Shall I have her back? Looking for 'man maths' support....

Heya everyone.

You may or may not remember me, but I was quite prevalent around these parts in days or yore, bothering all and sundry with endless technical questions about my '51 plate Mk. 1 Vrs. Regular readers may recall that I owned her for 5 years, changed the odometer mileage from around 80k to something circa 160k - and had remaps and various bits of fun along the way. You may also remember my ridiculous, lovesick admiration for my ropey old motor. She was honest, fun, reliable - and maybe a bit battle-scarred in the end....but I loved her.

Circa 9 months ago, I went to the 'dark side' and bought an (admittedly lovely) Mk. 3 vrs. Bright red, from a main dealer, with the only sensible choice of a petrol engine and a manual gearbox. It has been a bit of a 'love-hate' relationship with my Mk. 3 to be honest (I have posted about it) but overall, as I stand now, I have warmed to her and I am happy to have her. I think I am just a bit old school and I was a little resistant to all the modern car features, so to speak.....and I missed my old Mk. 1. However, she went to a good home, namely a friend of mine, for the princely sum of a grand. A bargain really, given the condition, servcie history and mahoosive stereo system laying within (which I just couldn't be arsed to spend a weekend removing!)

Fast forward to today, and my friend calls me. He says he's done only around 1,000 miles in the time he has owned my old girl, and has realised that he just does not really use / need a car for his 'lifestyle'. She's in much the same condition as when I sold her to him, save for a rather nasty gash his neighbour visited upon the front bumper. However in a strange twist of fate, I still have a perfect spare Mk. 1 front bumper sitting in my garden from years ago...funny how life is eh?!

My mate says to me, he says 'ere - I don't suppose you'd be interested in buying your old car back from me, would you - before I stick it on the internet?' He then says 'I'd be happy with 700 quid...'. And under his ownership, he's also replaced the rear brake calipers, discs and pads, and fitted a new secondary air intake pump. The car is MOT'd and Taxed too....

Well.....I sort of made my mind up pretty much straight away - especially as I am fortunate enough to share a workshop with a friend, containing not only every tool and grinder and lathe the casual amateur mechanic could want, but a 2 post lift as well. I was starting to look for a new classic car to buy and tinker with.....however I thought that, with the prices and rarity of decent Mk. 1 vrs's only going one way lately, it may be an idea to grab my old girl back, and invest some time and money in dragging her to something approaching a 'good as new' condition. A sort of mild investment in a future classic, if you get me?

Anyway oh look - sorry, I have gone off on a right old ramble. Those of you that are still with me - what do you reckon? What would YOU do? Shall I get her back?

Comments and discussions very welcome please. Thanks chums!

(PS I don't have a wife or girlfriend or kids or any of that drain on my resources - or nagging voice in my ear about 'what a waste of time and money' it may be.... :D )

Edited by Ray Luxury-Yacht
Addition
  • Like 2

Why are you even asking? You know the history, you know the car, and it's a bargain price. In my eyes the mk1 should start to improve in value before long, loads being broken recently so numbers will inherently fall, it may not get to the dizzy heights of mk1 golf gti's etc, but should become a future classic of some sorts.

£700 you cant go wrong really, as it has MoT and you know the car.

Just dont get any illusions about how much it might be worth longer term.

It only seems to be the low mileage pampered 80s and 90s classics that are making big money at the moment. 

Its always going to have 160k miles on it, unless you clock it....which of course you wouldnt as its illegal...lol

Buy buy buy buy........

" You know it makes sense "

have fun and enjoy could be the best 700 you ever spend ( don't forget you can't transfer tax these days !! )

Well done,  your doing what I kinda did with yellow peril no.2.  Admittedly it isn't my original yellow vrs I bought new in 2002 and sound around 2013, but it feels like it should be and is slowly working it's way back to good as new!

We'll be on hand no doubt to lend advice and techie suggestions when things undoubtedly need fixing.

• Like 1