ChoonDoode's VRS TDi

Hello all,

I'm just after your advice on a few tweaks I've planned for my vrs tdi estate. I've read a number of other topics on here but I was just wanting a few bits clarifying.

I've already upgraded the power with a dtuk crd3 (helps with a full load) and the pedal box to give more flexibility with my right foot.

On my old car (Hyundai I20) I upgraded the brake pads to EBC greenstuff, which not only gave a bit more bite braking, but produced less brake dust I felt. I've seen on the EBC website the yellowstuff pads are available for the vrs, but are these a worth while swap. I won't be swapping the discs as grooved and drilled discs are no use nor ornament on the road. I'm just thinking a bit more braking power for safety.

The best thing I done to the Hyundai was fitting a set of Eibach lowering springs, as the stock springs had the car wallowing about through the corners and the bounciness was daft. I've seen a few conflicting posts over fitting lowered springs, coilovers and anti roll bars. All I'm after is the car to sit that bit lower (the gap between wheel and wing is a bit much I feel), not to roll if tossed into a corner, but not break ones back if I drive over a stone.

The last thing I'm considering is looking at the exhaust. Possibly getting the twin exhaust fitted so I've both outlets being used. Again, I had this done on my I20. I had a custom Powerflow exhaust fitted at Demon Tweeks and I was happy with it. It sounded great, looked good and was relatively cheap. The only issue came when doing 70 on the motorway and you had a constant droan!!! Would a baffled custom exhaust get me a bit of music if I put my right foot down but keep it sensible when cruising?

Again, apologies if some (if not all) of thsese questions have been answered

regards

Ian

Edited by ChoonDoode

The yellowstuff pads are pretty good but bejesus, do they produce dust! Be prepared to wash the wheels every other day. They don't last very long either...

That looks splendid! However I worry about the dsg going wrong standard, let alone at 225/x lb ft. Jealous of the 4x4, must be fun in the snow!

Edited by pdtrewern

On 6/24/2017 at 15:43, tunedude said:

I've already upgraded the power with a dtuk crd3 (helps with a full load) and the pedal box to give more flexibility with my right foot.

I have been looking at that also.  What's your opinion on it?

On 2017-6-26 at 06:17, Petunet said:

Something like this?

30728287815_1a50d8487e.jpg

Yeah that looks nice. Are your back boxes resonated or not?

1 hour ago, BNT1985 said:

I have been looking at that also.  What's your opinion on it?

Brilliant addition to the car. The increase in power is very noticeable even on the lowest setting. I tend to have on the highest......no point having the power available and not being able to have the use of it.

The pedal box sorts out the flat spots in the response from your right foot. It's a bit severe on the highest setting, either on or off, but on the medium setting it makes it a pleasure to drive. Calm when it needs to be, but full throttle isn't too far away. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Richies83 said:

This looks ace. Where did you get it? Also would it interfere with a removable towbar?

dont think it does, as its the same chassis as the petrol with the twin exhausts

Also, when I've been looking at the twin exhausts, a lot of places say; 

"Requires right-hand outlet and tip (part # 5E0253682E) and right-hand rear silencer hanging bracket with rubber mount (part # 5Q0253144N) from your local Skoda dealer"

I, however, can't find these parts for love nor money on the net and I rang my local VAG parts shop and he couldn't search with those part numbers.

If I had a custom exhaust fabricated, more than likely by Demon Tweeks, they shouldn't need to have those parts, would they?

10 hours ago, tunedude said:

Yeah that looks nice. Are your back boxes resonated or not?

They are these:

http://www.fox-sportauspuff.de/index.php?language=en&cName=car-skoda-octavia-5e-2,0l RS TDI 4x4-c-1_429_433_2779_3142

Actually they didn't have RS 4x4 version at the time I got mine so I  had to weld the outlets myself.

Current version looks bolt-on.

30080402533_b8a38c397b_z.jpg

Edited by Petunet
Pic added

10 hours ago, Richies83 said:

This looks ace. Where did you get it? Also would it interfere with a removable towbar?

http://www.fox-sportauspuff.de

I have a removable towbar, no problem.

With this came all the required brackets and rubber mounts but I welded an extension to the original tip:

32404197396_fd0df14c93_z.jpg

30082703474_e61bcb127a_z.jpg

Edited by Petunet
  • Like 1

From all what I've read regarding the exhaust, I'm still going to have a new exhaust put on, but I won't be going down the twin exhaust route. This is purely because having the twin exhaust would be no use nor ornament, would cost more to have done and I'd need to source the heat shielding for the right hand side. A bit more than what I can be bothered with.

I'm going to be taking a trip to Demon Tweeks on Monday morning and see what they'd be able to sort for me. Like I said in the first post, I'm after a bit of a tune if I rebury my right foot, but I don't want to have an exhaust which screams when I'm on the motorway.

I've decided as well just to invest in a set of lowering springs. Again, getting coilovers and anti roll bars, I feel, would be a little excessive considering I do a bit of fast road driving once a blue moon. I was attempting to get a set of spare alloys and stickier tyres, so I'd be able to do a track day or two, but I've recently invested a bit more money into my track bike, so it's been a case or one or the other. Also, I've decided not to touch the brakes for the same reason as well (and I don't feel I'd see a huge difference)

• 7 months later...
On 28/06/2017 at 06:04, Petunet said:

http://www.fox-sportauspuff.de

I have a removable towbar, no problem.

With this came all the required brackets and rubber mounts but I welded an extension to the original tip:

32404197396_fd0df14c93_z.jpg

30082703474_e61bcb127a_z.jpg

i know this is an oldish post but what else did you need? the heat deflector? anything else other than the collector for the extra pipe?

have you got a video of the sound?

Edited by JohnnyType2

I’ve had yellow stuff ebc brakes on my last Octavia and no issues with them part from the dust! 

Its hardly noticeable considering how much mud and dirt is normally on my car!

Aren't the EBC Yellow pads meant for the track and need some warming up? I think the best compromise is in the red ones, but since I have no experience of either, I will disclaim my opinion as just "hear-say" ;)

11 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

ive greenstuff on mine theres a fair amount of dust but braking is exceptional

I've got greenstuff pads and drilled grooved discs on the front of my Citroen C1 - it almost tips on its nose if I hit the brakes hard.

• 2 months later...

Right, so after one hell of a lot of searching, messaging other members (thanks to xpower, ahenners, pist0nbr0ke and JohnnyType2) umming, arring, swearing and time, I've finally purchased led front fog light bulbs and I've got them in today.

I also managed to find a new battery on ebay for £85. It was described as missing it's packaging and a bit shop soiled, but I can't see a thing wrong with it.

My main problem was the bulb type the VRS uses, H16. There appears to be 2 types of H16 bulb; h16 5202 and h16 (jp). Our cars use the latter one, but trying to find any from somewhere I felt I could trust was a bit difficult. The only branded ones which I found were Osrams, but they would have been £170 for 2 pairs. Not on your nelly!!!

But, I was reliably informed that H8 bulbs are basically the bulb, but they have a slightly larger mounting post. So an ebay hunt later and I found a some which seemed to fit the bill. https://tinyurl.com/yc459kpo 

The first picture is the standard H16 bulb and the second is the H8 led bulb. You can see the post on the left is about 3mm bigger. It was easy to cut this down to size, just used a pair of snips.

car3.thumb.jpg.6a339c1f32f4159c3b8f686d392ff1bd.jpg

car2.thumb.jpg.3476c78c4a9f85f8520148af319e79e3.jpg

Fitting the bulbs took 5 minutes, but it was a pain getting the under engine cover on and off, as I've only got a trolley jack to raise the car up, but shimmying under wasn't too bad, just a bit dirty.

Firing the car up brought up the predicted 'check bulb' error messages, but 2 ticks on vcds sorted those out.

Overall I'm very happy with the bulbs, as I feel they fit in with the standard drl's very well.

car6.thumb.jpg.91a935abb2701d8a8912ea244ac8b3ba.jpg

You can't really see the colour difference in the daytime photo, but it's certainly a whiter light and much better than the nasty halogen standards.

You can see it a bit better in a nighttime shot. Had to take it from the side, as even with the headlights turned off, the dazzle on the camera was quite distorting.

car7.thumb.jpg.00bf7e9c1b32d0fbac455ca9cd4abb79.jpg

Overall, very happy

Edited by tunedude
  • Like 2

How is the light pattern compared to originals?

Some LEDs that I've tried shatter the light everywhere except were they should.

Nice colour but they didn't put more light on to the road.

3 hours ago, Petunet said:

How is the light pattern compared to originals?

Some LEDs that I've tried shatter the light everywhere except were they should.

Nice colour but they didn't put more light on to the road.

These do a good spread of the light both at the front and to the sides, but appear to stay low.

They're intended use is as drl''s and I am happy with they're overall brightness in the daylight.

I saw other bulbs which claimed to have higher light output, but these are  certainly brighter than the halogens. I wouldn't want the housings getting damaged by any heat produced, as I saw some lights which come with huge heatsinks and fans