2014 Octavia VRS diesel starting problem

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've just recently purchased a vrs diesel automatic 2014 Octavia. It has low miles on, 29000. Everytime I come to start it when it's been left a while, it doesn't start straight away it kinda ticks over and struggles for maybe 5-6 seconds. Does anybody else have this problem or know what it could be? It's still under warranty and they've said they can't find anything wrong. 

Hi

It is a known problem - mine had it. And had been fixed by Skoda. If you do a search on this forum, you should be able to find the details. 

As above, theres a software update for the 2L diesels to improve the starting time.

Several have commented that it improves but perhaps doesnt corrects the problem all the time.

I'll try to search for the thread because the TSB number was attached which you could give to the dealer to tell them to check that this update has been applied.

A diesel should never take 6s to start at normal ambient températures & should start much faster than this even below -20°C.

Have a read of this thread, sounds like the same issue as yours:

The image doesn't show on my browser but the software fix is referred to as 320F:

IMG_8576.JPG

Worked for me! My vRS sits on my drive for weeks, and since my upgrade always starts first time.

In my case the update seemed to fix the problem but the issue slowly returned in 2-3 months.

It's still better than before updating but still starts ugly sometimes.

Cranking-cranking-cranking-almost fires up-cranking-cranking...finally fires up but the engine starts with a big 'kick'.

I am still wondering what the heck is it. Injection timing problem?

I'm pretty sure its injector drift (a deviation between what the ecu "thinks" its injecting & what is actually delivered).

Common rail system manufactures have lots of very complicated software now to try to monitor/estimate what the injector is actually delivering at different quantity & load points.

Coded injectors from manufacturing & then algorithms which try to look at the injector current profile or crankshaft acceleration from each injection.

This starting issue seems to me like the injector is delivering less fuel than expected during start.

As they released as software fix/improvement for it, I'd suspect the older software/calibration was not correctly compensating for the injector characteristics when starting.

However its difficult to tell whether this is really a inherent injector hardware issue or just a software mistake/improvement.

Its obviously much easier to change the software than replace an injector so this will always be the first option from a manufacturer.

Video it with your smartphone if you've got one, did the trick for me.

I've had the software updated but has since done it again though much less frequently. I now wait a couple of seconds after turning the ignition on for all the systems to power up before cranking, seems to work but it could just be my imagination?

I think the injector drift is a plausible explanation, my car was much smoother  / quieter after the update but a couple of months later it's back to original, very rattly again during DSG gear changes when cold but disappears after a couple of miles or if I'm accelerating a bit harder?

Good luck

• 1 year later...