasonable amount of tread left on both front tyres it was an area which I would not normally check.  I'm posting this as a warning for others with 19" wheels to check them and to ask whether anybody else has experienced this.  There is no Skoda recall for camber related issues. 

Edited by caradoc

I had tracking reset on my S3 with 19s, but no uneven tyre wear like you suggest.

I've done roughly 40,000 miles and am about to change the front tyres (prob next week)

It could be speed cushions. If you straddle them the inside edge of the tyre gets all the wear. It's a well known problem but I don't think anyone has tried to sue a council yet.

Edited by facet edge

I can see your point, I have been guilty of doing this on rare occasions. Presumably the rear track is wider otherwise they would be affected as well ?   

5 hours ago, caradoc said:

The tyre fitter thought this was a camber issue and to inform Skoda.

Did you have the alignment and suspension geometry checked and adjusted accordingly, if this issue was picked up on?

It will be looked at once the second tyre has arrived and is fitted. Also going into the dealership to be checked.

• Like 1

Tracking was out by a mile on my car from tolerance levels..... however tyre wear was even across the full tread.. i got 9k miles (4K and i was down to around 4mm)  from the front set so you have done well

From previous experience of low profile tyres I have done well on mileage,  but I was surprised at how much tread was left on all 4 tyres.  Anyway we will see what the dealership says when it goes in.

• 4 months later...

This is my front O/S tyre this morning, which suddenly deflated on me. Thankfully I had just stopped, the front n/s went about 2000 miles ago, big nail through it, but i noticed then that it appeared very worn on the inside edge. This one is a real mess and could have been a lot worse had i been on a motorway or something. The fitter checked to see if it had been scraping against anything on the car suspension and no it hadn't. So I think the car needs looking at as the tracking or wheel caster/camber must be out. Anyone else had problems mine is on 18" wheels not 19". I suggest very strongly you check your tyres on full lock the wires and canvas were sticking out, don't run your hand over it as you will cut your hand to bits. I am more than a bit shocked as the tyres still have a good tread 4mm at least.

20171004_093423[1].jpg

With regard to the above,I have just spoken to a mechanic friend and shown him the photo his opinion is that the cars wheels are towing out and it needs tracking and wheel alinement checking. Tow out is apparently when the front wheels point slightly outwards and tow in the opposite pointing slightly inwards at the front.

Edited by russ1610

• 3 months later...

Get the place who change the tyre to return in to the manufacturer (Keeping pictures).  Used to be no-charge.

Last time (only time thank god) I had something like that happen there were bits of tyre all over the M1 and it took part of the rear bumper with it.  Changed all four, not just the one that went.

• 3 months later...

I have an L&K Skoda Superb and I had the same issue blow out on the motorway at speed (luckily managed to get to the hard shoulder ok).  AA man was going to fit a wheel so I could drive home, but then saw my other front tyre was exactly the same - down to the metal on the inside of the tyre.  The tyre had lots of tread all the way across - so as has been mentioned, worth turning the wheels out when parking to check. Has anyone spoken to Skoda about this because I can’t help think there is an issue! My car is a 65 plate and has done about 28,000 miles. I love the car otherwise (other than a few small things that have gone wrong).

On most front wheel drive cars the front wheels lean in towards the engine. Camber.

So driving along a road your front tyres will automatically wear the inside edge faster.

The only thing that holds up the centre of the tyre is air.

An over inflated tyre will wear the centre of the tyre quicker.

An under inflated tyre will wear the edges quicker.

A tyre with camber will wear the lower edge faster. The inside edge on front tyres.

You can alleviate this by running a higher tyre pressure.

It can also help to rotate your tyres.

Hope this helps.

Thanks AG Falco

I run my Fabia at the Eco pressures which are 2.4 Bar all round.

The wider and or lower profile the tyre the higher the pressure wanted.

The Eco pressures for 19'' would be higher than this.

Maybe at least  2.7-3.0 Bar. Look behind the fuel filler cap.

15 hours ago, PhillipH said:

I’m hoping the tyres (at 2,2 bar - 32psi recommended by Skoda) were correctly inflated.

Air comes out of a tyre whether you use the car or not.

If you check the highway code it suggests you check your tyre pressures once a week. :o

Don't forget to have the alignment checked and all four wheels as the rear is also adjustable.

I see this type of tyre wear every day.

You can alleviate this by running a higher tyre pressure.

It can also help to rotate your tyres.

Hope this helps.

Thanks AG Falco

3 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

last century :)
recommending install Direct TPMS , it costs just €44

In this Country from 20 May if you have a TPMS system it has to work for you to pass the MOT.

An MOT is a UK annual car safety check.

Some direct TMPS systems don't show you the live tyre pressures and only warn you when they get to a certain low level.

I have seen some that only warn you when they get to 2.0 bar when the correct pressure should be 2.6 Bar.

So they only warn you when the pressure is already down by 25-30%.

The maximum fine for an incorrectly inflated tyre in the UK is 3 points and £2500.

Thanks AG Falco

2 minutes ago, PhillipH said:

18 - apologies!

I would still run a much higher pressure.

Thanks AG Falco.