Fabia vRS 1.9 to a Fiesta ST 1.6

I currently own an '07 plate mk1 Fabia vRS, which I have had for nearly five years! It now has just over 50k on the clock and has been 100% reliable. (touch wood)

It is unmodified apart from a Jabbasport rear anti roll bar, I wanted something reliable hence no other modifications.

There is nothing wrong with the Fabia, but I do keep having wrong thoughts about the little hot hatch with blue oval on the front.

The Fiesta ST 180, has anyone made the change from a mk1 Fabia vRS to the Fiesta ST 180, if so what did you think?

If I do make the change it will be for a Fiesta from 65 plate onwards as this is when Ford altered the suspension slightly (reduced the spring rate and made the ARB's thicker) as per the ST200.

Also I think I would like cruise control on the Fiesta (as my Fabia has it) so this means an ST3 spec really.

My first concern is build quality. I used to own a '06 plate Focus and the build quality was iffy, are the newer Fords put together better??

My other concern is OBD theft, seems quite easy to steal Fords with keyless start and an OBD port that is always live.

There seems quite a few options though, upgraded alarm packages, OBD protectors, OBD relocation kits, extra immobilisers. Any of these better than others?

I realise that the road tax and fuel costs will be slightly more with the Fiesta, but I only do 8K miles a year so not too bothered about this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I did not know the OBD issue included some Fords!  I have that "feature" on my 2011 S4 but it has conventional "stuff key into dash socket" for starting, and it could be taken by just breaking the driver's side front window and plugging into the OBD port with the correct software, unlock the car, clone a key and away it can go!  I've fitted an OBD blocker and use a "Disklok" - interesting to hear that insurers don't want to consider any of that stuff, the only solution they suppose if a tracker!  I'd rather stop the car being taken than be maybe able to find it after it has been hammered.

Buying a Ford, well I've always considered that Ford know their customer base and provide cars to keep them interested, so you should be okay moving back to them.  One thing though, most Ford owners hate, really hate anyone that buys a VW Group product, so you will need to go through a course for changing to be one of them, oh and Vauxhalls make them even more annoyed it seems!

I liked most of my Fords, it was just that they were too slow for me to change with the times when they were calling 5 speed gear boxes a fad and 16 valve engines would never catch on, so I moved on to other things and let them drag their own heels.

• Like 1

I think the Fiesta is a cracking car, it handles straight from the box and goes like stink.

The only problem is the pimply duck-billed ****s that drive them, but it's not quite as bad as Vauxhalls, but I couldn't live with the image, I'd have to do a sleeper version out of a Titanium.

If I could find a five door ST (rare as hens teeth!) and replace the ST badge with a Titanium badge, that might look more sleeper.. I like that idea.

I do agree though, most ST's round here are driven by the younger baseball cap generation.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a blast in one of these last weekend, my friend has a 4 month old Fiesta ST3 (totally standard) and she let me take it out on my own, very trusting!

I live in the sticks and the roads are really twisty, so I drove the Fiesta in the correct environment.

Very impressed, the handling and feedback were brilliant, reminded me of a 106 GTi I had back in the day. Totally different league to my Fabia.

I was surprised how torquey the engine was too, I guess this is helped by the Fiesta being 200kg less than the Fabia. It went like stink, the Mountune 215 must incredible.

No rattles from any interior trim either.

So I have just joined the Fiestastoc forum to look for horror stories.

35 minutes ago, Bogwoppit said:

So I have just joined the Fiestastoc forum to look for horror stories.

The horror story is the drooling, slack-jawed, duck-billed ****ty-pussies that drive them :biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

The horror story is the drooling, slack-jawed, duck-billed ****ty-pussies that drive them :biggrin:

I work with someone who owns a 2007 ST... he is an A hole who rags it from cold pulling out of the car park wheel spinning every day.

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update to this, I traded my Fabia vRS for a 1 owner, low mileage 2016 Fiesta ST2 (with style pack and sat nav) last weekend and so far all seems good.

I really liked the blue colour, but settled on red as it is a lot rarer on an ST.

Currently getting 38mpg average on my daily commute compared to 45 with the Fabia, but the smiles per miles have increased. It has heated bum warmers which has also helped this week.

I haven't had a proper play in the Fiesta yet as the roads here have been slippery, but it feels very tight and direct compared to the Fabia.

I have already fitted cruise control to it and also uprated the security.

I would post some photos up, but as I am with photobucket, none of my photos work anymore.

If anyone looking for a Fabia vRS in the next couple of weeks, comes across a 07 plate, silver one with roughly 55k miles, pm me because it was more than likely mine.

No horror stories to speak of, in fact quite the opposite, 5 years of bulletproof motoring. I will miss the Fabia.

Just off to buy a baseball cap....

15 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Make sure to wear it pushed right back, also make sure your mouth hangs open while driving.

You forgot the 30 degree leaned back driving position, tilted towards the middle, one hand on the wheel, other constantly adjusting cap/radio/phone or otherwise gestitulating crap to passengers/other motorists...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, vindaloo said:

You forgot the 30 degree leaned back driving position, tilted towards the middle, one hand on the wheel, other constantly adjusting cap/radio/phone or otherwise gestitulating crap to passengers/other motorists...

I know right, I got cut up by a yoof in a red ST the other week, overtook me on the inside in heavy traffic then swerved in front and braked sharply, started gesticulating wildly when I hooted and flashed him for forcing me to brake hard at motorway speeds. I laughed like a drain and just shook my head prompting more frantic gesticulation.

I know the car's good, but the drivers just aren't...

• 1 month later...

My old Fabia vRS has popped up for at sale Trustford in Runcorn, silver, 07 plate, 54k on the clock.

If anyone is after an unmodified, well looked after Fabia it could be worth a look. No horror stories to tell, I only traded it in after 5 years of ownership as I was bored.

Edited by Bogwoppit

1 hour ago, Bogwoppit said:

My old Fabia vRS has popped up for at sale Trustford in Runcorn, silver, 07 plate, 54k on the clock.

If anyone is after an unmodified, well looked after Fabia it could be worth a look. No horror stories to tell, I only traded it in after 5 years of ownership as I was bored.

The only horror story is that you'd have to go to Runcorn to get it and pay through the nose for it no doubt.

• 2 years later...

I thought I better update this thread, as it's been a while.

I've still got the Fiesta ST, it's now got a huge 15,000 miles on the clock, only had 1800 miles when I got it.

Its been my daily since it was bought, you can see by my mileage why I didn't need a diesel.

So far touch wood, it hasn't missed a beat and nothing has fallen off it. Averaged 35mpg since I've had it. 

It's good fun to drive and feels quicker than it really is.

Modifications wise , I removed the ST badge from the back, as it is a red flag to a bull with this sort of car unfortunately. 

I've added a few upgrades from Mountune, Milltek and it's running a little more power. 

A remap makes a huge difference, as the standard car has the boost restricted in the first 2 gears, I guess to make the car considerably slower to 60 than the Focus ST? Who knows.

It still looks standard, and it hasn't got a loud exhaust/air filter/decat/pop 'n bang map which is very rare for a Fiesta ! :giggle:

I'm too old for all that.

Just a shame as mentioned above that a lot of fools buy them, which gives them the bad image.

That and so many 1.0 Ecoboosts with no silencers modified to look like ST's.

The car can be quite tiring though when you just want to drive at 5/10 pace.

Our other car, a mk7.5 Golf is a lot better at this than the Fiesta. 

Not thinking of getting rid of it soon, but honestly not sure what I would replace it with.

20171123_175406.thumb.jpg.f63220de5c2c252ac088bacb5fcdf41c.jpg

Edited by Bogwoppit