Keep the Mark 1 or buy a Mark 2?

Hello

I'm on my 2nd Mk1. Both have been great cars. This last one, a 56 reg 1.4tdi 80 bhp has now done 100k. It's been totally reliable (always serviced based on the manufacturers maintenance schedule by an independent VW group garage). It's good to drive, accelerates very quickly and is good on diesel consumption. Now it's done 100k I'm thinking of changing it for a Mk2 2014 1.2tsi 86bhp. This will be a car made at the end of the Mk2 range - the Mk1 was made at the end of the Mk1 range. In my simple mind I think that all the tweaks have been done by this time at the end of production runs.

Because the Mk1 is so good to drive and reliable, I am wondering whether to keep it longer or to change it. I need a reliable car because from time to time I have to do 200 mile journeys to support family who experience periodic ill health - hence the need for reliability. I guess if in doubt I should go ahead and change the Mk1 for a Mk2. Anyone got any thoughts on this please? - would be pleased to hear them. Thanks

Welcome.

I think i would keep the reliable Mk1 as long as it is not costing you money and then when the time comes move onto a Mk3 Fabia which is a better drive and you can pick one that has anu snagging faults fixed because like Mk2's even late ones there are some issues.

• Like 1

Keep the diesel. Better mpg. More reliable engine. 100k is no problem for a diesel engine provided the oil & filter get changed every 10k. fuel & air filter every 20k. Costs nothing to stay with diesel.

I put 330,000 km on my mk1 1.4 tdi combi before the wife rang to tell me the engine had siezed (suspected oil pump drive.) Bought a hatch with half the mileage but a few dings and some dodgy wiring and will be swapping motors when the tax runs out on the hatch.imageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950da

20170421_210222-1.jpg

Edited by PD75

• 2 weeks later...