Android Auto on Columbus

I've had intermittent success with AA so thought I'd ask how others are finding it.

Sometimes it connects without issue and works flawlessly, other times it's a PITA and I just give up.

I'd be interested to see an account from initial connection to usb to actually using it to see if I'm doing something different. What popups appear on your phone and what do you select to close them?

I'm trying to test the AA beta version of Waze and I'm pulling my hair out.

My phone is a HTC 10.

2 hours ago, r08shaw said:

I'm trying to test the AA beta version of Waze and I'm pulling my hair out.

I thought that the beta Waze was for those cars with the Android "computer" on-board - AA (Android Auto) isn't the same as phone/tablet Android.

Edited by peter_k

I had endless issues and had to go through a right process to get the phone (LG G3) to connect to the car.

However since getting a LG G5, its simple plug and play and connects within 10 seconds every time.

5 hours ago, peter_k said:

I thought that the beta Waze was for those cars with the Android "computer" on-board - AA (Android Auto) isn't the same as phone/tablet Android.

My car has Android Auto capability because it has the Columbus head unit. Also does Apple Carplay, but that's not relevant for me. 

Have AA working fine with Samsung A3 2017 and Columbus - very stable - using short (10cm) Olixar - not cheapest on market but worth it. I do think a lot of connections problems are down to cheap leads - just my experience I know some guys have no isssues.

Far as I can remember on INITIAL connection I had to answer a few tick boxes but now I just plug in phone  and all is good.

How did you get the beta Waze ? I signed up but have heard nothing - did you get sent a  link that you could share by any chance ?

16 hours ago, CTRob said:

I had issues with Android Auto for ages... get yourself a decent flexible USB cable like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M1UWJT8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not had a single disconnection since I purchased this and it connects first time every time :)

Thanks for the advice, I ordered one yesterday. Different to your link as I need USB C, but same make.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Smudgers said:

Have AA working fine with Samsung A3 2017 and Columbus - very stable - using short (10cm) Olixar - not cheapest on market but worth it. I do think a lot of connections problems are down to cheap leads - just my experience I know some guys have no isssues.

Far as I can remember on INITIAL connection I had to answer a few tick boxes but now I just plug in phone  and all is good.

How did you get the beta Waze ? I signed up but have heard nothing - did you get sent a  link that you could share by any chance ?

PM sent.

Thanks for advice on the cable. I ordered a new one. Ironically this morning though it connected without issue and I had Waze running on the way to work. Hoping the new cable improves connection consistency.

R.

Hi, I have an HTC One M9 and have had a few problems connecting with Columbus/AA. I have worked out a few things - changed the cable and it sorted failed connection problems.

When I want to connect to the car I attach the cable to the phone, wait for the prompt on the phone to appear asking if I want to allow transfer of data. Once I have said yes to this I then open AA from the menu. This sequence seems to make the connecting process quicker.

I now only have one problem - every 5 mins or so the AA screen on columbus freezes when I am using google maps, this can be corrected by pressing the power button on the phone and the map then jumps forward, I haven't worked a way round this yet.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag this back up but... did anyone manage to get Waze Beta working on their Columbus?

Tried a few times today but it only worked for like 2min and even then it wasn't the whole map thing just the arrows. Anyone got better luck?

Yep it works. You have to be a Beta tester for AA to get all the Updates, since in the last few days there were 3! updates until it works again. There are still bugs in the App, but that's why it is a BETA program and not a Official release. 

Also not all Cars are Supported with Waze, that's why you have to fill out the Form as a AA Beta Tester where they ask for your Car and Infotainment system 

• Like 1

You have to sing up once, fill everything and then wait for the Invite, if you get one! Not everyone gets one... its not closed, just not everyone gets in. In the Closed Beta forums they said that they hand pick every beta tester, so if you don't match there Profile you wont get in

Just for reference the quality of the cable does make a big difference. 

When I first picked up my car all I had was a cheap USB type C cable which I had in my bag to connect to my Nexus 6p.

.Android auto kept stalling.... Tracks would lose sound for a few second and it refused the charge correctly.. Also when it did charge my phone would get hot. 

Once back home I now use my Anker cables that everything is totally faultless. 

There are a lot of articles online about the quality of usb type c cables and unlike the former micro USB cables.. You do get what you pay for.... 

My advice is always use anker cables... Not the cheapest bit not the most expensive either... 

Edited by Zenbasses

Im

16 minutes ago, Smudgers said:

Parati,

Can you post the link ?

I'm away on a trip but if you look up Waze Android auto on youtube, you should be able to find it. That's where I found it too

Since originally posting and getting a better quality cable, I've had no issues.

Waze works great. Just a few functionality differences between the normal version though, but as it's still in beta, I'm guessing it will evolve. The speedo is being added back in a later release.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think you will get a invite when you installed it over apkmirror? Google knows all, also they know you got a beta version but not from them... 

the Beta is there for tests and to send bug reports and should not be shared over the internet. Because of that many Company's refuse to give Beta tests to almost anyone, just a few hand picked Developers and testers. 

Also the Beta version can harm your Device to, since the Code isn't completed yet and could send your information (Passwords etc.) to some other app without you knowing about it. There are more and more Hacks on phones these days since everyone tends to have everything on the Phone ( Bank accounts, PayPal,...) so do try to minimise the risk yourself.

And the *.apk files on apkmirror aren't certified from a know source so they could have been altered also.

But just saying :) 

Bit paranoid... just sayin'

I've used apks from day one on my first Galaxy S and have had zero issues. But hey, do you your own homework is what they say, right?

All working great here, very easy install, not full function set as beta, but atleast it works in Columbus.

have other systems for Speed cams, Speed warnings etc that all seem to function well.

• Like 1

Waze for Android Auto released today on Google Play. Just tried it but I know nothing about Waze - Managed to work out how to get it to display on the Columbus and input a route. 

Do you know what version of Waze is the one for adroid auto?

In google play I can find only 4.27.0.1, and that is from July.

I also installed waze from apkmirror, but every time I tried to run it, I could't find it. Only google maps.