heavy steering - normal?

Hi All,

due to my new job I drive a lot of hire cars. I've noticed the steering on them is always much much lighter than on my 51 octavia estate. This has led me to wonder if there might even be something wrong with the power steering on my car. is it just heavier because of its age? To give some more detail, when turning the wheel when stopped, I really have to wrench it around, whereas on the Ford Focus estate ecoboost i was driving the other day you could practically turn the wheel with one finger

any advice much appreciated!

p.s also I have a small oil leak coming from the sump, is it common for octavias to leak from the gasket or the sump plug??

A lot of new cars these days have electric power steering which is very light when stationary or at low speed to aid parking. Your 51 plate Octavia has the old hydraulic power steering, if it's still the original PAS fluid it could need replacing that may make it a little bit lighter but will never be as light as modern day cars. There could also be other factors that can make steering feel heavy, i.e. low tyre pressures, seizing up ball joints, seizing up track rod ends, suspension top mounts failing and possibly rack issues.

@hebdenwill - Check the PAS fluid level on a cold engine and flat ground (because it's much easier when the fluid's not aeriated (and yes Speelchucker, "aeriated" is a real word meaning full of air bubbles)). Take note that, despite despite the claim in the Haynes book of lies, you will need a toggle grip to loosen the filler cap/dipstick.