Infotainment Update Portal error

I keep getting an error when I enter the VIN of my car in order to get map updates from the Update portal http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB/Updates/

The error reads: GeneralError, Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index

Has anybody else had the problem and if so have you solved it?  If it's a problem with the website how do you contact Skoda web support?

The portal is broken again, I am getting the same message. The easiest way to alert Skoda UK is to post a message on the Skoda UK Facebook page.

Weird, it was working earlier on in the week, maybe they are updating the maps :) because they changed the date that new maps would be available on Sunday/Monday but they were still the old version

Yep it's broken for me, same error. Seems to have been on and off over the past few weeks, but each time it has been working again, the maps version has remained the same. 

Ok, the portal is now working.

My car version shows ECE 1 2016/17. The portal shows an update of ECE 1 2017 (12Gb) and ECE 2 2017 (4Gb). Do I need both or just the first one? If both presumably you update the main one first and then the secon one after?

The portal is now working, however, the maps are still the old versions. If you hover your mouse cursor over the Download button you will see that it has HIGH_P157, it should be HIGH_P161 for the latest maps. This happened last year, as I recall. It also shows the next update in November. You may do better with the direct download link for the new maps.

Just a note, I have a Columbus and can only speak for that version.

Edited by Paulius55

I downloaded the maps version ECE 17 - I wasn't familar with the file numbering but that wouldn't have mattered as my car maps are ECE 15 so the update would have been welcome.  BUT multiple attempts to update the software have failed first at 3%, after which I reformatted the SD card and now at 51%.  Given up for now.

Anyone else experienced problems like this is in the past and if so what's the solution?

Just downloaded ECE 17 for Amundsen, all updated OK. 

2 hours ago, Marnhullman said:

BUT multiple attempts to update the software have failed first at 3%, after which I reformatted the SD card and now at 51%. 

Unpacking the files to the SD card takes a while, might be worth checking power saving settings to ensure PC hard drive remains active some settings shut down the drive after a set period causing the process to fail.

Yes, I had no problems either. My PC is a pretty fast machine but is still took ages to unzip the files. All working now though...

PS, make sure you format the SD card as FAT32.

Edited by Eltezz

16 minutes ago, Eltezz said:

PS, make sure you format the SD card as FAT32.

When I copied the Amundsen MIB1 2017/18 files to the original SD it failed the first time saying there wasn't enough space as it had been formatted with 32KB sectors. When I  reformatted it with 4KB sectors it copied OK and said there was 180KB free.

4 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

When I copied the Amundsen MIB1 2017/18 files to the original SD it failed the first time saying there wasn't enough space as it had been formatted with 32KB sectors. When I  reformatted it with 4KB sectors it copied OK and said there was 180KB free.

Not quite sure what your point is. Sector size has nothing to do with type of formatting. You simply ran out of space using standard formatting as a lot of space is unused in the larger sectors. Reducing the size as you did is one way, using a larger capacity card is another. I recommended FAT32 as that is how the original card in the car is formatted...

Still offering me P157 for a MIB1 Columbus - they haven't offered me any new maps since July 2016 now when they first issued P157.

Absolute **** up again.

Car goes in a month though so not that bothered and I have put the VW ones on anyway

Had no trouble downloading  or extracting the files to the SD card.   I'm using a 32 gb Sandisk SDHC 1 Extreme Pro card formatted FAT32 which has 3.4gb free after extracting the files.

Any more thoughts?

The people that seemed to have issues have Amundsen and you have to use the original Skoda card.

It would help if people posted if they are Amundsen or Columbus, MIB1 or MIB2 as there are 4 combinations in play :)

13 hours ago, Eltezz said:

Not quite sure what your point is. Sector size has nothing to do with type of formatting. You simply ran out of space using standard formatting as a lot of space is unused in the larger sectors. Reducing the size as you did is one way, using a larger capacity card is another. I recommended FAT32 as that is how the original card in the car is formatted...

You can't use a larger cars on an Amundsen, you have to use an original Skoda SD card because of the embedded secure data that the Amundsen requires.

So my point is that if the newer (larger?) maps won't fit then the fix is to reformat the card, still to FAT32, with smaller sector sizes.

1 hour ago, SWBoy said:

You can't use a larger cars on an Amundsen, you have to use an original Skoda SD card because of the embedded secure data that the Amundsen requires.

So my point is that if the newer (larger?) maps won't fit then the fix is to reformat the card, still to FAT32, with smaller sector sizes.

Should have said "cluster" not "sector".

Space on the SD card is allocated in units of a cluster and as the map data contains many small files then using a large cluster size like 32K "wastes" a lot of space meaning all the files won't fit. Choosing the option when formatting to FAT32 of a smaller cluster size solves this problem (even quick format on Windows offers the option of choosing the cluster size).