Oily Smell in car SKODA YETI 1.2 TSI

GLEO

I have been suffering from a slightly oily smell inside the car for about 4 months.

After looking really closely under the bonnet I finally traced it to a broken off return (PCV ?) valve which is attached to the top of the engine. 

As the valve is underneath a larger plastic part of the intake system it not that easy to see.

As I pulled the pipe out I saw the broken part and traces of oil in that area, in the pic you can see the small broken valve casing outlet tube.

Just needed to buy a replacement,   it was really bugging me and I assume its a fairly common problem ?

happy bunny     

IMG_0422.JPG

• 7 months later...
7 minutes ago, Rogie said:

If you don’t mind me asking how much was replacement part as I have also smell issue? 

Gleo hasn't been back on the forum since his last post.

• 10 months later...
On 25/01/2019 at 18:15, MortenVinding said:

I’m going to replace mine on a Caddy 1.2 ‘tis.

But I’m wondering: what do you do about the broken off spigot in the top over?

I’m afraid to just push it in to the top cover/cylinder head.

Very right to be worried, do not just push the new part in!

Use long nose pliers to pull the broken plastic pipe still lodged in the grommet on the camshaft cover. If you have trouble recovering it, then carefully pull the rubber grommet out taking care not to push the plastic in. If it does get in, (I made this mistake), it can find itself in the camshaft valve mechanism and hold a valve open, which then can hit a piston. My engine stalled when restarted after a lot of sicken crunching noises, I was very lucky to get away with it!

Very common fault BTW, another example of shlt quality from Vag suppliers. Revised design from 2012 onwards showing VAG knows its a problem.

Had a look at mine. I’ve had a fume problem but only slight. The spigot hasn’t broken but it wasn’t seated home fully. The rubber grommet has split. No wonder, the spigot wants to go in at an angle. I hope I can buy just the grommet.

Does the new part come with the grommet?

5CD5B813-3BD4-410E-800D-579F36FD2C36.jpeg

Edited by vRSG60

Very right to be worried, do not just push the new part in!

Use long nose pliers to pull the broken plastic pipe still lodged in the grommet on the camshaft cover. If you have trouble recovering it, then carefully pull the rubber grommet out taking care not to push the plastic in. If it does get in, (I made this mistake), it can find itself in the camshaft valve mechanism and hold a valve open, which then can hit a piston. My engine stalled when restarted after a lot of sicken crunching noises, I was very lucky to get away with it!

Wow thanks for the heads-up! Didn't knew it could go that wrong, just had a feeling it was a bad idea to have foreign objects in the engine.

Very common fault BTW, another example of shlt quality from Vag suppliers. Revised design from 2012 onwards showing VAG knows its a problem.

Yes first the chain problems and now this. Also had a recall for something about the turbo and some ball-bolt holding the boot-door struts. All on óne single car!

This is my first VAG car, previously I have bought mostly Opel (Vauxhall) cars, have gone trough 4 of those and never had nearly as many problems.

But the Caddy's quality is still FAR better than the one (and ONLY!) Peugoet I once had.

I'm a cheapskate so I ordered the PCV value from China: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Volksw-agen-Au-di-Seat-Sko-da-Breather-Hose-One-Way-Valve-OEM-030103175B/32861365242.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3ac04c4dcaqVi0

3.93 USD including shipping... I'm willing to take the change.

Thank you so much for you help

my fabia got a work out last night as i was late for somewhere and ever since ive had fumes in the car , my wife took the car to work today and noticed it , im yet to check if its this valve on her car , our is a 2013 fabia 1.2 tsi monte carlo , ill check it tonight , it must be cause i pushed it through the gears:thinking:

My one way valve was broken .I took the grommet out but no plastic bit inside. No idea what's happened to it .

Made a temp repair to stop the smell .just converted a pipe from the grommet to the air box, no one way valve though .until I get a new one .

Just for info.  My girlfriend's Yeti 1.2 TFSi Jan 2011 had this problem.  I had thought the car had been consuming a bit of oil and then the car became a bit smelly in the interior due to oil fumes - didn't help the car sick daughter one bit!    I had a look and some an oily mess on the mid-lower RHS of the engine block.   The garage changed the aforementioned piece and the problem has been eliminated. 

My top tip:  clean engine and engine bay area and then any oil or leak issues are revealed on a monthly basis when you have a quick look with a hand torch... 

• 2 weeks later...

I happened on this thread a couple of days after my wife started complaining about the car smelling "funny". Having ruled out it being me (well, at my age you can't rule out anything) and deciding it was an oily smell I thought my Yeti guardian angel was watching over me and bringing me to the solution. But I can't find any breaks in pipework around the engine so I'm back to square 1. The smell seems strongest if I hover over the cover over the HT leads but I can't see any sign of oil. leakage Before I trundle off to the local garage (at six years old I think we've done with main dealers) has anyone any suggestions of what the problem might be? Not surprisingly it is most noticeable when sat behind someone in a queue and, possibly unrelated, my paranoia has now identified an odd noise that I hadn't noticed before - my wife describes it as sounding like a cat softly purring. Ah, modern cars - I wonder if I could get my old Ford Anglia back - at least then when it made an odd noise it was simply a sign it was still working. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all, 

This part has failed on me also. 

What is the best way to get out the old bit from the head?

Thanks very much 

• 4 weeks later...

After my post back in February I dropped the car into the local garage for them to take a look and they couldn't find anything (but very decently they also didn't charge me). Shortly after I did a few long runs (350+ miles in a day) and the problem seemed to go away - occasionally there was a slight whiff of oil but usually sitting in traffic so hard to decide if it was my car or someone else's. Then a a couple of days ago I was poking around under the bonnet (in a very uninformed sort of way, and bingo! A hose with a broken connection on the one way valve! Presumably back in February it had partially broken but there was enough left holding the two bits together to hide the problem. A quick visit to ebay and two days later a new valve was delivered for £8.99 and was fitted this morning. As others have said its an easy fix but it helps if you have small hands! To make sure I didn't push the remains of the broken pipe into the engine I pulled the grommet out (with the help of a blunt screwdriver) having first put some old clothes around the engine compartment to catch the grommet if I dropped it. (I did, both getting it out and refitting, so the extra time was well spent). Biggest problem was getting the now cleared grommet back in its hole - a tight fit and not a lot of space to work in - but the same blunt screwdriver helped with this. The new valve then pushed straight in, I connected the breather pipe and job done. 

I'm posting my update to suggest if anyone else has the oily smell but the valve doesn't seem broken it might be worth removing the valve to properly inspect it and , once it's out, maybe even change it just to be sure; with a bit of preparation it's a quick and stress free job.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I have the same issue. Got some work done and notice the valve was broken. It was wedged in between two pipes so it stayed in place but oil spray gave it away. The spigot was not in the grommet so presume it's in the head. Do you's think it will be okay or will I bring it to garage to have the cam cover removed. I ordered a new valve and grommet from skoda as I need to move the car so I will have to start her up. I have a scope so will see if it's still inside. 

8 minutes ago, RoryM said:

The spigot was not in the grommet so presume it's in the head. Do you's think it will be okay or will I bring it to garage to have the cam cover removed. I ordered a new valve and grommet from skoda as I need to move the car so I will have to start her up. I have a scope so will see if it's still inside. 

You can't remove just the cam cover as it has the camshaft integrated, so you would have to to remove, timing covers, chain, and possibly sump, which on turn needs to drain the coolant and remove the front exhaust pipe .

The broken end has the potential to find its way into the valve operating mech and hold a valve open. Check to see if its still in the rubber gromment in the cam cover and carefully extract it. The rubber grommet can be removed if required. Do not simply push the new valve in before you check.

Thanks for the reply, it's not in the grommet I removed it. Had a look with the scope inside and no joy either. A bit worried about it now only had the chain replaced which was expensive job itself, looks like same job to even look inside the cover!