Skoda SOS Error.

wiggi

Happened to me the first time at the beginning of the week? 

Restarted the car a couple of times and error message gone away and Infotainment system booted up albeit a little slowly? Hasn't happened since? Random? 

I’ve had the same issue on my Karoq that I picked up in December just gone.  It’s in for its third attempt at rectification today. This time it’s the SOS control unit being replaced. The first two occasions they did a system 30 reset and then a software update. Hopefully I might get a positive result with the replacement unit.  

• 2 months later...

My battery went flat and later on died :) and this SOS error came up on dashboard.  I replaced my cheap factory EFB battery with AGM battery Bought from local auto parts shop) and now i have a start /stop in action :)  But the SOS error did not disappear . So i went to Skoda dealer and they booked me for diagnostics in 2 weeks ( 170 euro)  + i have been told i am going to be charged extra for any  parts my car  would needs :)  + some updates...  5 min later i went to next door small local garage where a mechanic connected a computer to my car to check faults. it was 53 faults (because the battery died) so he cleared all of them and disconected.  AND ... The SOS error sign is gone ! :))) Dealers are scaming us! They know exactly how to reset that sign but want to make money! The only question is do my new battery needs coding? 
Skoda superb 2018

No, the new battery doesn’t need “coding”; ours was replaced with a new, higher rated unit by the RAC two weeks ago after the OE one - which was five years old - was dead. 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I had this "no SOS" problem as well (67 plate Superb SEL Executive).

It started for me on a camping trip a couple of weeks ago and the culprit was (i believe, and this thread sort of confirms it) a low battery.

Also confirming the cause, I replaced the previous EFB battery last week with an AGM (Varta E39 - #570 901 076) and the fault disappeared.

I was also reading this thread and others about the new-battery-coding-issue and can confirm that mine needed to be recoded, or at least, lots of faults appeared after the new battery was inserted and the (local) garage needed the VCDS to fix them.

---

I've had my concerns about the EFB battery that came with this car; it was bought last October with 18k on the clock but I noticed that the start-stop didn't work quite a lot of the time.  Reading around in Briskoda led me to suspect that the battery wasn't really up to it and battery readings (often as low as 11.6v at rest) suggested that the battery was struggling.  I realise that modern battery diagnostics are more complex than an at-rest reading, and am also conscious that there's not been a great deal of mileage (=battery charging) during lockdown etc. since OCtober 2020, but the camping trip experience resolved me to get the new battery in asap.

Specifically, after driving 64 miles over 1hr 15 mins, I pumped up two single air mattresses with the engine not running, and then put the engine on to do the next two single mattresses.  The car then said "your battery is very low, you should go for a drive to charge it up".

---

The AGM is now in, the SOS error message is gone, the start-stop works all the time, and the local garage very kindly installed the new battery (that I had delivered from Tayna) free of charge.  All good.

---

NB - not long after the purchase last October, I took the car back to the Skoda dealer from whom it was purchased to check the EFB battery performance and they said it "was all within parameters" and would not replace it.

• 3 months later...

If you're presented with this error.

I've found a way of clearing it without having to stop the engine.

Press and hold the emergency call button until the system reboots that component.

Things to note..

1) You have to hold the button for a minute/s +

2) It may attempt to contact the emergency services upon reboot.. so be ready to press cancel on the head unit.

Folks,

I know I bang on about this, but I suspect that your MIB system firmware maybe causing these random error messages.  On my MK3 Octavia VRS, it had SOS function and it kept on doing this.  It seemed to be caused by connectivity issues to the onboard SIM and kept on flaking out.  I upgraded to version 0478 (firmware on Bolaro / Amunsden) and the problem went away.  Latest firmware is 0480.

Could be an easy fix.

• 9 months later...

Hi, I've had the SOS alarm up for a couple of days now. 

I tried holding the SOS button until it made the call, and then cancelling. This didn't work. 

What has worked to clear the alarm was press and hold the infotainment power button for around a minute. This seems to have triggered a couple of soft reboot cycles, which has cleared the alarm. For now anyway... 

• Thanks 2

On 20/07/2022 at 22:09, Borrible said:

Hi, I've had the SOS alarm up for a couple of days now. 

I tried holding the SOS button until it made the call, and then cancelling. This didn't work. 

What has worked to clear the alarm was press and hold the infotainment power button for around a minute. This seems to have triggered a couple of soft reboot cycles, which has cleared the alarm. For now anyway... 

Did this solve the yellow warning triangle on the dash? I've tried the soft reboot of infotainment but to no avail, I was thinking of doing master reset but wasn't sure this would do anything with the warning triangle errors. 

I have vcds and have run a scan and cleared all the codes but sos error remains. 

I just have to take it into skoda.