KESSY Key fob battery change

Having bought the correct battery I now need to change it because a warning has come up on the dash.  I have read the instructions in the manual about inserting a screwdriver in the slot where the spare key sits but I just cannot get the fob to open.  Admittedly I am frightened to use too much force in case I damage the fob.  Any advice please?  (I have searched the forums but no advice found about actually getting at the battery.)

It can be quite fiddly but more often than not it's getting the screwdriver correctly located into the releasing catch that's the tricky part and not the sliding of the fob which only needs to move a few millimetres before it pops off.

Once open it's a doddle to change the battery,

DSC00431.thumb.jpg.6950f668aef81ee3f2c2e94536bc7aad.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 03/01/2018 at 22:02, paul_7_7_7 said:

That video isn't right and risks damaging the casing. However the way to do it is far from obvious, hopefully this picture will show where you are trying to get the screwdriver to go once you have removed the key. You are trying to get the tip of a small (3mm is a bit small, 5mm is too big) screwdriver to do down along side the little ramp (you can run it down the inside of the casing in the top half, just above the join line between the two halves) then give a little twist and a gap will open that you can get you finger nail into and pop that side of the cover off, then lift the cover a little and push the cover (fairly firmly) towards the other side to unhook it.

Thanks for the pics and also for the bolded hints, was struggling with opening it also after watching videos, but this really helped.

• 5 months later...

Just what I need. I’ve just bought my first Skoda (Superb estate 2016) and I have the warning light too. 

Mid the Panasonic CR 2032 the correct battery for all? 

Ill get one and give it a try - yikes! 

• 3 months later...

I’m a real wuss, afraid to mess my

keys up. Great that you’re happy Rocket. 

I’m brand new to the battery change thing, and picked up this thread after trying to work out how to get the cover off. The electronic guide tells to go to a page that refers to car battery change! The printed guide is as everyone says, unclear as to where the screwdriver goes. I initially read it as going into the void left by the removed physical key blade but quickly decided that was not correct as nothing’s in there other than the void. 

So I saw a hole further inboard which was promising, and made more sense, as the screw driver blade would definitely be in an area more likely to hold a release catch. But it’s blocked by a rubbery plug that I think is to make the physical key hold more firmly in its storage. Maybe that plug is not present on earlier keys and is simply removed to get the screwdriver in. I don’t know but so far I have shied away at  pulling it out. I wondered what others have found. Thanks 

B467A53C-736F-4DEF-9131-1497130B188A.jpeg

@davembk: Read the post made by @paul_7_7_7 for the method of working the release catch.

If you remove the rubbery plug you can't replace it and it only helps keep the key blade tightly in place.

I have been trying on one of the keys from my now written off L&K and the method posted by @paul_7_7_7 definately worked for me.

3 hours ago, Nick_H said:

I wonder how much the dealers charge for this.

Ours charged a fiver for the wife's Fabia keyfob battery change. Of course, the problem wasn't the fob, it was that the Fabia was a lemon. Dunno how much her new Honda dealer would charge 😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

used the info to replace the battery on  my 2.5 year old  superb fob. Used a small electricians screwdriver (the one that lights up) and that worked a treat. Battery cost was £2.50 for 4. timpsons wanted £10 to replace it or £5 just for a battery.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Lena said:

To unclerichy: what happened to your lemon car? I seem to have bought my car out of the same fruit tree 😥 am now battling with the Skoda dealer 

Hi @Lena It was picked up by BCA (British Car Auctions) and went to auction.  The registration was **16 ZXN.  I hope this isn't your new car 👍

• 3 months later...

I've just changed the battery for my Skoda Superb (2017). paul_7_7_7's post worked for me - but the screwdriver blade size was critical. Mine was just under 5mm - smaller ones just did not work!

I know why they try and make these cases secure (i.e. difficult to open) - I had a Hyundai once whose key fob had to be held closed with duct tape!

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/01/2018 at 21:02, paul_7_7_7 said:

That video isn't right and risks damaging the casing. However the way to do it is far from obvious, hopefully this picture will show where you are trying to get the screwdriver to go once you have removed the key. You are trying to get the tip of a small (3mm is a bit small, 5mm is too big) screwdriver to do down along side the little ramp (you can run it down the inside of the casing in the top half, just above the join line between the two halves) then give a little twist and a gap will open that you can get you finger nail into and pop that side of the cover off, then lift the cover a little and push the cover (fairly firmly) towards the other side to unhook it.

Thanks @paul_7_7_7! This was just what I needed! Great clear explanation and screwdriver poking through pic was v helpful!

• 1 year later...