Tyre Damage

Hi All 

Whilst cleaning my car today I noticed a small amount of damage to the side wall right up against the alloy.

I did go over the mother of all potholes on the way to work a couple of weeks ago, I checked the wheels and tyres but obviously didn't spot this at the time.

Its about 1mm deep and not significant, how ever being of a "risk averse" pursuance I just wondered if anyone else thinks its OK.

Photos attached you can see my finger for scale!

Thank you in advance :)

IMG_8859.JPG

IMG_8860.JPG

IMG_8861.JPG

Tyre damage often results in very varied responses on here, and for good reason.

That looks superficial to me and I wouldn't be replacing the tyre.

• Like 1

Agree with the above. Should be fine. 

Pop a dot of superglue under the flap and all will be well. 

• Like 1

I agree its superficial and not to the cord.

BUT

I had just the same on the wifes car, pretty much the same shape, size and location and it was an MOT fail. No amount of discussion changed it.

• Like 1

Is that a Pirelli P-Zero by any chance?

I had a much bigger tear in my front nearside tyre courtesy of the most dangerous thing on the road (NO not WVM, Taxi) but the dreaded SURREY YUMMY MUMMY on the phone (handheld) in a Volvo SUV who forced my to take evasive action to avoid a collision.

The tyre lasted another 10 months and then on the opposite side of the tear the tyre wall developed a moderate sized bulge, so it had to be replaced at the grand cost of £165 (inc VAT, fitting and balancing).

I really hate Pirelli tyres they're absolute **** in terms of grip, wheel rim protection (I've got three rims damaged), traction/grip in the dry and they're absolutely dire in the wet. How a company can get away with selling such absolute dross I really don't know.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 or 3's are vastly superior to them.

Yup its a P Zero, to be fair to the tyre it was a really big thud when I hit the pothole - I was quite surprised when I couldn't find any damage at the time, I think I got off lightly as I have checked all round and it appears to be the only damage.

Annoyingly I avoid the pothole everyday as I have to drive past it on my commute, pretty much all the time I am crawling along in stop start traffic, that day I left work early so the road was clear and was zipping along at 40 mph enjoying my journey!

The joy of 19" alloys !!

6 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Is that a Pirelli P-Zero by any chance?

I had a much bigger tear in my front nearside tyre courtesy of the most dangerous thing on the road (NO not WVM, Taxi) but the dreaded SURREY YUMMY MUMMY on the phone (handheld) in a Volvo SUV who forced my to take evasive action to avoid a collision.

The tyre lasted another 10 months and then on the opposite side of the tear the tyre wall developed a moderate sized bulge, so it had to be replaced at the grand cost of £165 (inc VAT, fitting and balancing).

I really hate Pirelli tyres they're absolute **** in terms of grip, wheel rim protection (I've got three rims damaged), traction/grip in the dry and they're absolutely dire in the wet. How a company can get away with selling such absolute dross I really don't know.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 or 3's are vastly superior to them.

Good Grief! I paid £166 for 2 Eagle F1 A2's last year including vaT, valve and balancing. Premium tyres can't have doubled in price since then. ... Can they?

4 hours ago, FnkyMnky said:

Good Grief! I paid £166 for 2 Eagle F1 A2's last year including vaT, valve and balancing. Premium tyres can't have doubled in price since then. ... Can they?

At that price I suspect they will be 19", which are a bit more expensive than 18".

Yup they're 19 inch, they look really good (IMHO) however it seems that comes at a cost.

I am struggling to see the justification as to why 19 costs so much more than 18 inch - i know its all about reinforcement etc however you would of thought that larger alloys meant less rubber???

Prices vary greatly based on the volume of sales of that type/size.

Even for the same tyre size if you choose a non-standard profile it will increase the price  by €30-40.

I guess the 19" used by VW is not that common hence an increase in price.

I have almost exactly the same damage on one of my 19" wheels (possibly mine is a bit deeper).  When I took the car into Skoda dealer for a service I expected to have to get a new tyre (or two for balance) but they said on the video they sent me of the health check that it was OK as the cut only went down to rubber and not down to cords - but to keep an eye on it. If it starts showing 'cords' then that is when the tyre needs replacing. 

I drove about a 1000 miles with it - on motorways, up and down mountain roads with a full load of luggage without any problem.

By the way - I liked the video of the car health check.

38 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

Prices vary greatly based on the volume of sales of that type/size.

Ain't this the truth. I had a focus with 17" rims that weren't particularly sporty (50 profile) but the tyres were around £150 each for premium brands because it seemed to be a totally uncommon width/profile combination. One step in any direction would have halved the cost.