How to know if I've High Beam Assist and Lane Assist?

I didn't realise that I have high beam assist until the last diagnostic shows that I have High Beam Assist Control module faulty.

I had a auto wiper sensor faulty before that and now this hba. car is with the seller to get these fixed and they are replacing the Auto wiper sensor and rear view mirror to get them working though I think hba sensor is not integrated with the mirror and its a separate part behind the mirror, hence it is out of my mind why they are changing rear view mirror to get hba or auto wipe  fixed. anyway, I am wondering if I have lane assist too. I can see one small white sensor right behind the interior mirror (left side) and there were another black camera type sensor which I believe to be hba sensor behind the mirror.

Can someone please help me understand what is what sensor around the rear View mirror and if I have Lane assist where that sensor would be?

thank you in advance.

I believe the Lane Assist sensor and the HBA sensor are one and the same. Hence why all vrs can have HBA enabled using VCDS. It just needs the Lane Assist sensor to work.

When you look at the rear view mirror housing from the front of the car, the circular sensor is the rain sensor and the V-like aperature is the Lane Assist / HBA sensor. 

Lane Assist and High beam assist are done via a camera. It is the left bit of this image with the V-like aperture described above

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Lane_Assist.jpg/220px-Lane_Assist.jpg

If you have high beam Assist, when you push back the stalk (to turn on high beam) you should see a High Beam symbol with a little "A" appear on the Maxidot. It won't actually turn high beam on until it's dark enough. If you push the stalk back and high beam comes on, then you either haven't got it, or it's not enabled. Or... You're in an incredibly dark place with no light whatsoever and have it :)

Just to add that you can have High Beam Assist but not have Lane Assist.

Lane Assist uses a high spec camera which also enables High Beam Assist, but there is also a low spec camera that enables High Beam Assist but NOT Lane Assist.

My 2015 1.4TSI Elegance has the low spec camera so I have HBA but not LA.

Thanks everyone for the reply...I don't have v shape sensor at all l..the one I have is behind the mirror but not attached with the windscreen. its like a camera...but definerely its some kind of sensor..I'll look at google if I can find the picture.

A MY2014 elegance will not have lane assist as standard, if you note the number from the sticker in your boot, you will be able to look up WHAT optional extras the car was built with.

Edited by themanwithnoaim

37 minutes ago, automass said:

Thanks everyone for the reply...I don't have v shape sensor at all l..the one I have is behind the mirror but not attached with the windscreen. its like a camera...but definerely its some kind of sensor..I'll look at google if I can find the picture.

If the camera is in the mount for the rear view mirror, it's only for HBA.

A lane assist camera is much bigger and will be in a V shaped aperture.

The second sensor on the rear view mirror is for the auto dimming rear view mirror.

• Like 1

You sound right, but auto dimming sensor is in the front of the mirror, next to the button which is quite obvious aand also explained in the manual. what about the backside of the mirror..that white sensor! What is that for?

Nb: why they are replacing the rear view mirror to fix the hba..it is in the mount of rear view mirror as you said which may need to be replaced if it was faulty, isn't it?

Edited by automass

Auto dimming mirror has two sensors, one on the front, one on the back. One of which is the white square you mention.

Although the HBA camera is in the mount, it's not available as a separate part so the entire mount/mirror assembly is replaced.

• Thanks 1

Ive got a setting on the maxidot to turn the lane assist on and off I think HBA was a paid option on the my16 vrs. Have you got the setting?

1 hour ago, 220 said:

Ive got a setting on the maxidot to turn the lane assist on and off I think HBA was a paid option on the my16 vrs. Have you got the setting?

If you have lane assist, I believe that HBA and traffic sign recognition are a VCDS change away :) 

As I haven't got a MK3 I don't know the settings but this may help: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23366

• Like 1

I got my car back with HBA and Auto wiper working order. now about HBA...do i need to always manually activate the HBA by pushing the left stalk away (spring-tensioned position) or there is some tweak to have it always enabled when headlight is in auto mode? 

8 hours ago, automass said:

I got my car back with HBA and Auto wiper working order. now about HBA...do i need to always manually activate the HBA by pushing the left stalk away (spring-tensioned position) or there is some tweak to have it always enabled when headlight is in auto mode? 

What did they do to fix it? Mine was a faulty sensor that went just inside warranty.
Yes, you do have to enable it every time you start the car.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

HBA can be coded via VCDS to 'remember' its last position when you start the car, working on mine.

I.e. if it was active when I switched off, it will be active when I restart, regardless of time period.

wow!!! thats great and exactly thats what i was looking for..is it safe to do it through OBDEleven just in case if you are OBDEleven user. I've seen an app regarding this. 

25 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

What did they do to fix it? Mine was a faulty sensor that went just inside warranty.
Yes, you do have to enable it every time you start the car.

They have changed the light/rain sensor and whole unit of interior rear view mirror. I guess HBA can not be bought separately, someone in this forum said me.

45 minutes ago, automass said:

wow!!! thats great and exactly thats what i was looking for..is it safe to do it through OBDEleven just in case if you are OBDEleven user. I've seen an app regarding this. 

No idea re OBD11, here's the relevant post:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/299424-octavia-iii-vcds-adaptations-tried-and-tested/?page=2#comment-3770229

1 hour ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

HBA can be coded via VCDS to 'remember' its last position when you start the car, working on mine.

I.e. if it was active when I switched off, it will be active when I restart, regardless of time period.

If you leave your lights in AUTO, HBA will be on every time you start your car, turning the switch away from AUTO, HBA has to be turned back on via the LEft hand stalk.

Well that how it works on my 230.  

1 hour ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

If you leave your lights in AUTO, HBA will be on every time you start your car, turning the switch away from AUTO, HBA has to be turned back on via the LEft hand stalk.

Well that how it works on my 230.  

Yes, correct, thanks - I forgot to mention that changing switch from Auto position would cancel HBA. Mine live in Auto...

Edited by pist0nbr0ke

8 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

I did it through the app by OBD11. it works like charm though i haven't had time to try it but in maxidot display i can see the Auto high beam icon every time i turn the engine on.